Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

>> WELCOME EVERYONE TO THE SPECIAL CALLED MEETING FOR JULY 17, 2020.

[1. Meeting Called to Order by Chair Anderson]

[00:00:08]

WE'LL START AT 12:02 P.M.

I'M GOING TO CALL THE ROLL IF YOU COULD TELL ME YOU ARE PRESENTED WHEN I CALL YOUR NAME.

CINDY ANDERSON, HERE.

>> VERONICA NOLAND.

SHE'S FROZEN.

>> MEGHAN ALDEHYDERTON.

>> PRESENT.

>> RAILMY GENTRY IS ABACCIDENT.

>> GREEN.

>> HERE.

>> MARGARET,.

>> HERE.

>> CHRISTOPHER.

>> HERE.

>> HEATHER AUTHORITY ON THE.

>> HERE.

>> VERONICA IS HERE.

I'M NOT SURE WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO WITH THAT.

WE SEE SHE'S HERE BUT SHE'S FROZEN.

DO I SAY THAT WE'RE EIGHT OR SEVEN?

>> I'M SURE SHE'LL BE ABLE TO LOG BACK IN.

[2. Observe a Moment of Silence]

>> WE'RE EIGHT PRESENT, ONE ABSENT.

SHE'S GOING TO BE ABLE TO COME BACK.

SO NOW WE WILL START WITH A MOMENT OF SILENCE.

>> NOW COULD I HAVE A MOTION TO ADOPT TODAY'S AGENDA.

>> I MOVE TO ADOPT THE AGENDA FOR JULY 17, 2020.

>> WE HAVE A SECOND TO ADOPT THE AGENDA.

[3. Adopt the Agenda for the July 17, 2020 Special Called School Board Meeting]

MRS. NOLAN WAS GOING TO PLAY A PART IN THIS.

SHE'S HAVING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES TO AMEND THE AGENDA.

I THINK YOU RECEIVED IT A SUPPLEMENTAL PERSONNEL ACTIONITE THAT WILL NEEDS TO GO ON THE CONSENT CALENDAR.

>> I APOLOGIZE.

I HAD TECHNOLOGICAL ISSUES.

>> WE FIRST NEED A MOTION -- WE HAVE THAT.

>> WE HAVE A MOTION AND SECOND.

WE NEED TO AMEND IT HERE IF WE ARE AMEND.

>> I MOVE WE ADD THE SUPPLEMENTAL PERSONNEL ACTIONS TO THE CONSENT CALENDAR.

>> SECOND.

>> DR. RECEIVE SECONDS THE MOTION.

I WILL CALL FOR A VOTE ON THE AMENDMENT.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> THAT IS 8 YES AND ONE ABSENT.

NOW WE HAVE TO ACTUALLY GO AND VOTE FOR THE AGENDA AS IT HAS BEEN AMENDED.

SO WE HAVE THAT MOTION AND A SECOND.

I'M NOW GOING THE CALL FOR THE VOTE FOR THAT NEWLY AMENDED AGENDA.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> SO THAT IS EIGHTS YES AND ONE ABSENT.

NOW WE HAVE -- WE DO HAVE PUBLIC COMMENT THAT HAS BEEN POSTED TO THIS MEETING.

WE HAVE TEN PUBLIC COMMENTS I THINK RIGHT NOW.

AND SO AS PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THAT YOU CAN SUBMIT THESE PUBLIC COMMENTS FOR ANY OF OUR MEETINGS AHEAD OF TIME AND THAT WAY THE PUBLIC GETS TO SEE THEM AS WELL AS THE BOARD MEMBERS.

YOU CAN ALSO CONTINUE TO SEND IT TO THE BOARD AND EMAIL ALL OF US PLUS THE SUPERINTENDENT RECEIVE THAT.

NOW WE'RE ON TO THE CONSENT CALENDAR.

[Consent Calendar]

IF I COULD GET A MOTION TO APPROVE THE CONSENT CALENDAR.

>> I MOVE THAT WE APPROVE THE CONSENT CALENDAR.

>> SECOND.

>> OK.

AND SO IS THERE ANYTHING TO REMOVE FROM THAT CONSENT CALENDAR?

[00:05:02]

WE ONLY ADDED THE ONE THING.

I WILL CALL FOR THE VOTE ON THE CONSENT CALENDAR.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> SO THAT IS EIGHT YES AND ONE ABSENT.

NOW WE'RE GOING ON TO THE CONTINUITY OF LEARNING PLAN FOR UPDATE.

[7. Continuity of Learning Plan 4.0 Update (documents uploaded 7/15)]

I'M GOING TO TURN IT OVER THE DR. HUTCHINGS.

>> THANK YOU MADAM CHAIR.

WE HAVE AWE GREAT TEAM ON HERE.

WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE OUT THIS INFORMATION WITH YOU ALL.

THIS IS UNPRECEDENTED TIMES.

DR. HUTCHINGS HAS SAID THAT A MILLION TIMES.

IT IS RIGHT.

LIKE IT IS JUST TIMES THAT NOBODY WOULD HAVE EVER IMAGINED FOR US.

AND AS YOU ARE GETTING EMAILS I'M RECEIVING EMAILS AS WELL AS WE SEE SOME OF OUR SCHOOL DIVISIONS SHOWING OR IMPLEMENTING OR SHARING OUT THEIR PLANS FOR THE FALL.

AND OUR COMMUNITY IS ENCOURAGING US TO DO A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT THINGS.

AND I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT FOR OUR COMMUNITY TO CONTINUE TO HAVE A VOICE AND I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT WE AS A TEAM UNDERSTAND THE EXTREME IMPORTANCE OF US ANALYZING OUR SCHOOL DIVISION'S NEEDS AS WELL AS OUR SCHOOL DIVISION DATA AND FEEDBACK AND INSIGHT AND THE IMPLICATIONS FOR OUR DECISION.

WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE WHEN WE ARE PROPOSING TO THE BOARD ON AUGUST 7 THE RECOMMENDATION FOR OUR REOPENING PLAN THAT WE HAVE JUSTIFICATION IN SHARING WITH THE BOARD AS WELL AS OUR COMMUNITY WHY WE WANT TO DO THIS OPTION AND I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT FOR ALL OF US TO KNOW THAT KEEPING THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF OUR STUDENTS AND OUR STAFF WILL ALWAYS BE AT THE FOREFRONT OF OUR DECISION MAKING.

IN ADDITION TO THAT, WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE WE'RE PROVIDING GUIDANCE AND OPTIONS FOR OUR FAMILIES AND THEY MAY HAVE CHILD CARE NEEDS.

THEY MAY HAVE SPECIAL SERVICES NEEDS, EDUCATIONAL RESOURCE NEEDS.

OUR STAFF MAY HAVE SPECIAL LEARNING NEED, EXPECTATIONS THAT NEED TO BE KIND OF SET FOR THEM AND EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES AS WELL.

SO WHEN IT'S TIME FOR TO US RELEASE OUR PLAN, WE'RE ABLE TO EMPHASIZE THESE SPECIFIC AREAS AND TO INFORM OUR COMMUNITY AS WELL AS THE BOARD TO KNOW THAT THE 100 PLUS PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING THROUGH THIS PLANNING PROCESS THAT IT IS WELL THOUGHT THROUGH AND THAT WHEN WE PROPOSE OUR PLAN IT CAN BE IMPLEMENTED WITH FIDELITY.

STILL KNOWING THAT THERE ARE EVER CHANGING SITUATIONS THAT CAN OCCUR BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY UNCERTAINTIES WITH REGARD TO OUR FUTURE.

I WANTED TO START OFF WITH THAT BECAUSE I KNOW THERE IS A LOT OF QUESTIONS I.

CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT WEEK TO BE ABLE TO ENGAGE WITH OUR COMMUNITY W OUR COMMUNITY CHATS WE'LL BE TALKING A LITTLE BIT ABOUT TODAY.

I DO WANT TO THANK ALL OF OUR FAMILIES AND STAFF MEMBERS WHO COMPLETED THE SURVEY JUST LAST WEEK.

AND WE'RE GOING TO BE GOING OVER THAT DATA WITH YOU ALL TODAY AS WELL.

LET'S GET TO OUR ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS FOR TODAY.

AND SPECIFICALLY WE WANT TO JUST TALK ABOUT SOME OF THE WORK THAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING OVER THE PAST WEEK.

IT'S ONLY BEEN A WEEK BUT THERE IS A LOT THAT HAS HAPPENED BETWEEN LAST FRIDAY AND THIS FRIDAY.

WE WANT TO SPECIFICALLY TOUCH ON SOME OF THE MASTER SCHEDULING WORK THAT HAS OCCURRED.

WE WANT TO SHARE WITH THE BOARD SOME OF OUR CONTINUED CONVERSATIONS THAT ARE HAPPENING WITH OUR COMMUNITY AND ALL THE MULTIPLE CHANNELS OF COMMUNICATION FOR TO US GET FEEDBACK AND INSIGHT FROM OUR FAMILIES AS WELL AS OUR STAFF.

THEN WE WANT TO SHARE OUT OUR FUTURE MILESTONES.

BECAUSE THIS PROCESS IS GOING BY REALLY FAST.

BUT WE ARE STAYING TRUE TO THE ACTUAL SPRINTS THAT WE SHARE WITH THE BOARD INITIALLY ON JUNE 26 AND WE'RE RIGHT ON TARGET WITH ALL OF OUR MILESTONES THUS FAR AND OUR GOAL IS TO CONTINUE IN THAT POSITIVE TRAJECTORY.

THESE ARE GUIDED PRINCIPLES.

IT'S ALWAYS IMPORTANT TO REMIND THE BOARD AND OUR COMMUNITY THAT WE'RE NOT HAPHAZARDLY MAKING UP THIS PLAN.

THESE ARE SPECIFIC GUIDING PRINCIPLES THAT WE'RE LOOKING AT.

EQUITY BEING AT THE FOREFRONT.

AND THE VOICES OF ALL OF OUR COMMUNITY STAKEHOLDERS , LESS SONS THAT WE'VE LEARNED BETWEEN MARCH AND JUNE AND MAKING SURE WE ARE MAKING REVISIONS TO HOW WE DELIVER

[00:10:01]

OUR INSTRUCTION AND VALUING COMMUNITY COLLABORATION IS SO KEY.

THAT'S WHAT W THE CITY, WITH RPCA.

THAT IS INTERNALLY WITH OUR ACPS INTERNAL STAKEHOLDERS.

BUILDING THAT TRUST AND ALLOWING CREATIVE IDEAS FOR REOPENING.

I JUST GOT AN EMAIL RECENTLY FROM A PLANNING TEAM MEMBER.

I WAS LIKE I'M GOING THE SHARE THAT WITH THE TEAM.

WE HAVE TO GAIN TRUST OF ALL THESE EXPERTS.

REMEMBERING WE HAVE TO BE FLEXIBLE.

WE HAVE TO ALSO PROVIDE THAT GRACE AND WE HAVE TO BE PATIENT.

WE ARE IN A SITUATION WHERE EVERYBODY IS KIND OF EMOTIONAL LEVELS ARE HIGH AND BECAUSE IT'S SO UNCERTAIN, PEOPLE WANT ANSWERS TODAY.

IN ORDER FOR TO US GIVE CONCRETE ANSWERS AND FOR TO US PROVIDE THE APPROPRIATE GUIDANCE SO THAT WE'RE NOT PUSHING SOMETHING OUT THERE WITHOUT HAVING SOME ANSWERS TO VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS.

WE HAVE TO TAKE OUR TIME AND BE METHODICAL WITH THIS APPROACH.

IT'S GOING TO REQUIRE US TO BE A LITTLE MORE PATIENT TO MAKE SURE WE GET THIS RIGHT.

WE HAVE TO FREQUENTLY COMMUNICATE OUR COMMUNITY.

WE HAVE TO ASSURE EVERYBODY HAS THE ACCESS TO THE TECHNOLOGY BECAUSE THAT IS THE LIFELINE FOR ANY VIRTUAL LEARNING.

I'M GOING TO TURN THINGS OVER TO OUR CHIEF ACADEMIC OFFICE TORE TAKE US THROUGH OUR CROSS FUNCTIONAL PLANNING TEAMS AND WE'RE GOING TO GO INTO OUR PRESENTATION FOR TODAY.

>> GOOD AFTERNOON AND THANK YOU.

HAPPY FRIDAY.

I KNOW THAT WE CONTINUE TO SHARE AND MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT THE CROSS FUNCTIONAL PLANNING TEAMS. WE JUST WANTED TO BRIEFLY SHARE WITH THE SCHOOL BOARD AS WELL AS THE COMMUNITY JUST SOME THINKING AGAIN ABOUT WHY WE CHOSE CROSS FUNCTIONAL TEAMS AND ALSO TO SAY THAT WE STILL HAVE NEW MEMBERS JOINING THE CROSS FUNCTIONAL TEAMS. I THINK EARLY ON WE KNEW THAT THE DIVERSITY OF THESE TEAMS WOULD PROVIDE US VARIOUS EXPERIENCES, EXPERTISE AND THEY WOULD TRULY CRITIQUE THE IDEAS THAT ARE BEING PRESENTED IN THE VARIOUS MEETINGS.

AT THE SAME TIME WE ALSO KNEW THIS STRUCTURE WOULD PROVIDE FOR DEEPER THINKING PARTICULARLY WITH THE COMPLEXITY THAT IS ASSOCIATED WITH REOPENING.

ADDITIONALLY WE KNEW THAT WE WOULD HAVE LESS ISOLATION BY INCREASING AND STARTING WITH THESE TEAMS. ALSO AS HE AIDE EARLIER THIS CROSS FUNCTIONAL TEAM WOULD KEEP THIS PROCESS MOVING TOWARDS ENSURING SAFETY , THE WELLNESS OF STUDENTS AND STAFF AS WOMEN AS WHAT IS PARAMOUNT TO HIGH QUALITY INSTRUCTION TO STUDENTS REGARDLESS OF THE INSTRUCTIONAL MODEL OR MOD THAT IS MIGHT BE RECOMMENDED TO THE BOARD LATER IN AUGUST.

WE JUST WANT TO THANK THEM FOR THEIR CONTINUED DEDICATION.

LAST WEEK WE ALSO SHARED OUR OUT PUT.

WE WANT TO REMIND EVERYONE THESE ARE THE OUT PUTS.

THESE ARE IN PROCESS.

WE ARE USING THE GUIDANCE FROM THE VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF ED.

THE TEAMS WORK BOOKS HAVE BEEN CREATED AND THEY ARE GOING THROUGH AND ANSWERING LOTS OF QUESTIONS IN THESE WORK BOOKS WHERE THEY GAVE EXPLICIT GUIDANCE FOR DIFFERENT AREAS.

WE WILL COME BACK WITH MORE IDEAS AND EVENTUALLY MOVING TOWARDS AUGUST 14 WHICH IS THE ACTUAL REPORT SUBMITTED TO THE.

AT THIS TIME I'D LIKE TO TURN IT OVER.

>> THANK YOU TO THE BOARD AND TO THE ACPS FOR ALLOWING ME TO JOIN THIS MEETING.

I'M GOING TO WALK US THROUGH THE NEXT FEW SLIDES TO SHARE THE PROGRESS WE'VE MADE IN SPRINT TWO AND HIGHLIGHT SOME OF THE DELIVERABLES WE'RE GOING TO START NEXT WEEK.

THIS WEEK WE WORKED REALLY HARD ON DEVELOPING DECISION AND GUIDANCE AROUND OUR MASTER SCHEDULE AGO APPROACH.

WE'VE TALK AID LOT MORE ABOUT WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS OF VARIOUS SCHEDULE OPTIONS IN TERMS OF CAPACITY, IN TERMS OF TRANSPORTATION, STAFFING AND BUDGET.

MOVING INTO NEXT WEEK WE WILL DO A LOT MORE DISCUSSIONS AROUND ACTION

[00:15:06]

PLANNING AND BUILDING OUT WHAT WE ARE CALLING A PLAYBOOK.

I'LL DESCRIBE WHAT THAT IS IN A COUPLE OF SLIDE.

MOVING ON TO OUR NEXT SLIDE, WE HAVE MUCH TO CELEBRATE COMING OUT OF SPRINT TWO AND INTO SPRINT THREE.

FIRST WE WORKED HARD TO INITIATE CROSS FUNCTIONAL PLANNING TEAMS. WE WORKED HARD TO REVIEW SURVEY DATA AND THINK ABOUT WHAT ARE THESE DATA POINTS TELLING US AND HOW ARE THEY GOING TO INFORM OUR DECISIONS MOVING FORWARD.

MOVING INTO NEXT WEEK WE WILL START PREPARING SCHEDULE PROTO TYPES.

MOVING ON TO OUR NEXT SLIDE.

PLAYBOOKS, YOU REMEMBER LAST WEEK YOU HAD ANOTHER QUESTION ABOUT THAT AND WANTED TO TAKE TIME THE DIVE INTO THIS DEEPER.

IN OUR CROSS FUNCTIONAL PLANNING TEAMS WE'VE DONE A LOT OF HARD WORK TO REVIEW BEST PRACTICES.

WEAR WAITING TO HEAR ABOUT WHAT IS FEASIBLE FOR TRANSPORTATION, WHAT IS FEASIBLE FOR STAFFING.

THESE CONSTRAINTS WILL HELP US UNDERSTAND WHICH SCHEDULING GUIDANCE SHOULD BE MOVING FORWARD INTO THE FALL.

THAT IS THE WHAT.

PLAYBOOKS ARE RESOURCES AND GUIDANCE AND THEIR ADMIN TEAMS UNDERSTAND BASEND TO DECISION WE MAKE ON THE SCHEDULE.

HOW DO WE GO ABOUT ACTIVATING AROUND FOCUS AREAS THAT THE CROSS FUNCTIONAL TEAMS ARE WORKING IN.

THAT'S WHAT WE'RE MOVING INTO NEXT WEEK.

I'M GOING TO GO AHEAD AND PASS IT OVER TO TALK A LITTLE BIT ABOUT CROSS FUNCTIONAL PLANNING TEAMS. THANKS EVERYONE.

>> THANK YOU.

GOOD AFTERNOON EVERYONE.

I'M HAPPY TO BE ABLE TO INTRODUCE OUR SEAL TEAM WORK.

OUR WORK THIS WEEK CENTERED ON REVIEWING THE SURVEY RESULTS.

WE STARTED WITH EACH OF OUR GROUPS WITH A LARGER MEETING SO THAT WE ENSURED THAT CROSS COLLABORATION BETWEEN THE WORK TEAMS THAT WE'VE GOTTEN FEEDBACK.

WE WERE ABLE TO REVIEW MUCH OF THE OPERATIONS DATA AS WELL AS THE SURVEY DATA YOU'LL HEAR ABOUT.

AND THAT SUPPORTED OUR WORK IN LOOKING AT BUILDING THE SCHEDULES AND THE GUIDANCE AND PROPERTIED TOE TYPES.

VERY EXCITED TO INTRODUCE MR. PAGE IN A SECOND.

DR. MAN WILL WALK US THROUGH THE DIFFERENT SCHEDULES WE LOOKED AT AND GAIN INFORMATION FROM A SCHEDULING GROUP AS WELL AS OUR TWO CURRICULUM INSTRUCTIONS.

HAVE OUR PROFESSIONAL LEARNING GROUP, TECHNOLOGY THAT HAS CONTINUED THE CONVERSATION ANALYZING WHAT OUR STUDENT AND STAFF NEEDS ARE.

AND THEN LOOKING AT HYBRID VERSUS ALL VIRTUAL TO SEE WHAT IS THE DISTINCTION.

SOME OF THE SERVICES MAY BE THE SAME IN BOTH MODELS.

BUT HOW WILL WE PROVIDE THE REQUIRED SERVICES IN THOSE THREE AREAS.

THAT INFORMATION THAT HAS SUPPORTED THE WORK THAT CNI AND THE SCHEDULING GROUP IS DOING.

SO VERY ANOTHER PRODUCTIVE CHALLENGING AND HARD WEEK FOR US WITH CHALLENGING DISCUSSIONS WITH OUR WORK GROUPS, OUR PRINCIPLES AND THEN GATHERING COMMUNITY INFORMATION.

>> THESE ARE GOING TO BE JUST IN TIME DATA TO INFORM THE PLANNING PROCESS SO WANTING TO KNOW FROM A SNAPSHOT IN TIME WHERE OUR FAMILIES AND WHERE OUR STAFF ARE AND THEIR THINKING AS WE POINTED TOWARDS THE FALL SCHOOL REOPENING.

THAT SAID AND I COULD HAVE UNDER LINED AND PUT IN 62 FONT , THE HISTORIC PARTICIPATION RATE THIS WE SAW IN THE AND THIS TRULY WAS A TEAM EFFORT AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TO THINK THAT I CAN ALONE GARNER ALMOST 12,000 FAMILY RESPONSES AND OVER 2,000 STAFF RESPONSES I CANNOT.

[00:20:02]

SO AMAZING WORK FROM THE SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY RELATIONSHIPS DEPARTMENT AS WELL AS OUR PRINCIPLES DIVISION LEADERS AND OUR KEY COMMUNITY LEADERS IN GETTING THE WORD OUT AND REALLY PUSHING FOLKS TO RESPOND AND LEND THEIR VOICE TO HELP INFORM THE THINKING IN THE 4.0 PLANNING AS WE POINT FORWARD.

WITH THAT SAID WE SAW ALMOST 12,000 FAMILY SURVEY RESPONSES WHEN INCLUDE HISTORIC PARTICIPATION RATES ACROSS ALL GROUPS W.

THAT HISTORIC PARTICIPATION RATE ACROSS ALL GROUPS WE DID SEE A REDUCTION IN UNDER REPRESENTATION WITHIN GROUPS WHICH IS A GREAT THING.

STILL WORK TO BE DONE TO FULLY ELIMINATE UNDERREPRESENTATION WITHIN SOME SPECIFIC GROUPS.

FOR STAFF WE SAW OVER 2,000 STAFF RESPONSES WHICH WAS FANTASTIC.

AND THEN ALSO BEFORE GETTING IN THE RESULTS IT'S ALWAYS IMPORTANT TO TALK ABOUT LIMITATIONS.

ONE LIMITATION IN ALL SURVEY WORK IS THAT THERE CAN BE UNIQUE NEEDS AND ATTRIBUTES OF NONRESPONDENTS.

THAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS ALWAYS IMPORTANT THE KEEP IN OUR MIND AS WE GO THROUGH THESE RESULTS.

ANOTHER CRITICAL FACTOR PARTICULARLY IN REGARDS TO THE CURRENT CONTEXT OF THE GLOBAL PANDEMIC IS THAT THE ENVIRONMENT IN WHICH WE ALL OPERATE IS RAPIDLY CHANGING.

AND THAT MAY ALSO LIKELY INFLUENCE AND CHANGE OUR PERCEPTION VERY RAPIDLY.

THESE DATA REPRESENT A SNAPSHOTTED IN TIME.

MOST IMPORTANTLY THAT SURVEY DATA IS ONLY ONE DATA SOURCE AND TO TRULY INFORM OUR DECISIONS MOVING FORWARD IT IS THE MULTITUDE OF DATA SOURCES ACROSS QUANTITATIVE, QUALITATIVE BEST PRACTICES, PROFESSIONAL WISDOM ETC. THAT IS TRULY GOING TO LEND TO THE GREATEST DECISION MAKING IN TERMS OF WHAT IS GOING TO BE BEST FOR ALEXANDRIA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND OUR STUDENTS.

ONE FINAL POINT BEFORE WE PUSH INTO RESULTS IS DATA, PARTICULARLY QUANTITATIVE DATA ARE MOST POWERFUL WHEN WE ALLOW THEM TO CHALLENGE OUR PREEXISTING ASSUMPTIONS AND BELIEFS.

LOOKING AT THE DATA WITH OPEN EYES AND ARMS TO TRULY UNPACK AND UNDERSTAND WHAT WE'RE HEARING FROM THE ALMOST 12,000 FAMILY RESPONDENTS OVER 2,000 STAFF RESPONDENTS.

IN TERMS OF RESULTS THIS IS SPEAKING TO FAMILY PREFERENCE.

WE SAW 60% SAYING THEY CURRENTLY PREFERRED A HYBRID APPROACH WITH 40% SAYING THAT THEY CURRENTLY PREFERRED A FULLY VIRTUAL APPROACH IN TERMS OF THE REOPENING IN THE FALL.

WE DID SEE SOME DISPARITIES ACROSS RACE ETHNIC SUBGROUPS WHERE WE SAW ALMOST THREE QUARTERS OF OUR WHITE FAMILIES SAYING A PREFERENCE TOWARDS HYBRID APPROXIMATELY HALF OF OUR AFRICAN-AMERICAN FAMILIES AND HISPANIC LATINO FAMILIES SAYING THAT THEY PREFERRED A HYBRID.

SOME DIFFERENTIATION THERE.

WHEN LOOKING AT THESE RESULTS BY GRADE BANDS WE SAW SOME PREFERENCE TOWARD A HYBRID APPROACH AT THE PRIMARY YEARS SO PREK-2.

WE SAW 65% PREFERRING HYBRID AS WELL AS OUR HIGH SCHOOL GRADE LEVELS 9-12 AT 63% WITH SLIGHTLY LOWER RATED OF HYBRID PREFERENCE IN GRADES 3-8.

SHIFTING FROM FAMILIES TO STAFF.

IN ASKING STAFF LIKELIHOOD TO RETURN TO ON SITE WORK IN THE FALL, WE SAW 63% OF STAFF SAYING THAT THEY WERE EITHER SOMEWHAT LIKELY OR VERY LIKELY TO RETURN TO ON SITE WORK IN THE FALL.

WE SAW THE HIGHEST LIKELIHOOD OF RETURN TO ON SITE WORK COMING FROM OUR SUPPORT STAFF, ESSENTIAL BASED STAFF AND CENTRAL OFFICE STAFF COMING IN AROUND THAT MEANS OF 63%.

WHEN WE WORK IT OUT ACROSS GRADE LEVEL BANDS TO SEE IF THERE ARE DIFFERENCES.

WE DID NOT SEE ANY LARGE DIFFERENCES ACROSS THE GRADE LEVEL BAND AND STAFF OF THEIR LIKELIHOOD TO RETURN IN THE FALL.

UNDERSTANDING BOTH THE CURRENT THINKING AND PREFERENCES OF FAMILIES AS WELL AS THE LIKELIHOOD OF STAFF TO RETURN IN THE FALL.

WE WANTED TO GAIN AN UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT WERE THE KEY DRIVERS IN THAT DECISION MAKING FOR FAMILIES AND STAFF.

AND WHAT REALLY CAME OUT HERE AND WAS CRYSTAL CLEAR IS BOTH OUR FAMILIES AND STAFF ARE LACER FOCUSED ON HEALTH AND SAFETY.

BOTH HEALTH AND SAFETY FOR STUDENTS, HEALTH AND SAFETY FOR THEMSELVES AND HEALTH AND SAFETY FOR THEIR IMMEDIATE FAMILY.

GIVEN THE NATURE OF THE GLOBAL PANDEMIC.

WE ALSO SAW A HIGH FOCUS BOTH FROM FAMILIES AND STAFF ON THE LEARNING AND NEEDS OF STUDENTS.

WHEN WE BEGAN TO BREAK THESE RESULTS OUT, WE DID SEE SOME DIFFERENTIATION IN THE

[00:25:06]

PREFERENCES IN TERMS OF DRIVING THE DECISION MAKING WHERE WE SAW HYBRID APPROACH FAMILIES PRIORITIZING LEARNING AND SOCIAL NEEDS.

WHERE AS THOSE WHO WERE SELECTING THE FULLY VIRTUAL APPROACH OVERWHELMINGLY CITED THEIR STUDENT'S HEALTH AND SAFETY AS BEING A CRITICAL DRIVER IN THEIR DECISION MAKING.

SO THEN WE ALSO WANTED TO GAIN A SENSE OF WHERE STAKEHOLDERS FELL IN RELATION TO SAFETY METERS RELATED TO IN PERSON RETURN.

SO WE SAW A VAST MAJORITY OF FAMILIES AND STAFF STRONGLY SUPPORTING THE VARIOUS SAFETY MEASURES THAT WE QUERIED WITHIN THE SURVEY.

THE ONE THAT DID POP OUT IN TERMS OF HAVING A LOWER LEVEL OF AGREEMENT WAS IN PARTICULAR THE STUDENTS HAVING MEALS IN THE CLASSROOMS AND STAFF IN TERMS OF WHAT THAT MEANS AND WHAT THAT WOULD LOOK LIKE.

64% OF STAFF THERE.

WE ALSO DID DO WE CUT THESE A LOT OF DIFFERENT WAYS AND SPECIFICALLY WHEN LOOKING AT MASK WEARING, WE SAW EQUIVALENCE SUPPORT RAISE ADD CROSS GRADE LEVEL BANDS FOR FAMILY AND STAFF RANGING FROM 88-95% IN SUPPORT OF STUDENTS AND STAFF WEARING MASKS.

THEN LAST BUT NOT LEAST I KNOW THE BOARD RECEIVED INFORMATION IN TERMS OF PLANNING FACTORS AS RELATES TO TRANSPORTATION.

SOCIAL DISTANCING MEASURES AND WHAT THAT MEANS IN TERMS OF CAPACITY.

WE WANTED TO TAKE A SNAPSHOT OR GET A SENSE OF WHERE FAMILIES WERE IN TERMS OF THEIR POTENTIAL UTILIZATION OF TRANSPORTATION SHOULD WE RETURN TO THE FORM OF IN PERSON INSTRUCTION AND WE SAW 37% OF FAMILY RESPONSES CITING THEY WOULD LOOK TO UTILIZE ACPS TRANSPORTATION SHOULD WE COME BACK TO IN PERSON INSTRUCTION FOR THAT AND BE USED AS A PLANNING FACTOR MOVING FORWARD OUR TRANSPORTATION FOLKS AS WE BUILD OUT WHAT THAT MEANS AND WHAT IS POSSIBLE THERE.

AND WITH THAT I'M GOING TO TURN IT OVER TO CHRISTINA.

>> I WANT TO START OFF BY SAYING THANK YOU TO THE BOARD AND ACPS COMMUNITY FOR INVITING US TO THIS PROCESS AND CONVERSATION.

I'M GOING TO TALK FIRST BROADLY ABOUT THE WAY THIS WE'RE APPROACHING SCHEDULING.

THEN GOING TO SOME MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE CONSIDERATIONS WE'RE BRINGING FORWARD AS WE'RE TESTING OUT SCHEDULES.

THEN I'LL TOSS IT OVER THE DR. MAN TO TALK THROUGH THE MODELS WE'RE BASING OUR TESTS ON.

LIKE MRS. HALL SAID AT THE BEGINNING, WE WANT TO MAKE SURE WE'RE BASING OUR DECISIONS ANTED FRAMES ON GUIDING RESOURCES FROM THE NATIONAL STATE AND DIVISION LEVEL.

LOOKING ACROSS OUR COMMUNITY AND UNITED STATES TO BUILD IDEAS ON BEST PRACTICES.

THIS WEEK WE FOCUSED ON TWO MODELS, OUR HYBRID MODEL.

ON THE NEXT SLIDE YOU'LL SEE MORE DETAILS ABOUT WHERE WE MIGHT SCHEDULE.

WE LOOK ADD CROSS SCHEDULES AND PLANS FROM NORTHERN VIRGINIA AND ACROSS THE UNITED STATES TO REALLY SEE WHAT TREND WERE EMERGING.

SO THAT WE COULD REALLY BE INFORMED BY THOSE PRACTICES AS WE'RE BUILDING FRAMES FOR OUR MASTER SCHEDULES.

WE HAD A SERIES OF PLANNING SESSIONS AND WHAT YOU'LL SEE HERE IS THAT WE'RE REALLY GUIDED BY THOSE GUIDING PRINCIPLES THAT WERE PRESENTED AT THE BEGINNING THAT WE WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT WE'RE BRINGING IN A VARIETY OF VOICES FROM ACROSS THE COMMUNITY.

SO WE BROUGHT THESE PLANNING SESSIONS TO OUR OVERALL CROSS FUNCTIONAL PLANNING TEAMS SO WE COULD GET ALIGNED ON COMMON LANGUAGE, ON THE CONSIDERATION BUILDING FOR OUR SCHEDULES.

WE INCLUDED VOICES FROM DIVISION LEADERS WHICH INCLUDED PRINCIPLES, TEACHERS AND WE'RE GOING TO BE INCLUDING THOSE COMMUNITY CONVERSATIONS MOVING FORWARD.

WE ALSO REALLY WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT WE WERE INFORMED BY THE SURVEY DATA SO THAT WE WERE REALLY BUILDING BASED ON WHAT IT WERE DRIVERS FOR FAMILIES AND STAFF.

OUR GOAL IS TO CREATE GO TO THREE SCHEDULES SO WE COULD GO BACK TO THE GUIDING PRINCIPLES.

WHILE HAVING CLEAR DIVISION GUIDANCE.

ON THE NEXT SLIDE WHAT YOU'LL SEE ARE THE CONSIDERATIONS THAT WE PULLED AFTER WE LOOKED AT THE PLANS THAT ARE EMERGING FROM NEIGHBORING PLANS AS WELL AS WHAT WE KNOW IS BEST PRACTICE FOR STUDENTS AND STAFF.

[00:30:02]

WHAT WE WERE CONSIDERING AS WE WERE BUILDING OUT THOSE MODEL SCHEDULES ARE WHAT ARE THE DAYS THAT STUDENTS ARE GOING TO BE ATTENDING.

WAS IT BEST PRACTICE FOR CONSECUTIVE DAYS VERSUS ALTERNATING DAYS, WHAT WOULD BE THE BENEFITS AND CONSIDERATIONS FOR EACH.

WE ALSO REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT WHO WAS ATTENDING, WHAT ARE THE WAYS WE'RE GROUPING STUDENTS TO HAVE MORE OR LESS TIME IN PERSON AND HOW WE CAN REALLY TAYLOR THOSE TO THE NEEDS OF EACH SCHOOL.

WE ALSO ARE BEGINNING TO THINK ABOUT THE SING RO NOWS AND ASINK NOWS GUIDANCE.

WHAT DO WE WANT TO MIKE MAKE SURE IS TRUE FOR ALL STUDENTS REGARDLESS OF WHICH SCHOOL THEY ARE AT.

WE WANT TO MAKE SURE WE ARE LAYERING IN TEACHER CONSIDERATIONS.

WHAT ARE THE WAYS NO MATTER WHAT THE CONTEXT IS WE'RE BUILDING OPPORTUNITIES FOR STRONG RELATIONSHIPS WHILE PRIORITIZING SAFETY AND GIVING TEACHERS TIME FOR PLANNING REGARDLESS OF THE SCENARIO.

SO WHEN WE PULL TOGETHER OUR PRINCIPLE GROUPS, WE PULL TOGETHER ALL PRINCIPLES TO TALK ABOUT THESE DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS AND WE ALSO PULLED TOGETHER CROSS FUNCTIONAL PLANNING TEAMS. THESE ARE SOME OF THE TREND THAT WE HEARD FROM THOSE GROUPS.

SO IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT TO US THAT THESE GROUPS FEEL THAT THEY ARE LISTENED TO.

THAT WE'RE REALLY INFORMED FOR EACH STAKE HOLDER GROUP.

YOU'LL SEE THAT IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT THAT EQUITY STAYS AT THE FOREFRONT AND WE'RE REALLY CLEAR ABOUT HOW WE ARE DECIDE BY THE WORK THAT IS HAPPENING AROUND US.

SO AS WE MOVE FORWARD INTO TESTING AND PULLING OUT FRIENDS FROM THE SCHOOL LEADERS, WE WANT TO MAKE SURE WE'RE CONTINUING TO BUILD IN OPPORTUNITIES FOR A VARIETY OF VOICES AND BEING REALLY CLEAR ABOUT OUR EXPECTATIONS FOR THE ENTIRE ACPS COMMUNITY.

I'M GOING TO TOSS IT OVER TO DR. MAN TO TALK THROUGH THE TWO SCHEDULE FRAMES THAT WE PULLED FOR SCHOOL LEADERS TO TEST OUT OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

>> IS THERE I PLANNING DAY FOR STAFF AND FOR THE TEST WE'VE GONE AA SO THE STUDENTS WOULD HAVE TWO CONSECUTIVE DAYS IN THE BUILDING AND THEN TWO CONSECUTIVE DAYS AT HOME FLIP FLOPPING GROUP A OR B.

WE HEARD LOUD AND CLEAR FROM OUR PRINCIPALS AND I DON'T SAY FUNCTIONAL PLANNING TEAMS WE WANT TO SEE IF WE CAN PRIORITIZE IN PERSON LEARNING FOR THE SPECIAL POPULATION.

RIGHT NOW OUR PRINCIPALS ARE WORKING WITH EDUCATION KNOLL ELEMENTS AND OTHERS TO TEST IF THIS IS ACTUALLY POSSIBLE.

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS NOT A DAILY SCHEDULE.

WE DON'T HAVE A PERIOD OF TIME FOR CLASSES.

CAN WE ACTUALLY MAKE IT WORK FROM TRANSPORTATION CAPACITY IN THE BUILDING AND WHAT WILL THE SCHEDULE AS THEY START TO TEST AND USE INFORMATION FROM OUR TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT TO SEE IF THIS IS REASONABLE.

>> FOR A VIRTUAL MODEL, PLANNING DAY.

AND THIS WOULD BE FOR ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY SCHEDULES.

AS WE MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS ON WHAT IT IS TO BE CLEAR, THOSE WOULD BE LAYERED IN THERE.

AND ALSO CONSIDERATIONS FOR WHAT DOES THE PLAN DAY LOOK LIKE.

[00:35:04]

IS THIS VIRTUAL.

ALSO ONE OF THE CONSIDERATIONS IS WHAT DO WE DO FOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR STAFF.

AS WE KNOW LESSONS LEARNED AND THIS SUMMER WHAT DO WE NEED TO ENHANCE AND PREPARE THEM FOR.

LASTLY JUST MAKING SURE WE HAVE SCREEN TIME AND MAKING SURE EVERYONE HAS ACCESS TO TECHNOLOGY.

AT THIS TIME I'LL TURN IT OVER.

>> THANK YOU.

I WANT TO JUST GIVE A SNAPSHOT OF SOME OF THE THINGS WE'RE WORKING ON PARTICULARLY AROUND THE COMMUNITY.

WE'VE BEEN FOCUSED ON GETTING THOSE SET UP.

I WANT TO THANK OUR COMMUNITY PARTNERS WHO AGREED TO WORK WITH US AND MODERATE THOSE SESSION AS WELL AS OUR STAFF PARTICIPANTS AND FAMILY GROUPS.

WE'VE BEEN FORTUNATE TO HAVE THEM WORKING WITH US HAND IN HAND TO SET UP THOSE SESSIONS AND WE'VE BEEN GETTING A NUMBER OF QUESTIONS THROUGHOUT THIS WEEK THAT WE'VE BEEN PREPARING FOR.

I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THAT.

I WANTED TO TALK ABOUT SOME OF THE WORK THAT THE TEAM IS DOING THAT WE'VE BEEN WORKING ON THIS WEEK.

WE'VE BEEN LOOKING AT THINGS IN THREE BUCKETS.

SOMEONE WHAT DO WE NEED TO LET FAMILIES KNOW PRIOR TO AUGUST 7.

WHAT DOES AUGUST 7-SEPTEMBER 8 LOOK LIKE.

WHAT ARE THE PIECES WE NEED TO PRODUCE IN TERMS OF MATERIALS, COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND ENGAGEMENT.

AND WHAT DO WE NEED TO HAVE PREPARED AFTER SCHOOL STARTS.

WE HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO LISTEN THIS WEEK AND LEARN ABOUT WHAT THOSE GROUPS ARE DOING AS WELL SO WE CAN PREPARE.

WE ARE THANKFUL FOR THAT.

I THINK WE HAVE A GREAT PROCESS MOVING FORWARD.

WITH THAT I WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE REOPENING OF SCHOOL COMMUNITY CHATS.

WE HAVE 7 AS I MENTIONED.

LAST WEEK AND FOR MANY OF THEM WE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO INCLUDE MANY OF OUR SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS AS WELL AROUND THE SCHOOL DIVISION WHO WILL BE HELPING TO US ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS.

ONE OF THE PATTERNS WE'RE SEEING IS WE'RE PREPARED IN OUR FAQS WHICH ARE POSTED ONLINE.

WE HAD ACCESS TO THE QUESTIONS ASKED BUT WE'RE LOOKING FOR THE NUANCE QUESTIONS THAT SOME OF THE GROUPS WILL HAVE AND WE'LL BE WORKING ON THOSE AND WE'LL HAVE LIVE QUESTIONS THROUGHOUT THE CHAT.

THIS IS THE SCHEDULE.

I HOPE THAT MANY OF YOU ARE ABLE TO JOIN US.

WE'RE ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO JOIN US FOR SEVERAL OF THE CHATS.

THE ONE THING I WANT TO POINT OUT IS ON TUESDAY OUR CHAT STARTS AT 12:30 UNTIL 2:00 FOR THE STAFF SESSION SINCE WE HAVE LOTS OF STAFF THAT WILL BE PARTICIPATING AND WE HAVE STAFF REPRESENTATIVES FOR THAT CHAT THAT WILL BE JOINING TO US LEND THEIR SUPPORT AND REPRESENT THIS.

AS WELL AS SESSION ON THURSDAY WE DO HAVE PARENTED REPRESENTATIVES THAT WILL BE PARTICIPATING AS WELL.

THOSE ARE DESIGNED A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY.

THAT ONE WILL BE FOR AN HOUR.

I ENCOURAGE YOU.

I HAVE THE LINK TO THE ACTUAL CHAT PAGE ON THIS SLIDE IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE WE HAVE ALREADY COLLECTED ALL THE QUESTIONS IN ADVANCE.

AND THEN WE'LL BE FOCUSED ON THE LIVE QUESTIONS DURING THE SESSION FOR THE SECOND HALF OF THE CHAT.

WE HAVE ALSO BEEN VERY FORTUNATE TO ENLIST THE HELP OF OUR SCHOOL BOARD REPRESENTATIVES.

JOHNSON AND ASHLEY.

THEY HAVE WORKED WITH US THIS WEEK TO PUT THE STUDENT CHATS TOGETHER.

ONE WILL BE AT 9:00 ON JULY 28 FOR THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL STUDENTS.

9:30 FOR THE MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS AND 4:00 P.M.

FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS.

MORE INFORMATION WILL BE POSTED TODAY ABOUT THE CHATS IN TERMS OF THE QUESTION THAT WE WILL BE RECEIVING IN ADVANCE.

AND LO RATIO ANN AND ASHLEY HAVE FIGURED OUT WAYS TO REACH THE STUDENTS IN THE SUMMER.

THESE CHATS WILL BE MODERATED.

WE ALL MET THIS WEEK TO PREPARE FOR THE CHATS.

SHE WILL ALSO BE WORKING WITH THE TEAM TO GET THAT INFORMATION OUT TO STUDENTS IN AVERTED OF WAYS.

WE HOPE TO HAVE MANY STUDENTS WORKING WITH US PARTICULARLY WITH LORAN AND ASHLEY.

WE'RE EXCITED ABOUT.

THAT THEY WERE VERY EXCITED ABOUT PARTICIPATING WITH US FOR THE CHATS.

AND THOUGHTED IT WAS A GREAT IDEA TO HEAR FROM THEM.

WE'RE FORTUNATE TO HAVE THEIR HELP WITH THAT.

NEXT I WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE OUTREACH WE'VE BEEN DOING TO FAMILIES.

[00:40:01]

I WANT TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE TEAM THAT HAS BEEN WORKING DILIGENTLY TO REACH FAMILIES WITH PHONE CALLS AND TEXT AND HOT LINE MESSAGES AND EMAILS.

THEY'VE BEEN REALLY WORKING VERY HARD TO REACH FAMILIES AND MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THE INFORMATION THAT THEY NEED, PARTICULARLY AROUND THE SURVEY.

WE HAD SOME DATA THAT I WANT TO SHARE WITH YOU AS A RESULT OF THAT THOSE OUTREACH EFFORTS.

THE PARENT LEASE SON PLACED MORE THAN 300 CALLS TO PARENTS.

WE SAW THE RESPONSE RATE FOR LATINO FAMILIES INCREASE FROM 13 FORCE 21% AND AFRICAN-AMERICAN FAMILIES INCREASE FROM 15% TO 1%.

WHILE WE STILL HAVE MUCH WORK TO DO IN THESE AREAS, IT WAS ENCOURAGING TO SEE WITH MORE EFFORTS AND OUR TEAM WORKING HARD WE CAN REACH MORE OF THOSE FAMILIES.

WE'LL BE TALKING MORE ABOUT HOW TO INCREASE THOSE RESPONSE RATES AS WE MOVE OVER TIME.

AND THEN AS I MENTIONED EARLIER OUR TEAM , THE WORK OF CREATING COMMUNITY PARTNERS TO WORK WAS AND THEY ARE EXCITED ABOUT PARTICIPATING WITH US.

THAT WILL BE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE A TRUSTED VOICE DURING THE CHATS TO ENSURE THAT PEOPLE FEEL COMFORTABLE ABOUT ASKING QUESTIONS AND BEING INFORMED.

I ALSO WANTED TO JUST TOUCH ON A COUPLE OF OTHER THINGS THAT OUR TEAM HAS BEEN DOING.

WE'VE BEEN SUPPORTING FAMILIES FROM PREK AND K-12 TO REGISTER.

WE'VE BEEN CONTINUING TO MANAGE AND IMPLEMENT OUR PARENT INFORMATION HOT LINES AND INFORMATION LINES AS I MENTIONED EARLIER.

COLLABORATING THE LINK PROGRAM TO ENSURE FAMILY ENGAGEMENT.

AND PARTICIPATING IN COMMUNITY MEETINGS IS CONTINUOUS TO EDUCATE PARENTS ABOUT RESOURCES AND SUMMER LEARNING.

THEN OF COURSE WE HAVE BEEN VERY FOCUSED ON RELATIONSHIP BUILDING WITH OUR CURRENT PARTNER DURING THIS TIME.

JUST AWE SNAPSHOT OF THE WORK THAT THE TEAM HAS BEEN DOING REALLY PROUD OF ALL OF THEM.

COMING IN HERE AND BEING HERE FOR TWO WEEKS I'VE LEARNED HOW MUCH THEY DO IN A SHORT TIME AND HOW MUCH THEY ARE DEDICATED TO REACHING OUR FAMILIES.

I LOOK FORWARD TO CONTINUING TO WORK WITH THEM TO INCREASE THOSE EFFORTS.

THANK YOU.

AND I'LL PASS IT OVER TO.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I HOPE THE BOARD AND THE COMMUNITY CAN REALLY SEE JUNE HAS BEEN A VERY BUSY MONTH.

WITH THE TEAMS W THE COMMUNITY OUTREACH.

BUT WHEN YOU LOOK AT THIS LITTLE DIAGRAM HERE, WHAT WE WANT TO SHOW AND SAY IS THAT SPRINT ONE WE MADE IT THROUGH SPRINT ONE.

WE STILL HAVE SOME OTHER WORK AND DECISIONS BUT JUST A COLLABORATION AND COHERENCE HAS BEEN TREMENDOUS FOR SPRINT ONE.

NOW YOU CAN SEE THAT WE ARE MOVING INTO SPRINT TWO.

NEXT WEEK WILL BE A VERY BUSY MEETING WEEK FOR THE TEAMS. THERE IS A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF WORK THAT WILL HAVE TO OCCUR NEXT WEEK AND THE FOLLOWING WEEK.

YOU CAN SEE WE'RE ON TARGET AND WE ARE AS A TEAM AND A LOT OF THE COMMUNITY SUPPORT MEETING MANY OF THE MILESTONES.

WE WANT TO SHARE WITH YOU BRIEFLY SOME ITEMS THAT WILL BE PRESENTED ON AUGUST 7.

THESE ARE UP COMING DELIVER RABBLES.

I KNOW DR. ROUGHENS STARTED OFF MENTIONING THESE.

NUMBER SOMEONE THE SCHEDULING PATRIOT TOE TYPES.

AFTER THE SCHEDULES HAVE BEEN DEVELOPED THERE WILL BE A FEASIBILITY ASSESSMENT.

AND THE TEAMS WILL BE LOOKING AT TO WHAT EXTENT THIS TRANSPORTATION EFFECT THE PARTICULAR SCHEDULE.

HOW WILL FACILITIES IMPACT THE FEASIBILITY AND IMPACT THAT PARTICULAR SCHEDULE.

MEAL SERVICE EVEN DURING THE SCHOOL DAY, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN AND HOW WILL THE SCHEDULE FACILITATE OR NOT FACILITATE AND THEN THE STAFF SURVEY THE RESULTS THAT MR. PAGE PRESENTED, WHAT IS THE IMPACT OF IF YOU HAVE STAFF MEMBERS THAT MAY OR MAY NOT RETURN, HOW DO WE MANAGE THAT? WHAT WILL BE THE IMPACT ON THAT IN TERMS OF SCHEDULES AND REGISTERING STUDENTS.

THAT'S NEXT STEP OF THE WORK FOR THE TEAM WORKING WITH EDUCATION ELEMENTS IS TO LOOK AT THE FEASIBILITY OF THESE SCHEDULES AND THE IMPACTED AND THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THESE DIFFERENT AREAS.

AND THERE IS ALSO A SERIES AGAIN OF GUIDING QUESTIONS FOR EACH OF THESE TEAMS TO ADDRESS AS IT RELATES TO THE SCHEDULES.

I THINK MRS. HALL MENTIONED EARLIER PLAYBOOKS.

[00:45:02]

YOU WILL SEE ON THE PREVIOUS TIME LINE THAT WE INDICATED THAT TEAMS WOULD BEGIN TO PREPARE REPORTS.

THE PLAYBOOKS EVERYBODY IS AS THE BEGINNING OF SOME OF THE REPORTS THAT WILL BE PREPARED.

YOU WILL ALSO REMEMBER THAT IN 1 POINT 10: AND 2.0 WE DID PROVIDE EXPLICIT GUIDANCE FOR CERTAIN ROLES.

WE WILL ALSO MAKE SURE THAT EXPLICIT GUIDANCE WILL BE INCLUDED IN THOSE PLAYBOOKS.

SHE SAID EARLIER THERE WILL BE DIVISION GUIDANCE AS WELL AS ACTIONS ON BEHALF OF THE SCHOOLS.

LASTLY WE WILL HAVE A REPORT FROM EACH OF THE CHAIRS AND THE TEAMS IN THE FIVE AREAS THAT IS LISTED.

WE HAVE A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT TO ACCOMPLISH BETWEEN NOW AND AUGUST 7.

WE DO WANT TO ASSURE THE BOARD AND THE COMMUNITY THAT THE SYSTEM AND WE ARE ON TRACK TO MEET THE VARIOUS PRIORITIES AND MILESTONES.

SO NOW THIS TIME I'D LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR PRESENTATIONS AND I'LL TURN IT BACK OVER TO DR. HITCHENS.

>> I HAVE TO GIVE A SHOUTOUT TO OUR CONSULTING GROUP.

THEY'VE DONE A TREMENDOUS JOB WITH GUIDING FACILITATING, PUSHING OUR THINKING THROUGHOUT THIS PROCESS.

>> THANK YOU FOR THE PRESENTATION.

I APPRECIATE THE THOUGHTFULNESS GOING INTO MAKING THESE DECISIONS.

THREE QUESTIONS CAME UP FOR ME.

SO I APOLOGIZE I HAVE THREE QUESTIONS THAT I WANT TO JUST THROW OUT.

AND IF YOU NEED KNOW REPEAT ANY, PLEASE TELL ME.

MY FIRST QUESTION WAS WILL THERE BE A FOCUS ON LIMITING I'M CALLING IT CROSS CONTAMINATION BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S THE APPROPRIATE WORD.

BUT LIMITING THAT BETWEEN STAFF AND STUDENTS? BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE ONE TEACHER WHO IS SEEING MULTIPLE GROUPS, SHOULD AN INFECTION OCCUR, IT WILL BE LIKE THROW AFFECT MULTIPLE COHORTS.

HAVE WE THOUGHT OF THAT? ARE WE THINKING OF THAT AS WE DESIGN THE SCHEDULE? IF THAT MAKES SENSE.

DO YOU WANT KNOW END THERE AND GET HA ANSWERED AND GO TO THE NEXT OR ASK THEM ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

>> ASK THEM ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

>> MY SECOND ONE IS HOW ARE WE THINKING ABOUT MINIMIZING DOUBLE PLANNING FOR TEACHERS? AND THIS MIGHT BE A QUESTION FOR MR. MAN BECAUSE HE'S WORKING ON SCHEDULE.

WHEN I THINK OF THE HYBRID SCHEDULE, IN MY MIND AND I COULD BE WRONG, THERE MAY BE DIFFERENT WAYS TO FLESH THIS OUT.

WE HAVE ONLINE COURSES OR VIRTUAL LEARNING , SO THERE IS PLANNING FOR HA AND THEN THERE IS PLANNING FOR IN PERSON.

WONDERING HOW WE'RE THINKING ABOUT MINIMIZING DOUBLE PLANNING FOR TEACHERS? AND THEN THE THIRD QUESTION IS ABOUT THE SOCIAL DISTANCING GUIDELINES HAVE A STRONG POTENTIAL TO LIMIT THE SPECIAL EDUCATION SETTINGS GIVEN THE LIMITATIONS OF WHAT WE MAY WANT TO HAVE IN PLACE IN TERMS OF KIDS NOT GOING ACROSS MULTIPLE GROUPS.

SO LIKE I'M I'M HAVING A DIFFICULTY WRAPPING MY HEAD AROUND ARE WE PLANNING ON HAVING THESE DISCUSSIONS WITH PARENTS? ARE WE PLANNING ON SORT OF MAYBE HAVING TO THINK ABOUT REDEFINING FATE FOR THESE CIRCUMSTANCES.

IF WE HAVE STUDENTS WHO SAID THEY NEED X SUPPORT IN A SETTING BUT THEY MIGHT NEED

[00:50:08]

TO BE CONTAINED IN A SELF-CONTAINED SETTING FAIR DIFFERENT CONTENT, HOW DO WE MAKE THAT WORK AND IF WE CAN'T MAKE IT WORK, WHAT IS THE DISCUSSION THAT IS GOING TO BE HAD WITH PARENTS IF THAT MAKES SENSE?

>> IT MAKES A LOT OF SENSE.

THANK YOU FOR THOSE QUESTIONS.

WE'RE GOING TO HAVE DR. CRAWFORD START OFF WITH RESPONDING TO THE QUESTION REGARDING ANY SPREAD WITHIN THE CLASSROOM FROM TEACH TORE STUDENT OR STUDENT TO TEACHER OR STAFF MEMBER.

THAT IS A DISCUSSION THAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE NURSING GROUP.

THEN WE'RE GOING TO HAVE DR. MAN SPEAK TO YOUR QUESTION IN REGARD TO DOUBLE PLANNING FOR OUR TEACHERS.

AND THEN MRS. WARNER WILL BE ABLE TO ANSWER THE QUESTION.

>> THANK YOU.

WILL THERE BE A FOCUS ON LIMITING THE CROSS CONTAMINATION.

ABSOLUTELY.

THAT'S A CRITICAL FEES WHAT WE'RE DOING IN TALKING ABOUT SCHEDULING.

WE DO HAVE THE HEALTH AND SAFETY WORK GROUP WHO IS WORKING WITH THAT LENS INCLUDING SOME EVER OUR SCHOOL NURSES.

WE'RE CONTINUING TO RECEIVE FEEDBACK FROM THE STATE WITHIN OUR HEALTH SERVICES.

THERE WAS JUST A CALL YESTERDAY WITH THE STATED TO MAKE SURE WE'RE STAYING UP TO DATE.

DR. LANE PARTICIPATED IN THAT.

SOME OF THE IDEAS WHEN WAY WWE TALK ABOUT IN PERSON INSTRUCTION, WE'VE DISCUSSED LOOPING WHICH IS A RECOMMENDATION THAT HAS COME FROM MANY OF THE REOPENING RESOURCES THAT WE'RE LOOKING AT.

THE SMALL GROUP SOLVE CRITICAL AND MAINTAINING THE MITIGATING MEASURES SUCH AS THE SIX FEET , THE MASKS, THINGS ALONG THOSE LINES.

IN THE CASE THERE WAS A POSITIVE CASE, DO YOU HAVE A SMALLER GROUP THAT YOU NEED DO CONTACT TRACING WITH.

WE'RE LOOKING AT LOOPING.

THERE ARE RECOMMENDATIONS WHERE WE CAN OF HAVING THE CLASSES STAY TOGETHER IN ONE LOCATION AND THEN THE TEACHERS MOVING SO THAT THERE AREN'T AS MANY EXPOSURES TO OTHER STUDENTS AND STAFF MEMBERS.

AND GOING BACK TO THE SURVEY, THAT IS ONE OF THE CONCEPTS OF HAVING THE STUDENTS EAT LUNCH IN THEIR CLASSROOM TO LIMIT EXPOSURE.

NOT DOING CAFETERIA BUT HAVE THE KIDS EAT LUNCH IN THEIR CLASSROOM.

THAT WOULD ALSO LIMIT ANY CROSS CONTAMINATION.

WE'RE LOOKING AUTEURISM TIME WHO RECOLLECTS IS IN THE HALLWAY AT THE SAME TIME.

THAT IS AT THE FOREFRONT OF OUR MINDS WHEN WE ARE DOING THE PLANNING.

THAT IS ALSO WHERE THE COLLABORATION COMES IN.

WE HAVE OUR INSTRUCTIONAL EXPERTS BUT WE KNOW WE HAVE OUR HEALTH EXERS WHO ARE THE OTHER WORK GROUP.

TAKING THEIR RECOMMENDATIONS WITH THE STATE, CDC, HEALTH DEPARTMENT ANTED PUTTING THEM ALL TOGETHER.

WE'VE MAINTAINED GREAT COMMUNICATION WITH THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT.

THEY ARE PREPARING A RESOURCE GUIDE FOR US AS WE LOOK AT REOPENING THAT THEY ARE GOING TO SHARE AND HOPEFULLY COME IN AND DO TRAINING WAS TO MAKE SURE WE HAVE EVERYTHING MEASURED.

AND PUT OUT.

YES ABSOLUTELY THAT IS THE EXPLICIT LENS OF THE HEALTHS DEPARTMENT.

THEY'VE ALREADY GIVEN US GUIDANCE AND IT'S AT THE FOREFRONT OF EVERYBODY'S MIND.

THAT WAS A REALLY LONG ANSWER BUT I APOLOGIZE.

COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT THAT DISCUSSION.

>> YOUR QUESTION CAME UP IN THE SECONDARY BREAK OUT SESSION ABOUT SCHEDULING.

WHAT WE COMMITTED TO THE GWYNETH PALTROWS AND WE WILL BRING THIS UP WITH OUR CROSS FUNCTIONAL PLANNING TEAM IS HOW DO WE STRUCTURE THE PLANNING DAY.

THAT WAS THE QUESTION, HOW DO WE MAKE THIS PLANNING DAY WORK FOR TEACHERS SO IT'S NOT DOUBLE PLANNING.

WE STILL ARE WORKING ON HOW THAT STRUCTURE WILL BE.

WE DON'T HAVE THE ANSWER YET.

BUT THAT IS ONE THING WE KNOW THAT WAS PARAMOUNT PLANNING DAYS FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK S IT FOR MONDAY, THAT'S ALL OF THOSE QUESTIONS BRANCH OFF OF YOUR MAIN QUESTION.

WE WANT TO FIGURE OUT THE BEST FOR TEACHERS AND THAT WILL BE PART OF OUR DISCUSSION THE ONE AND TWO GROUPS BECAUSE WE HAVE TEACHERS THERE AND GET THEIR PERSPECTIVE ON HOW WE SHOULD STRUCTURE THE PLANNING DAY.

>> I'M GOING TO RESPOND TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS.

THAT WAS A MULTILAYERED AND MULTILEVEL QUESTION SO I'M GOING TO TRY AND BREAK IT INTO PARTS.

IF I MISS SOMETHING, PLEASE COME BACK AND REMIND ME.

SO LET ME START WITH THE OVERARCHING ISSUE THAT THE DEFINITION OF TAPE HAS EXPANDED DURING THE PERIOD OF COVID-19.

WE HAVE PROVIDED LOTS OF INFORMATION TO PARENTS ABOUT FAPE AND HOW WE'RE APPROACHING IT THROUGHOUT THIS PROCESS.

[00:55:02]

WE WILL CONTINUE TO DO.

SO FAP I IS IN THE FOREFRONT OF THE DECISIONS WE'RE MAKING.

IN TERMS OF HOW WE ARE LOOKING TO APPROACH SERVICES, THERE REALLY IS A TWO PRONG APPROACH.

STUDENTS WHO ACCESS CITY WIDE PROGRAMMING AS OPPOSED TO STUDENTS WHO ACCESS THEIR SPECIAL EDUCATION SERVICES THROUGH GENERAL ED SETTING.

THOSE DECISIONS HAVE TO BE MADE DIFFERENTLY BECAUSE THEY BRING DIFFERENT NEEDS TO THE TABLE AND HAVE DIFFERENT INSTRUCTIONAL NEEDS.

WE ARE EXPLORING DIFFERENT OPTIONS AS TO HOW WE MEMORIALIZE WHAT WE'RE GOING TO BE DOING AND AREAER OFFERING.

BUT KNOW THAT WE ARE PLANNING.

ONE OF THE THINGS WE'RE CONSIDERING IS THE OPTION OF DEVELOPING DISTANT LEARNING PLANS FOR INDIVIDUAL STUDENTS THAT DOCUMENT WHAT THOSE SERVICES ARE GOING TO LOOK LIKE AND HOW THEY WILL BEB PROVIDED BUT OTHER DECISIONS HA V TO BE MADE FIRST BEFORE WE CAN DO THAT.

THE OTHER THING WE'RE WORKING CLOSELY WITH THAT WILL IMPACTED WHAT DECISIONS WE CAN MAKE AND SERVICES WE CAN DELIVER ARE ALSO GOING TO BE PREDICATED UPON TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS AND THE OPERATIONS IN TERMS OF HOW WE CAN GET ROOMS CLEANED AND HOW WE CAN ADDRESS THOSE NEEDS AS WELL.

AND WE'VE DONE A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF VERGE AND WORK AROUND THE PPE'S THAT ARE GOING TO BE NEEDED FOR STAFF AND STUDENTS BECAUSE WE ARE GOING TO HAVE SPECIFIC NEEDS AROUND THIS AS WELL.

WE ARE WORKING TO CREATE COHORT BUBBLES SO WE KEEP STUDENTS, ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH MORE SIGNIFICANT NEEDS AND THAT ARE MORE MEDICALLY FRAGILE, THAT WE KEEP THOSE COHORTS TOGETHER.

DOES HA ANSWER EVERYTHING?

>> IT DOES.

ARE WE -- AGAIN, IT'S SO COMPLEX GIVEN THE SET THAT IS WE NORMALLY OFFER VERSUS EVEN WITH IN PERSON WE'RE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO THINGS AS USUAL.

>> WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REPLICATE EVERYTHING.

YOU MENTIONED STUDENTS WITH PULLOUT SERVICES.

WE DEFINITELY HAVE MECHANISMS TO DO BOTH OK.

HOW WE CARRY THIS OUT AND MAKE BOTH OF THOSE HAPPEN EVERY DAY AND EACH TIME, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT QUESTION.

BUT WE HAVE DONE A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF WORK.

WE HAVE A SENIOR INSTRUCTIONAL SPECIALIST TEAM WHO HAS WORKED VERY CLOSELY WITH TEACHERS AND PROVIDED ALL KINDS OF RESOURCES AND STRATEGIES AND COACHING AS TO HOW WE CAN DO SELF-CONTAINED CLASS WORK, PULL OUT AND DO SELF-CONTAINED WORK AND COACHING.

YOU CAN DO BREAKOUT ROOMS WITH A ZOOM.

THEY CAN BE TOGETHER AND BREAKOUT ROOM AND DO TARGETED DIRECTION INSTRUCTION AND COME BACK.

WE CAN DO STATIONS.

HAVE A VERSION OF STATIONS THAT ONE OF OUR BIG CO-TEACHING COMPONENTS.

THERE ARE WAYS TO DO THAT.

WHAT I WILL TELL YOU IS OUR NUMBER ONE FOCUS IS ON RECOVERY.

HOW DO WE ASSIST THE STUDENT TO RECOVER.

WE'RE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO MAKE UP.

WE'RE NOT IN MAKEUP MODE.

WE'RE IN RECOVERY MODE.

>> I APOLOGIZE.

ONE LAST QUESTION.

ARE YOU EXPECTING TO HAVE TO MAKE IEP AMENDMENTS AT ALL?

>> THAT'S WHY WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE DISTANCE LEARNING PLANS.

I'M HOPEFUL THAT OTHER JURISDICTIONS ARE USING THIS.

THAT IS ONE THING WE'VE TALKED ABOUT AS AN OPTION BECAUSE WE HAD THE ANTICIPATION WE WERE GOING TO BE BACK.

FOR TO US HAVE TO GO BACK AND REWRITE 1800IEP'S IS NOT FEASIBLE.

THAT IS WHY WE ARE LOOKING AT DISTANCE LEARNING PLAN OPTION.

MANY OF OTHER JURISDICTIONS ARE AS WELL.

>> >> THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE PRESENTATION AND FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK ON DEVELOPING THIS PLAN FOR REOPENING.

I HAD A COUPLE OF COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SURVEYS.

SO MAYBE HEARING MORE FROM MR. PAGE.

I WANTED TO SAY KUDOS TO THE PEOPLE FOR THE GREAT RESULTS AND ALSO TO THE TEAM FOR THE OUTREACH PUSH.

IT'S GREAT WE'VE REACHED UNDERREPRESENTATION AND EXCITED ABOUT THE COMMUNITY CHATS COMING ON AND HOW THEY ARE TAYLORED TO DIFFERENT STAKEHOLDERS.

[01:00:02]

I JUST WANTED TO MAKE A COMMENT ABOUT THE PARENTED SURVEY.

I'M GLAD YOU EMPHASIZED IT WAS A SNAPSHOT IN TIME.

BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN HEARING SOME FEEDBACK FROM PARENTS WHO HAD BEEN SUPPORTING THE HYBRID MODEL AND NOW THEY ARE FEELING MORE LIKE LEANING TOWARD THE VIRTUAL MOD BILLION THE INCREASE IN NUMBER OF CASES WE'RE SEEING.

I ALSO WANTED TO MENTION THAT I HEARD FEEDBACK FROM A NUMBER OF PARENTS WHO SAID THAT THEY WISH ONE OF THE THINGS THEY COULD SAY WAS THEY ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF STAFF MEMBERS.

BECAUSE THEY ALSO HAVE R VERY CONCERNED ABOUT HOW GOING BACK WILL INFLUENCE THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF OUR STAFF AS WELL AS THEIR CHILDREN.

AND I WANT -- ONE OF MY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PARENT SURVEY WAS ON THERE IT SAID THAT PARENTS WOULD BE ASKED TO MAKE A DECISION ABOUT THEIR COMMITMENT TO RETURN TO SCHOOL IN LATE JULY.

I WAS WONDERING WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH THAT.

IF THAT WAS STILL BEING ESTIMATED.

IF YOU COULD TALK ABOUT THAT.

AND MY OTHER QUESTION WAS ABOUT THE STAFF SURVEY.

WE HEARD SOME FEEDBACK FROM SOME TEACHERS THAT THEY WERE NOT AS WHICH MODEL THEY PREFERRED THE WAY PARENTS HAD BEEN ASKED THAT QUESTION.

INSTEAD THEY WERE ASKED HOW LIKELY THEY WERE TO RETURN IN THE HYBRID MOLD.

AND I JUST WANTED TO SAY ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I NOTICED THE RESULTS OF THE STAFF SURVEY ALMOST 40% OF OUR STAFF SAID THAT THEY WERE UNLIKELY TO RETURN IF THERE WAS A HYBRID MODEL.

THIS IS VERY CONCERNING TO ME.

I'D LIKE TO UNDERSTAND HOW THIS IS IMPACTING YOUR DECISION MAKING.

IF YOU COULD JUST TALK ABOUT THOSE TWO THINGS.

>> I'LL START OFF AND THEN MR. PAGE I'LL TURN THINGS OVER TO YOU TO FINALIZE EVERYTHING.

FIRST AND FOREMOST I THINK THAT THE KEY POINT THAT MR. PAGE MADE EARLIER IS THIS SI S A SNAPSHOT FOR A PERIOD OF TIME.

WE HAVE TO UTILIZE MULTIPLE DATA POINTS.

YOU CAN'T GET EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN ONE SURVEY.

IF WE TRY TO ASK EVERY QUESTION POSSIBLE AND GET EVERYTHING FROM THE SURVEY, THAT WOULD NOT BE A GOOD SOURCE OF DATA.

ESPECIALLY WITH HOW THINGS CHANGE SO FREQUENTLY.

LOOK AT WHERE WE WERE LAST WEEK AND LOOK WHERE WE ARE THIS WEEK IN JUST A WEEK IN THIS AREA AND LOOK AT ALL THE CHANGES THAT HAVE OCCURRED.

NEXT WEEK WE'LL HAVE ACTUAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR THE COMMUNITY TO ENGAGE IN DISCUSSIONS AND FOR TO US ANSWER THAT WE'RE HAVING.

WE'RE ALSO CONTINUOUSLY RECEIVING EMAILS AND WE READ ALL OF OUR EMAILS AND THEY ARE GIVEN TO THE APPROPRIATE PLANNING GROUPS.

SO THEY CAN PUT ALL OF THOSE FACTORS GOO INTO CONSIDERATION WHEN WE BEGIN TO FINALIZE OUR PLANNING AND TALK ABOUT THE FEASIBILITY OF OUR PLANNING.

I'M GOING TO TURN THINGS OVER THE MR. PAGE TO FINISH OFF THE TOP TWO QUESTIONS.

>> I THINK THE ONE QUESTION IN TERMS OF THE QUESTION TYPE BETWEEN THE STAFF SURVEY AND FAMILY SURVEY IS REALLY IN TERMS OF WHAT WE WERE TRYING TO GAUGE IN TERMS OF A PLANNING FACTOR OR HOW MANY FAMILIES IN TERMS OF THEIR CURRENT PERCEPTION WERE PLANNING FOR IN PERSON WHATEVER THAT MAY LOOK LIKE IN A HYBRID MODEL VERSUS A FULLY VIRTUAL.

THAT FACTOR INFLUENCES POTENTIALLES AND WHAT CAN BE OFFERED OR COULD NOT BE OFFERED ON CURRENT RATES OF INTEREST.

LIKE WISE STAFF THE WILLING TONS RETURN OR NOT RETURN TO WORK INFLUENCES WHAT WE CAN OR CAN'T OFFER IN PERSON.

JUST TRYING TO GET THE BEST PLANNING FACTORS WE CAN IN TERMS OF WHERE WE ARE BOTH FROM A STAFFING PERSPECTIVE IN TERMS OF HOW MANY STAFF DO WE SAY ARE FEELING LIKELY OR VERY LIKELY TO RETURN TO WORK.

AND THEN FROM A FAMILY PERSPECTIVE HOW MANY FAMILIES ARE FEELING LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO BE INTERESTED IN RETURNING TO SOME FORM OF IN PERSON SCHOOLING.

SO THAT IS WHY THESE QUESTIONS WERE WORDED THAT WAY.

AS IT RELATES TO THE TIMING OF THE NEXT MAJOR DATA GATHERING, THAT IS GOING TO LOOK A LITTLE DIFFERENT IN TERMS OF THIS LAST EFFORT.

[01:05:38]

>> ARE YOU GOING THE DO THE HYBRID OR VIRTUAL MODEL IF THERE IS TWO CHOICES?

>> IT'S WOULD YOU SEND YOUR CHILD BACK IF WEARABLE TO MEET THE CDC REQUIREMENTS OR NOT.

THAT'S WHAT THE KEY DRIVER IS FOR ALL OF THE PLANS WHETHER IT'S A HIGH BRAID APPROACH OR NOT WE'RE LOOKING AT ARE WE ABLE TO MEET THE CDC REQUIREMENTS TO KEEP OUR STAFF AND STUDENTS SAFE.

IF THAT IS NOT FEASIBLE FOR US THEN A RECOMMENDATION IS NOT GOING TO BE TO OPEN OUR SCHOOLS ANYWAY.

THAT'S WHY IT'S GOING THE TAKE US THE TIME THAT OUR PLANNING TEAMS ARE DOING RIGHT NOW DETERMINE THE FEASIBILITY SO WHEN WE ARE STATING WHICHEVER PLAN WE CHOOSE OR RECOMMEND TO THE BOARD, WE'RE ABLE TO ARTICULATE WHY THIS IS THE OPTION THAT WE'RE PROPOSING AND WHY WE COULDN'T DO SOME OF THE OTHER THINGS THAT WE HAVE BEEN WORKING ON OR SOME OTHER THINGS PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DISCUSSING OR SHARING WITH TO US CONSIDER.

WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO BE CLEAR ABOUT THAT WITH THE BOARD AS WELL AS THE COMMUNITY.

>> NEXT UP.

>> I HAVE A COUPLE OF BUCKETS AS I TEND TO.

SO ONE AREA I WANT TO TALK ABOUT IS AND THIS IS FROM THE PREMISE I THINK THERE IS ONLY ONE CERTAINTY IN THIS VERY UNCERTAIN TIME AND THAT IS THERE IS GOING TO BE AT LEAST SOME VIRTUAL LEARNING.

AND I SAY THAT FOR TWO REASONS.

ONE SOME TEACHERS HAVE CLEARLY INDICATED THEY DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK.

SECOND, FAMILIES HAVE INDICATED THEY DON'T WANT TO GO BACK.

I THINK THAT IS GOING TO BE CONSISTENT AND EVEN MORE FAMILIES MAY SAY THAT AS TIME PROGRESSES.

OPERATING UNDER THAT PREMISE, I'M WONDERING WHAT WE'RE DOING TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX IN TERMS OF INNOVATION AROUND AASYNCHRONOUS LEARNING.

WHETHER WE'RE IN PERSON OR ASING RO NOWS.

LEARNING IS GOING TO BE FUNDAMENTAL.

I'M JUST WONDERING WHAT WE'RE DOING THE SET THAT UP FOR THAT PREMISE THAT IS GOING TO BE REMOTE EDUCATION.

WHAT ARE WE DOING TO THINK ABOUT ASYNCHRONOUS LEARNING OPTIONS THAT MAY BE ACCESS TO BELIEVE ALL KIDS WHETHER THEY ARE GIFTED OR SPECIAL ED IDENTIFIED, EVERYWHERE ON THE SPECTRUM.

I WANT TO PUSH US TO BE THINKING THAT WAY.

BECAUSE NOMAD WHAT WE'RE GOING TO HAVE SOME SORT OF REMOTE SITUATION.

THAT IS MY FIRST QUESTION.

I'M CURIOUS WHAT WE'RE DOING TO SET THAT UP.

WE'VE GOTTEN A LOT OF COMMENTS FROM TEACHERS THEY WANT PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AROUND THOSE ISSUES AND GET AGO WAY FROM LEARNING PACKETS AND THOSE TYPE OF THINGS.

I WANT TO HEAR WHAT WE HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS.

THE SECOND AND MAYBE IF WE CAN GO TO SLIDE 20 OF THE PRESENTATION, THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL.

THE SECOND THING IS I APPRECIATED WHEN DR. MAN IN TALKING ABOUT THIS SLIDE HE MENTIONED SOME OF THE TESTING THAT WE'RE DOING AROUND THE HYBRID MODELS AND HE NOTED WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO BE DIFFERENT FOR DIFFERENT POPULATIONS IN WHATEVER WE PROPOSE.

HE HAS IN PERSON FOR SPECIAL POPULATIONS.

I KNOW THAT SOME DISTRICTS HAVE SAID AND WE'VE TALKED ABOUT SPECIAL EDUCATION A LITTLE BIT.

YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE CERTAIN POPULATIONS WHERE MAYBE BECAUSE OF THE

[01:10:07]

LEARNING LOSS OR THE NEEDS FOR IN PERSON EDUCATION MAYBE PARENTS ARE MORING THERE TRADE THAT OFF FOR THE HEALTH.

FOR ALL OF THIS IT'S ABOUT RISK PREFERENCE.

IT'S ABOUT BALANCING THE HEALTH CONSIDERATION WHICH IS ARE FIRST AND FOREMOST WITH THE EDUCATIONAL CONSIDERATIONS.

AND SO WHAT I'VE BEEN HEARING A LOT IN THE PRESENTATIONS ARE KIND OF ABOUT THE LOGISTICS AND HOW WE'RE GOING TO FIT PIECES OF THE PUZZLE TOGETHER.

HOW THE SCHEDULE MIGHT BE COMPARABLE AND THINGS LIKE THAT.

AS WE GET INTO THIS THIRD SPRINT, I'D LIKE THE UNDERSTAND MORE AND MAYBE THIS IS JUST MORE OF A COMMENT THAN WHAT I'M HOPING THE FINAL PRODUCT LOOKS LIKE.

WHAT IS THE EDUCATIONAL VISION THAT IS DRIVING THE DIFFERENT ASPECTS OF THE DECISION FOR DIFFERENT POPULATIONS.

AND SO ONE EXAMPLE ON SLIDE 20 IS FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION.

OTHER THINGS WE'RE SEEING FROM OTHER SCHOOL DIVISIONS ARE K-5 MIGHT LOOK DIFFERENT FROM 6-12 AND THINGS LIKE THAT.

SO I JUST KIND OF WANT TO PUSH A LITTLE BIT AND SORT OF UNDERSTAND HOW WE'RE GOING TO BE THINKING AS WE KIND OF TAKE THE PUZZLE PIECES WE'RE ASEMIBLING AND PUT THEM TOGETHER AND CONSTRUCT THAT PUZZLE BASED ON EDUCATIONAL VISION THAT IS ALIGNED WITH THE STRATEGY PLAN AND ALSO CONSIDERING SOME OF THESE HEALTH TRADEOFFS.

I KNOW THERE IS A LOT IN THERE BUT I'D LOVE TO HEAR FIRST MY FIRST QUESTION ABOUT WHAT WE'RE GOING TO DO GLOBALLY ABOUT VIRTUAL BECAUSE INEVITABLY THERE IS GOING TO BE VIRTUAL NO MATTER WHAT.

AND SECOND HOW WE'RE GOING TO CREATE CONSTRUCT THIS PLAN IN A WAY THAT IS FAITHFUL TO OUR EDUCATIONAL VISION AROUND THE VARIOUS POPULATIONS THAT WE'RE SERVING ALL OF WHICH HAVE VERY DIFFERENT NEEDS ACROSS THE DIVISION.

>> FROM MARCH TO JUNE THERE WERE SEVERAL LESSONS LEARNED.

FROM MARCH TO JUNE THE GOAL WAS TO ENSURE THAT STUDENTS HAD ACCESS TO TECHNOLOGY, HAD ACCESS, HAD LEARNING PACKETS.

WHETHER IT'S VIRTUAL OR A HIGH BRAID APPROACH THERE IS STILL A FORM OF VIRTUAL LEARNING THAT IS GOING TO OCCUR.

AND WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE IN WHICH WE'RE DOING NOW IS TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION ALL OF THE LESSONS LEARNED.

SOME STUDENTS HAVE ONE EXPERIENCE AND OTHERS HAVE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE.

WHAT ARE THE EXPECTATIONS AND WHAT TYPES OF PROFESSIONAL LEARNING ARE WE GOING TO NEED TO PROVIDE OUR STAFF MOVING FORWARD.

NO ONE WENT TO SCHOOL TO LEARN HOW TO TEACH KIDS ONLINE.

NONE OF US DID THAT.

WE MIGHT HAVE HAD SOME EXPERIENCE WITH IT.

I THINK THAT THE BOARD AS WELL AS OUR COMMUNITY WILL GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT THE LEARNING IS GOING TO LOOK LIKE AS WE GET FURTHER INTO THIS PLANNING

[01:15:34]

PROCESS.

WE'RE STILL REALLY IN THE DEVELOPMENTAL PHASES OF IT.

WE HAD TO THINK THROUGH WE'RE GOING TO DO A HYBRID APPROACH AND HAVE IN PERSON INSTRUCTION HAPPENING, HOW MANY KIDS CAN BE IN A SCHOOL, HOW OFTEN THEY WILL BE IN A SCHOOL.

THAT DETERMINES THE TYPE OF LEARNING AND HOW WE'RE GOING TO DELIVER INSTRUCTION.

WE HAD TO GET THROUGH SOME OF THAT TO EVEN START THINKING ABOUT WHAT THE LEARNING DELIVERY PIECE WILL LOOK LIKE.

I WANT TO TURN THINGS OVER TO DR. MAN IF THERE IS ANYTHING THAT YOU WANT TO ELABORATE ON OR PROVIDE.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I THINK YOU CAPTURED A LOT OF WHAT I WANTED TO SHARE.

I DO WANT TO ADD TWO POINTS.

ONE IS WE ACTUALLY STARTED WORKING WITH SOME OF THE INSTRUCTIONAL TEAMS , THE COORDINATORS PROBABLY FOUR TO FIVE WEEKS AGO.

ONE OF THE AREAS OF FOCUS WAS AS YOU BEGIN TO IDENTIFY STRATEGIES, BEST PRACTICES, WHAT WOULD INSTRUCTION LOOK LIKE IN A VIRTUAL SETTING.

AND SO THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON.

THAT WAS ONE OF THE REASONS WHETHER IT WAS LITERACY, SCIENCE, MATH, SOCIAL STUDIES, WE HAVE TEAMS OF TEACHERS THAT HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED TO WORK ON DEVELOPING THE INSTRUCTIONAL BEST PRACTICES IN A VIRTUAL MODEL.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN AND IT'S HIGH LEVEL.

ONCE THE DECISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE AROUND THE ACTUAL SCHEDULES, THEN THE INSTRUCTIONAL COMPONENTS WILL FIT THOSE IN.

THE GOAL IS TO BE ABLE TO SHARE THAT INFORMATION ON AUGUST 7.

THERE WILL BE WE HAVE TALKED ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT THAT WE'LL NEED TO PROVIDE.

THERE WILL BE A PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN PARTICULARLY FOR MANY OF OUR TEACHERS, BUT I WANT TO SAY WE HAVE SOME INSTANCE OF THIS ALREADY OCCURRING IN TERMS OF OUR SUMMER LEARNING.

SO THERE ARE SOME LESSONS THAT WE CAN LEARN.

I THINK THE BIGGEST CHANGE FOR US WOULD BE AT THE ELEMENTARY LEVEL.

BECAUSE AT THE ELEMENTARY LEVEL WHEN YOU THINK OF THE LITERACY BLOCK, LITERATURE CIRCLINGS, KIDS WORKING IN SMALL GROUPS , WHAT DOES HA LOOK LIKE AS MR. WARNER SAID EARLIER USING BREAKOUTS.

THERE ARE SOME BEST EDUCATIONAL PRACTICES FOR A VIRTUAL SETTING.

AND FINALLY AT THE CORE OF THIS WE WERE TALKING ABOUT WORKING WITH US IN TERMS OF TECHNOLOGY.

WE SEE THIS AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO CHANGE THE INSTRUCTIONAL SETTING.

WE SEE IT AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO ENGAGE STUDENTS.

I LOOK FORWARD TO OUR BRINGING THAT BACK LATER.

WE'VE ALSO SENT STAFF BEST PRACTICES AROUND EVEN OUTDOOR EDUCATION.

WHAT WOULD OUTDOOR EDUCATION LOOK LIKE EVEN IF YOU ARE THERE TWO DAYS A WEEK.

WE GOT IDEAS FROM WHAT IS OCCURRING IN FINLAND.

THEY HAVE A FABULOUS OUTDOOR EDUCATION PROGRAM.

WE ARE LOOKING AT INTEGRATING THOSE BEST PRACTICES.

THE GOAL IS TO BRING THAT INFORMATION TO THE BOARD AND OTHERS ON AUGUST 7.

I KNOW IT SEEMS LIKE A PROCESS.

BUT YOU HAVE TO WORK OUT YOUR LOGISTICS AND THE SCHEDULE AT THE SAME TIME PLEASE BE REST ASSURED THAT WE HAVE INSTRUCTIONAL STAFF AND TEAMS THAT ARE WORKING ON THIS VIRTUAL FRAMEWORK AND WHAT IT WOULD LOOK LIKE.

>> THAT WAS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY IT WAS SO IMPORTANT TO HAVE OUR TEACHERS AND PRINCIPALS AS PART OF THESE PLANNING TEAMS. BECAUSE THEY ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO PUSH OUR THINKING AND TO BE ABLE TO SAY WHAT ABOUT X OR Y OR Z.

AND IF IT'S FEASIBLE.

IT'S IMPORTANT FOR TO US MAKE SURE WHATEVER MODEL WE CHOOSE THAT WE ALSO, WE PROVIDE CHILD CARE SERVICES.

IF WE WERE TO DO 100% VIRTUAL.

WE CAN'T SAY 100 VIRTUAL AND EVERYBODY YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

WE NEED TO WORK FINDING SOME WAYS FOR FAMILIES WHO ARE REQUIRED TO GO TO WORK AND THEIR KIDS CAN'T BE AT HOME ALL DAY EVERY SINGLE DAY.

WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE THIS TIME TO BE INVESTING IN THAT AS WELL.

[01:20:04]

THAT IS SOMETHING I THINK IS GOING TO BE KEY FOR US TO MAKE SURE.

THAT'S WHY WE NEED THAT ADDITIONAL TIME.

SO WHEN WE ARE SHARING OUT OUR PLAN AND OUR RECOMMENDATION ON AUGUST 7.

WE'RE ALSO SHARING THE IMPLICATIONS AND LETTING FAMILIES KNOW THIS IS WHAT WE KNOW THIS HAS AN IMPACT ON YOUR FAMILY.

THESE ARE OTHER THINGS WE HAVE TO OFFER TO ASSIST YOU THROUGHOUT THIS PERIOD OF TIME.

I THINK THAT IS GOING TO BE SO KEY AND WELL WORTH THE WAIT WHEN EVERYBODY SEES AUGUST, THEY ARE GOING TO SAY THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME.

BECAUSE IF WE RELEASE THINGS NOW AND MAKE DECISIONS IMPULSIVELY, WE'RE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS PEOPLE HAVE.

WE MAY NOT KNOW HOW THE LOGISTICS ARE GOING TO WORK.

AND LOGISTICS ARE SO IMPORTANT WITH THESE PLANS.

THAT'S ISSUE WITH MANY SCHOOL DIVISION AS CROSS THE COUNTRY IS THEY ARE RELEASING PLANS WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE LOGISTICS TO SEE IF THEY ARE FEASIBLE OR KNOW WHAT THE IMPLICATIONS ARE.

WE'RE TRYING TO AVOID THAT.

>> THANK YOU BOTH FOR THAT.

THAT WAS HELPFUL.

TO YOUR LAST POINT THAT IS WHY Y I SAID I UNDERSTAND WE NEED TO LAY THE PUZZLE PIECES ON THE TABLE AND UNDERSTAND THEM.

BUT I'M NOW THINKING ABOUT WE'RE IN IN THIS NEXT PHASE, HOW ARE WE JUSTIFYING HOW WE'RE GOING TO FIT THOSE PIECES TOGETHER.

TWO COMMENTS.

ONE WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU COULD SHOW YOUR WORK A BIT THIS TERMS OF OUTDOOR EDUCATION.

THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF TALKS ABOUT OUTSIDE THE BOX IDEAS IN THE COMMUNITY.

OUTDOOR EDUCATION, USING FACILITIES FROM THE CITY.

ALL KINDS OF OPTIONS WE'VE HEARD.

IT WOULD BE GREAT IF WE COULD SEE IN THAT FINAL PRODUCT, HERE ARE THE REALLY INTERESTING IDEAS THAT WE CONSIDERED AND EITHER ADOPT THEM AS PART OF THE PLAN OR PERHAPS SAY MAYBE THAT'S NOT GOING TO WORK AS PART OF THE PLAN.

THAT WOULD SHOW THE COMMUNITY HOW CREATIVE WE'RE BEING WITH THESE TEAMS AND THE WORK WE'RE DOING IN THIS.

AND THEN SECOND THING IS GOING BACK TO MY ORIGINAL COMMENT.

I THINK IN SO FAR AS THERE ARE DIFFERENT PROPOSALS FOR DIFFERENT SUBGROUPS IN TERMS OF SPECIAL EDUCATION STUDENTS, THERE IS MORE IN PERSON INSTRUCTION OR ANYTHING OF THAT NATURE, I THINK IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IN THAT FINAL PROPOSE TOLL EXPLAIN THIS WAS OUR EDUCATIONAL VISION AND THIS IS WHY WE'RE MAKING SOME OF THESE PROPOSE THAT IS ARE DIFFERENT FOR DIFFERENT SUBGROUPS.

I THINK THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL AND HELP ME AS A BOARD MEMBER TO EVALUATE THE PLAN AND MOVE FORWARD WITH THAT.

>> THANK YOU.

EVERYBODY IS WORKING TOWARDS THAT.

WE DO HAVE SPECIFIC PLANNING TEAMS THAT ARE LOOKING AT STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS, STUDENTS WHO ARE EL, STUDENTS WHO MIGHT JUST NEED ADDITIONAL RESOURCES.

THAT IS WHY WE'RE SHIFTING FROM THAT EQUAL ACCESS TO EQUITABLE ACCESS WHICH MEANS WE NEED TO HAVE DIFFERENT TIERS OF HOW WE'RE DELIVERING INSTRUCTION AS WELL AS HOW WE'RE ENGAGING CERTAIN STUDENTS AND THEIR FAMILIES BASED ON THEIR NEED.

THAT REQUIRES A LOT MORE TIME.

IT'S EASY TO SAY EVERYBODY GETS THE SAME.

WHEN EVERYBODY GETS THE SAME, WHEN WE HAVE THAT PERSPECTIVE OF EVERYBODY GETS THE SAME, WE'RE LEAVING A LOT OF PEOPLE BEHIND.

BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO WILL BE ABLE TO RECEIVE OR ENGAGE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO THAT WE'RE TRYING TO CUSTOMIZE WHATEVER THE DELIVERY IS FOR.

WE HAVE TO HAVE DIVERSITY IN REGARDS TO HOW WE'RE GOING TO DELIVER, HOW WE'RE GOING TO PROVIDE RESOURCES AND HOW WE'RE GOING TO ENGAGE.

IT'S GOING TO BE A LITTLE COMPLICATED.

THIS IS WHAT WE DO AS EDUCATORS.

I KEEP TELLING OUR TEAM, YES WE'RE GOING INTO A SPACE THAT WE'VE NEVER BEEN.

HOWEVER, BECAUSE WE'RE EDUCATORS WE DO HAVE CREATIVITY.

WE HAVE THE INNOVATION VAGUES AND PASSION FOR YOUNG PEOPLE.

USING THOSE QUALITIES I THINK ARE GOING TO HELP US CREATE THE BEST POSSIBLE PLAN FOR OUR POPULATION.

>> THANKS.

I TOLD MRS. GENERALRY I WOULD ASK HER QUESTION BUT I THINK IT WAS ANSWERED.

HERS WAS ABOUT WILL THE AFTER CARE AND OTHER THINGS COORDINATE IT IS ON THE SAME TIME LINE AS EVERYTHING ELSE.

SO WE EXPECT THAT INFORMATION TO BE WITH THE AUGUST 7 REPORT OUT CORRECT.

>> THAT IS CORRECT.

>> >> I TOLD PEOPLE THAT SHE HAD A QUESTION AND I DIDN'T WANT PEOPLE TO THINK I HAD

[01:25:01]

FORGOTTEN AND I WANTED TO MAKE SURE IT WAS CLEAR.

NEXT UP I HAVE MRS. GREEN.

>> >> MY QUESTION IS MINE MIGHT BE EARLY TOO.

BUT I WAS WONDERING AS MORE AND MORE SCHOOL DISTRICTS ROLL OUT THEIR PLANS FOR REOPENING, HOW DOES THAT AFFECT US IN OUR PLANNING PROCESS PARTICULARLY AROUND STAFF, TEACHERS AND STAFF THAT LIVE IN OTHER AREAS THAT HAVE SCHOOL AGED CHILDREN THAT WILL HAVE TO BE AT HOME FOR VIRTUAL LEARNING.

I KNOW YOU MENTIONED CHILD CARE BUT I DON'T KNOW HOWTA WORKS FROM A STANDPOINT OF OLDER KIDS.

BUT COULD YOU TALK A LITTLE BIT TO THAT AND ALSO HOW HAS COMMUNICATION AND COLLABORATION BEEN BETWEEN THE SCHOOL DISTRICTS IN THE AREA?

>> SO GREAT QUESTIONS.

I THINK MOST IMPORTANTLY ABSOLUTELY THE DECISIONS OF OTHER SCHOOL DIVISIONS WHO NEIGHBOR US OR IN THIS REGION HAVE AN IMPACTED ON US, THEY WILL.

AND LAST WEEK WHEN WE SHARED KIND OF LIKE WHERE OUR STAFF LIVE, MEANING THE AREAS, WE HAD ARLINGTON AND FAIRFAX AND MARYLAND AND THAT TYPE OF THING, THAT WAS INTENTIONAL TO START SHARING THAT INFORMATION OUT AND FOR US TO STARTED SEEING WHERE OUR STAFF LIVED SO AS DIFFERENT SCHOOL DIVISIONS ARE SHARING PLANS WE CAN SEE THE IMPACT IT'S GOING TO HAVE ON US.

ONE THING TEAMS ARE DOING IS LOOKING AT BASED ON OUR NEIGHBORING SCHOOL DIVISIONS AND THE IMPLICATIONS FOR THEIR DECISIONS, DOES IT ALLOW US AS A SCHOOL DIVISION FOR WHATEVER CHOICE WE'RE LOOKING AT WHETHER IT'S HYBRID OR VIRTUAL, IS IT NOW FEASIBLE BASED ON THE EXTERNAL FACTORS.

WE HAVE TO PUT ALL OF THAT INTO CONSIDERATION WHICH IT IS VERY HELPFUL WHEN WE ARE KIND OF WE'RE WATCHING WHAT IS GOING ON AND WE WEREN'T FIRST BECAUSE YOU GO FIRST, YOU THINK OF FAIRFAX RIGHT NOW AND I'M NOT COMPARING OUT THERE, DON'T NOBODY SAY I'M COMPARING FAIRFAX.

SCOTT IS A DEAR FRIEND OF MINE.

I LOVE YOU SCOTT.

I'M NOT TRYING TO PUT ANYTHING DOWN.

FAIRFAX PUT THEIR INFORMATION OUT FIRST RIGHT.

YOU HAVE DIVISIONS NOW IN THE PAST WEEK SAYING THEY ARE GOING 100% VIRTUAL.

NOW YOU KNOW FOR SURE FAIRFAX IS GOING TO HAVE TO REVISIT THEIR PLAN SOMEWAY.

BECAUSE THEY MAY HAVE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THOSE AREAS.

IT MAY NOT CHANGE AT ALL.

THEY MAY GO WITH WHAT THEY ORIGINALLY WANTED TO DO.

BUT IT DOES HAVE AN IMPACTED ON THEM AND THEY HAVE TO REVISIT WHAT THEY'VE ALREADY PUT OUT AND THAT CHANGES SOME OF THEIR PLAN WHAT THEY HAVE ALREADY SHARED OUT WITH THEIR COMMUNITY.

WHAT WE'RE TRYING TO DO IS MAKE SURE BY THE TIME AND WE'RE STAYING TRUE TO OUR PLANS, YOU HAVEN'T SEEN US CHANGE A TIME WE'RE GOING TO GIVE YOU INFORMATION.

WE BRING THE STUFF WE SAY WE'RE BRINGING TO YOU.

WE'RE WORKING LIKE CRAZY BEHIND THE SCENES U.

BUT WE'RE STICKING TO OUR MILESTONES SO WHEN WE GET TO AUGUST 7 WE'VE USED SO IN M DATA POINTS THIS ADDITION TO THE SURVEY.

WE'RE LOOK AT OUTSIDE RESOURCES AS WELL AND WE'LL PRESENT THE BEST THING POSSIBLE BASED ON FEASIBILITY AND WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE IS DOING.

OUR RELATIONSHIPS AND COMMUNICATION BETWEEN ALL THE SCHOOL DIVISIONS IS SOLID.

WE A NORTHERN VIRGINIA MEETINGS.

I THINK WHAT HAS HAPPENED FROM THE FIRST TIME MEETING AS A REGION AND SAYING LET'S TRY TO DO THE SAME THING AND LET'S RELEASE IT AT THE SAME TIME.

THAT WAS OUR PLAN A MONTH AND A HALF AGO.

LOOK WHERE WE ARE NOW.

I THINK WHAT HAPPENED DURING THAT TIME IS THAT WE REALIZE EVERY SCHOOL DIVISION IN EVERY CITY HAS DIFFERENT CHALLENGES AND DIFFERENT NEEDS.

HAS A DIFFERENT POPULATION THEY EVERYBODY IS.

YOU HAVE TO TRY TO MEET YOUR COMMUNITY AND POPULATION AND WHAT IS FEASIBLE IN YOUR CITY THE BEST YOU CAN.

AND I THINK THAT WAS KIND OF LIKE WHAT WE LEARNED OVER THE PAST MONTH AND A HALF AS A REGION.

BUT WE'RE IN CONSTANT COMMUNICATION.

WE SHARE OUT OUR COMMUNICATIONS BEFORE THEY GO OUT PUBLICLY INTERNALLY WITH THE SUPERINTENDENTS.

WE TALK TO EACH OTHER AND SAY THIS IS WHAT WE'RE GOING TO BE PRESENTING TO THE BOARD OR THIS IS WHAT WE SHARED AT OUR BOARD MEETING OR THIS IS WHAT WE'RE THINKING.

WE HAVE THOSE DISCUSSIONS INTERNALLY AND WE'RE CONTINUING TO DO THAT.

>> NEXT UP I HAVE DR. REEF.

[01:30:03]

>> THANK YOU.

I'M GLAD YOU TOUCHED ON CHILD CARE.

THAT WAS ONE OF THE THINGS I WAS GOING TO ASK.

I'M GLAD TO HEAR THERE IS DISCUSSION WITH THE CITY AND COMMUNITY PARTNERS ABOUT HOW WE CAN THINK ABOUT MEETING THAT NEED FOR FAMILIES.

ALSO WITH EITHER MODEL WE GO WITH, MANY PARENT WE'VE HEARD FROM HAVE SHARED THEY NEED MORE SUPPORT IN TERMS OF UNDERSTANDING HOW THEY CAN BEST SUPPORT THEIR CHILDREN.

THAT'S SOMETHING I'VE HEARD EVEN BEFORE THIS PANDEMIC.

I THINK IT'S SO CRITICAL NOW GUIDANCE THAT WE CAN GIVE TO PARENTED WHO HAVE SOME OF THEM HAVE SAID I FEEL LIKE I'M THE TEACHER'S AID AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING, I NEED MORE DIRECTION.

I WAS WONDERING HOW YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT THAT IF ANY OF THE CROSS FUNCTIONAL PLANNING TEAMS IF THAT IS PART OF WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON.

AND THEN MY OTHER QUESTION IS SINCE WE'RE NOT MEETING AGAIN FOR THREE WEEKS WHICH IS A LONG TIME, I WAS WONDERING WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION WILL THE BOARD BE RECEIVING BETWEEN NOW AND AUGUST 7, WILL THERE BE BOARD BRIEFS? WILL WE GET UPDATES ON PLANNING OR GET THE WHOLE THING ON AUGUST 7?

>> SO THE BOARD AND COMMUNITY IS GOING TO RECEIVE WEEKLY UPDATES.

WE WANT TO KEEP THE COMMUNITY ENGAGED THROUGHOUT THE THIS TIME TOO.

SO WHEN WE GET TO AUGUST 7 IT'S REALLY JUST EVERYBODY SEEING A CULMINATION OF EVERYTHING OVER THE PAST SEVERAL WEEKS BUT YOU ARE GETTING BITS AND PIECES OF THE PLAN EVERY WEEK.

THAT IS INTENTIONAL.

SO YOU ALL WILL SEE THAT.

THERE WILL ALSO BE VIDEOS SIMILAR TO LAST WEEK HOWDY A Q AND A VIDEO SO THAT IS ANOTHER FORM OF COMMUNICATION THAT GOES OUT TO OUR COMMUNITIES JUST UPDATING THEM ON WHERE WE ARE.

AND THEN ALL OF OUR SESSIONS WHICH I HOPE PEOPLE ARE TUNE WILLING-IN ARE BEING RECORDED BECAUSE WE WANT PEOPLE TO SEE SOME OF THE DISCUSSIONS HAPPENING BEHIND THE SCENES AND HOW SOME OF THE QUESTIONS COMMUNITY MEMBERS HAVE HOW THEY MAKE IT TO THE PLANNING MEETINGS AND ARE DISCUSSED TOO.

IT'S VALIDATING THAT PEOPLE'S VOICES TRULY ARE POWER.

THIS IS A VERY COLLABORATIVE THAT'S RIGHT THERE ISN'T A PLAN.

THERE WAS A RUMOR THERE IS A PLAN.

IF THERE WAS A PLAN I WOULDN'T BE UP ALL NIGHT.

I WOULD JUST SAY HERE IS THE PLAN, THIS IS WHAT WE'RE GOING TO DO.

WE WANT TO RESPECT THE PROCESS AND THE 100 PLUS PEOPLE WHO ARE DEVOTING THEIR TIME EVERY DAY.

IT'S A HUGE ASK OVER THIS PAST FEW WEEKS.

IT'S STILL NOT OVER FOR US.

WE'RE STILL WORKING THROUGH THIS.

BY THE TIME WE GET TO AUGUST 7 YOU'LL SEE A COMBINATION.

>> SUPPORT FOR PARENTS WITH WHATEVER MODEL WE GO WITH.

I THINK THERE MIGHT BE A STEPPED UP NEED FOR THAT.

>> YES.

WE HAVE HAD DISCUSSIONS.

OUR PLANNING TEAMS ARE HAVING DISCUSSIONS AROUND NOT ONLY THE SUPPORTS FOR STAFF BUT ALSO WHAT ARE SOME SUPPORTS THAT CAN HAPPEN IN THE HOME.

I THINK WHAT WE HAD WITH PARENTS DOING EXTRA BETWEEN MARCH AND JUNE WAS BECAUSE OF SO MUCH FLEXIBILITY WE HAD BETWEEN MARCH AND JUNE.

IT'S NOT THAT WE DON'T WANT OUR STAFF MEMBERS TO BE ABLE TO BALANCE WORK AND JUST PERSONAL LIVES.

BUT WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE A LITTLE MORE STRUCTURE AND MORE CONCRETE EXPECTATIONS AROUND THE TIME THAT OR THE COMMITMENT THAT TEACHERS AND STAFF MEMBERS ARE MAKING TO INTERACT WITH KIDS SO IT'S NOT KIND OF LIKE WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST.

WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A MINIMUM REQUIREMENT SO THAT EVERYBODY KNOWS WHAT THEY SHOULD EXPECT.

AND THEN WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH OUR EXPECTATIONS FOR OTHER STAFF GROUPS OTHER THAN OUR TEACHERS WHO CAN ALSO PROVIDE THE SUPPORTS.

IT MIGHT HAVE TO BE VIRTUAL BUT THAT IS STILL A SUPPORT THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE A PARENT TO HAVE TO DO THAT AT HOME.

WE'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT HAVING SOME TUTORIAL VIDEOS FOR FAMILIES.

WE DIDN'T HAVE THAT BETWEEN MARCH AND JUNE OF HOW DO YOU USE WHEN YOU GET A BOX AT HOME, HOW DO I USE THE STUFF.

JUST SOMETHING THAT CAN GIVE YOU CLIFF NOTES OR WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH ALL THESE THING.

THESE ARE LESSONS WE'RE LEARNING FROM THE SUMMER LEARNING KITS THAT HAVE GONE HOME.

PEOPLE ARE LIKE WHAT SHOULD WE DO WITH THE CLAY AND CRAYONS AND KIDS ARE JUST PLAYING WITH THEM.

THOSE ARE THINGS WE ARE WORKING THROUGH.

>> I THINK I DON'T SEE ANYBODY ELSE'S HAND RAISED RIGHT NOW.

[01:35:07]

SO WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEE THE UPDATED AS YOU ALL WORK ON IT AND BETWEEN NOW AND THE NEXT MEETING AND THEN THE FULL REVIEW OF THE PLAN AT THAT TIME.

SO WE WILL HAVE TWO MORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR PUBLIC HEARING ON AUGUST 6 AT 7:00 AND ON DURING OUR NEXT MEETING ON FRIDAY THE SEVENTH AT NOON.

THOSE WILL BE TWO TIMES THE PUBLIC CAN SPEAK.

NOW WE'LL GO ON TO THE WEEKLY Q AND A.

[8. School Board Weekly Q&A with Dr. Hutchings]

IT'S 1:38.

NOW WOULD BE THE TIME FOR OTHER QUESTIONS THAT ARE UNRELATED TO THE OPENING, IF PEOPLE HAVE COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE.

>> I WAS JUST CURIOUS TO GET AN UPDATE ON HOW THE SUMMER LEARNING PROGRAM HAS BEEN GOING.

>> IF YOU CAN GIVE US AN UPDATE ON OUR SUMMER LEARNING PROGRAMMING.

>> WITH ALL THE 4.0 TALK IT'S LIKE 3.0 DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE.

WE ARE ENDING WEEK TWO THIS WEEK.

WE SAW THINGS SETTLE DOWN.

WE I THINK THE TEAM THE MOST WE'VE HAD PARENTS CALLING AND EMAILING WHICH BODIES WELL FOR US AS A SCHOOL DISTRICT.

I DON'T HAVE IT READY.

OUR ATTENDANCE WE SAW ATTENDANCE GO UP.

STUDENTS ARE ACCESSING LIVE INSTRUCTION IN ELEMENTARY FROM 9:00 TO 9:45.

AND THEN WE KNOW OUR MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS AND HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS ARE DOING LOOSE COURSES.

WE JUST HAD THE DROP PERIOD FOR OUR STUDENTS.

THEY WERE TAKE A CREDIT COURSE.

WE HAD A NUMBER OF STUDENTS DROP THOSE COURSES AND THE HIGH SCHOOL DID A GOOD JOB OF REACHING OUT THE FAMILIES AND SAY JOHNNY HASN'T DONE ANY WORK.

FOR THE FIRST TIME WE ARE GIVING FAMILIES IF THEY DROPPED A REFUND.

THAT IS USUALLY NOT THE CASE.

WE KNOW THESE ARE HARD TIMES.

AND THEN WE'RE STILL COLLECTING OUR DATA AS FAR AS ATTENDANCE AND ALSO I WISH I HAD A VIDEO READY TO SHOW YOU.

WE HAVE OUR THIRD AND FOURTH GRADE STUDENTS UPLOADING VIDEOS TO CANVAS AND SOME OF THEIR WORK.

WE PLAN ON HAVING A SHOW CASE FOR THE SCHOOL BOARD WHEN WE DO OUR SUMMER SCHOOL REPORT.

BUT THE TEAM THERE IS AN ARMY OF PEOPLE WORKING TIRELESSLY TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

AND NEXT WEEK I WILL HAVE -- WE DON'T HAVE A MEETING NEXT WEEK BUT AUGUST 7 I'LL GIVE YOU THE NUMBER OF STUDENTS THAT HAVE PARTICIPATED.

AND THIS WEEK STARTED OUR MUSIC CAMP.

>> THANK YOU.

>> UNLESS THERE ARE ANYMORE COMMENTS RELATED OR QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS RELATED TO SUMMER SCHOOL, I'M HAPPY TO GO LAST JUST BECAUSE I HAVE COMMENTS I'D LIKE TO SHARE UNRELATED TO SUMMER SCHOOL.

>> THIS IS THE POT PORY AREA.

>> I WANTED TO TAKE SOME TIME TO SHARE SOME COMMENTS BECAUSE WE DID THE BOARD VOTED AROUND A MOTION LAST WEEK AROUND TC WILLIAMS RENAMING.

AND SO THIS TOPIC HAS REALLY BROUGHT UP FOR ME THE DEPTH OF WHY WE NEED TO HAVE CONVERSATION AROUND RACIAL EQUITY IN ALL OF OUR DECISION MAKING.

AND WE ACTUALLY RECEIVED SOME EMAILS EXPRESSING SOME DISAPPOINTMENT AROUND THE I GUESS WHAT IS LACK OF WHAT IS SEEN AS AN EXPEDITIOUS PROCESS AROUND THIS.

I WANTED TO TAKE A MOMENT TO CLARIFY SOME OF MY COMMENTS FROM LAST WEEK BUT REALLY

[01:40:05]

EXPAND ON THEM AS WELL I.

JUST WANT TO BE CLEAR WITH THE PUBLIC MY THOUGHTS AROUND RACIAL EQUITY AND I JUST FELT LIKE AT THIS POINT IN TIME IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT FOR ME AT LEAST TO BE CLEAR ABOUT MY THINKING.

I APOLOGIZE IF SOME OF THE COMMENTS MAY BE REPETITIVE BUT THERE ARE SOME NEW ONES I WILL BE SHARING AS WELL.

I THINK I JUST WANTED TO SHARE THAT MY THOUGHTS AROUND THE T.C.

NAME CHANGE FALL INTO WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE THREE MAJOR THOUGHTS AND THREE MAJOR BUCKETS.

BUT THEN THERE IS A FOURTH ONE THAT SUMS IT UP FOR ME.

AGAIN THE FIRST ISSUE IS AROUND GOVERNMENT.

I WANT TO RESPOND TO THAT FOR THE COMMUNITY AND BEGIN WITH A VERY CLEAR POINT.

DO I NOT BELIEVE NOR DO I WANT THE NAME OF ANY RACIST OR SEGREGATIONIST OR CONFEDERATED OR SYMBOL OF SUCH ON ANY PUBLIC BUILDING OR PROPERTY.

I THINK MOTION IS CLEAR AROUND THE BOARD'S UNDERSTANDING OF WHO T.C.

WILLIAMS WAS, WHAT HE VALUED, WHAT HE DID NOT VALUE AND T.C.

WILLIAMS VALUES ARE NOT MY VALUES.

BUT AS A MEMBER OF AN ELECTED BODY DO I VALUE DEMOCRACY.

THAT I BELIEVE I MUST ADHERE TO THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS AND MY OPINIONS ALONE CAN'T AND SHOULD NOT DRIVE MY GOVERNING DECISIONS.

IT'S IMPORTANT AS A GOVERNING BODY WE CREATE SPACE, TIME AND PROCESS THAT ALLOWS AS MANY CONSTITUENTS AS POSSIBLE TO CHIME IF ON CONTROVERSIAL ISSUES.

THAT INCLUDES HEARING FROM CONSTITUENTS HO DO NOT LOOK LIKE ME, DO NOT SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGE THAT I SPEAK AND DO NOT THINK THE WAY THAT I DO.

LET US ALSO BE REMINDED THIS WAS A SCHOOL THAT WAS IMPORTANT ENOUGH FOR DISNEY TO TELL A SPECIFIC STORY WHETHER WE AGREE THAT OR NOT AND RESONATED NOT ONLY IN OUR COMMUNITY BUT AROUND THE WORLD.

THIS WAS A SCHOOL THAT WAS IMPORTANT ENOUGH FOR THE COMMUNITY TO DEBATE FOR MONTHS WHETHER IT SHOULD REMAIN ONE HIGH SCHOOL OR TWO WITH MANY ARGUING OF THE IMPORTANCE OF ITS LEGACY AND THE DIVISION THAT WOULD APPROXIMATE CREATED IF ALL OF ALEXANDRIA STUDENTS WOULD NOT HAVE THE OPTION OF ATTENDING T.C.

WILLIAMS HIGH SCHOOL.

AT THE END OF THE DAY IT WAS IMPORTANT ENOUGH FOR THE SCHOOL BOARD TO VOTE JUST THIS PAST SEPTEMBER TO KEEP IT ONE HIGH SCHOOL INSTEAD OF BUILDING A SECOND.

SURELY WE NEED TO MAKE SPACE FOR ALL OF THE VOICES THAT WILL EMERGE THROUGH A ROBUST PROCESS.

THIS LEADS ME TO MY NEXT POINT.

THE STUDENTS.

IF YOU KNOW ME OR YOU'VE HEARD ME SPEAK, YOU KNOW I BELIEVE THAT OUR STUDENTS SHOULD BE AT THE CENTER OF ALL OUR DECISION MAKING.

THE CHANGE WE SEEK FOR OUR COUNTRY WILL ONLY BE SUSTAINED BY ALLOWING THE EMERGENCE OF THEIR VOICES AND TEACHING THEM ALL THE STEPS IT TAKES TO SAVE THIS WORLD.

AS A SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER THAT I BELIEVE THE CONDITION OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT TODAY IS A MAJOR REFLECTION ON OUR FAILURE TO TEACH BOTH NECESSITY AND POWER OF CITY COMMUNITY NOON-IN OUR SCHOOLS.

WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY HERE.

THIS TYPE OF CHANGE NEEDS TO HAVE STUDENT VOICES AT THE CENTER.

THIS PROCESS NEEDS TO BE AN EDUCATIONAL MOMENT OR TRANSFORMATIVE CHANGE AND WE MUST TEACH OUR STUDENTS THAT SUSTAINABLE TONS TRANSFORMATION TAKES THOUGHTFUL WORK, RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS FROM WHICH FINAL CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN.

OUR T.C.

STUDENTS NEED TO BE THE CHANGE MAKERS HERE.

THEY NEED TO HAVE CO-OWNERSHIP IN THAT PROCESS AN HEAR ALL SIDES OF THE STORY AND LISTENING TO PEOPLE WHO DON'T AGREE WITH THEM.

JUST A FEW MONTHS AGO I TAUGHT THIS ALONGSIDE OTHER ELECTED OFFICIALS IN OUR COMMUNITY TO SOME OF OUR EIGHTH GRADE CIVIC STUDENTS.

I HAVE TO NOW BE A MODEL TO THEM.

BY SAYING WHAT I MEAN AND DOING WHAT I SAY.

THIS LEADS ME TO THE NEXT POINT.

I AM SO THE VALUE OF EDUCATION HERE IS SO IMPORTANT.

MY UNDERSTANDING AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REGARDING WHAT IT TAKES TO BE AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION THAT HAS THE VISION AND TOOLS REQUIRED TO AFFECT TRANSFORMATIVE CHANGE HAS LED ME TO ONE CORE VALUE.

THAT'S THAT THE FOCUS ALWAYS HAS TO BE ON THE STUDENT AND FULL EDUCATIONAL SERVICES.

THE FULL EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE THEY RECEIVE.

OUR EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS HAVE BEEN AMONGST THE GREATEST MOST POWERFUL AND AEGREGIOUS PERPETRATORS OF RACISM THIS COUNTRY.

ONE OF THE GREATEST WAYS THAT A SLAVE MASTER EXERCISED CONTROL OVER A SLAVES TO FORBID THEM FROM LEARNING TO READ.

SLAVES WERE FORBIDDEN FROM ACCESSING LITERACY.

THIS WAS SO IMPORTANT TO A SLAVE MAST THEY'RE IF A SLAVE WAS FOUND WITH A BOOK

[01:45:03]

THEY WOULD BE WHIP AND EVEN KILLED.

SO THE DATA IN ACPS IS STRIKINGLY CLEAR.

WE HAVE NOT OVERCOME.

NOT ONLY HAVE WE CREATED SEGREGATED TRACKS IN OUR INTEGRATED SCHOOLS BUT THE BATTA SHOWS WE'RE FAILING BLACK AND BROWN STUDENTS IN ACCESS TO CURRICULUM AND DEVELOPMENT OF ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND 400 YEARS OF DRINKING THE COOL AID WILL NOT BE AN EASY DETOX.

IT WILL NOT BE EASY FOR ANY ONE OF US BUT ESPECIALLY NOT FOR OUR STAFF AND TEACHERS.

THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT WORK.

IT TAKES IMMENSE DEDICATION, IMMENSE TIME, ENERGY AND COMMITMENT.

AND IT MUST BE PRIORITIZED.

I SAY THIS TO SAY THAT THE ISSUE OF RENAMING T.C.

WILLIAMS IS NOT AS SIMPLE AS RIPPING DOWN A STATUTE.

EDUCATION IS MUCH MORE COMPLEX.

I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT AFTER 16 YEARS OF THE WORK IN TRYING TO DO ALL OF THIS IN THE MIDST OF A GLOBAL PANDEMIC IS NOT THE EQUIVALENT OF WALKING WHILE CHEWING GUM.

MOST EDUCATORS WALK AND CHEW GUM WHILE JUGGLING TEN BALLS AT THE SAME TIME.

AT THIS TIME IN HISTORY WE'RE DOING ALL OF THOSE THINGS WHILE WALK ON A TIGHT ROPE.

THE BALLS ARE ON FIRE AND THERE IS NO END IN SIGHT.

THIS INDEED IS NOT A TRIVIAL PLACE TO BE AND IT'S MORE TROUBLING WHEN YOU ARE MANAGING A POPULATION OF STUDENTS AT 60% FARM RATE.

I WORK CLOSELY WITH EXPERTS WHO ARE TALKING SERIOUSLY ABOUT THE NUMBER OF STUDENTS WHO WILL BE IMPACTED BY THIS PANDEMIC.

IT IS NO SMALL TASK.

IF WE TRULY BELIEVE IN RACIAL EQUITY WE MUST HAVE A LACER FOCUS LENS ON THE EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCES WE PROVIDE TO OUR STUDENTS OF COLOR.

I BELIEVE THAT DR. HUTCHINGS CAME HERE TO MAKE THE BEST THE WORLD OF EDUCATION HAS SEEN.

TO SUPPORT HIM -- WHEN THE BOARD DECIDES THE NAME WILL CHANGE, SURELY THAT WILL BE THE ICENING TO CAKE.

LET US ALSO MAKE SURE WE HAVE A CAKE TO PUT THE ICING ON.

DR. HUTCHINGS SHARED A SONG IN THE BEGINNING OF ALL OF THIS MOVEMENT WE'RE SEEING NOW WAKE UP EVERYBODY.

I MAKES ME THINK OF SPIKE LEE AND THE SPIKE LEE MOVIE SCHOOL DAYS WHERE AT THE END HE SAYS WAKE UP.

THAT'S MY CONCLUDING PLEA TO THE STAFF AND THIS COMMUNITY AND FAMILIES OF ACPS.

IT BOILS DOWN TO THE WORD WAKE UP.

ALEXANDRIA WAKE UP.

DO NOT BE SATISFIED WITH A SCHOOL BOARD, CITY COUNCIL OR STATED OFFICIAL THAT WILL ACT QUICKER ON REMOVING STATUTES AND CHANGING NAMES THAN ADDRESSING ROOT CAUSE OF RACISM.

SHINY OBJECTS LOSE THEIR LUSTER OVER TIME.

IF YOU WANT TO BE AN ALLY HELP ME TO BUILD SOMETHINGTA WILL LAST THE TEST OF TIME.

BLACK ALEXANDRIAIANS RISE UP.

CALL OUT WHITE INSTIGATE FORSOOK SAYING TO YOU OR ANYONE I KNOW WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC BUT BECAUSE THERE IS NO BUT ABOUT LIVING THROUGH A GLOBAL PANDEMIC AS A PERSON OF COLOR.

THIS IS A PANDEMIC THAT IS MORE LIKE THROW HAVE AN IMPACT ON THE LIFE OF YOUR LIFE THAN YOUR CHILDREN.

THAT YOU WOULD THANKSGIVING SHOULD NOT BE TRIFLIALIZED.

TO SAY I KNOW THERE IS A PANDEMIC BUT IS A STATEMENT OF YOUR PRIVILEGE.

THE LEVEL OF PRIVILEGE TALK CAN'T BE COVERED BY A NAME CHANGE NOR FOR A STREET, SCHOOL OR STATUTE AND IT SHOULDN'T FROM YOU EITHER.

IF YOU HAVE A HATE HAS NO HOME HERE SIGN IN YOUR YARD BUT CHOOSE TO USE SOCIAL MEDIA OR OTHER COURSE OF TACTICS TO BULLY ELECTED OFFICIALS, PLEASE WAKE UP.

THESE TACTICS ARE NO BETTER THAN THOSE USED IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF PROPAGANDA DADA THAT CAUSE POLITICAL DISCOWARD FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE AISLE.

I QUIETLY WATCHED IT HAPPEN TO COUNCIL MEMBERS, MAYOR, SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS AND OFFICIALS.

WAKE UP AMERICA.

DEMAND THAT GOVERNMENT IS NOT INTERESTED IN POLITICAL PANDERING BUT INSTEAD FOCUSES ON DEVELOPMENT OF PROCESSES, SYSTEMS AND SUSTAINABLE INFRASTRUCTURE THAT WORKS TO EVERYBODY IS THE COMMON WELFARE OUTLINED AND PRIORITIZED IN OUR PREAMBLE.

AND FINALLY JUST FOR THE RECORD I WILL NOT POLITICALLY PANNED TORE ANYONE.

IT IS NOT MY STYLE AND YOU WILL NOT GET THAT FROM ME.

BUT HOPEFULLY WE FIGURED OUT BY NOW THIS TYPE OF POLITICS HAS GOTTEN US NOWHERE.

IT'S NOT GOTTEN MY PEOPLE ANYWHERE AND YET TO MOVE THE STUDENTS FOR.

WE ARE A WEALTHY LOCALITY.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR OUR OUTCOME.

WAKE UP.

BLACK LIVES WILL NOT MATTER UNTIL WE DO.

[01:50:03]

THANK YOU MADAM CHAIR.

>> THANK YOU.

I HAVE DR. HUTCHINGS WANTS TO SPEAK.

>> I JUST WANT TO SAY WOW.

I THINK IT'S AN HONOR TO BE A PART OF A TEAM WHERE THE BOARD DOES HAVE THE COURAGE TO SPEAK UP AND SPEAK OUT.

YOUR WORDS AS WERE SPEAKING RESONATED WITH ME.

I THINK WHAT YOU ARE SAYING ARE THINGS THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK ESPECIALLY AFRICAN-AMERICAN PEOPLE THINK.

I BELIEVE.

I'M NOT SPEAKING ON BEHALF OF AFRICAN-AMERICANS OUT THERE BUT WE DON'T SAY.

FOR YOU TO HAVE THE COURAGE TO SPEAK YOUR TRUTH I THINK IS SO IMPORTANT.

I THINK THAT PEOPLE ARE UNDERESTIMATING AS WE'RE GETTING SOME OF THE EMAILS COMING IN.

I THINK SOMETIMES PEOPLE UNDERESTIMATE HOW DIFFICULT THIS REOPENING PIECE IS.

IT IS TREMENDOUSLY A LOT OF WORK.

THIS WAS JUST THREE DAYS OF WORK WE'RE SHARING WITH YOU ALL TODAY.

THAT IS JUST THREE DAYS OF WORK.

I GET FIVE HOURS OF SLEEP A DAY BECAUSE I'M HAVING TO READ ALL THESE DOCUMENTS.

I HAVE TO STAY ENGAGED SO I'M MAKING THE RIGHT DECISIONS AND USING OUR FEEDBACK FROM OUR COMMUNITY TO MAKE THESE DECISIONS.

IT'S TAKEN A TOLL ON ALL OF US.

BUT WE KNOW WE HAVE TO DO IT FOR OUR YOUNG PEOPLE AND OUR STAFF.

AND AT THE END OF THE DAY WHEN WE'RE TRYING TO RELEASE WHATEVER THE PLAN IS GOING TO BE ON AUGUST 7, IT IS TAKING EVERYTHING THAT WE HAVE IN REGARDS TO OUR ENERGY.

THIS IS THE SUMMER.

WE'VE GONE THROUGH A PANDEMIC FROM MARCH TO JUNE.

IT'S NOT STOPPED FOR OUR TEAM.

AND I THINK THAT THE BOARD HAS MADE IT CLEAR WITH WHO THOMAS WILLIAMS IS OR WAS.

AND HOW HIS VALUES DID NOT ALIGN WITH OUR MISSION AND OUR VISION AN CORE VALUES.

AND IT DOESN'T ALIGN TODAY.

I THINK IT WAS VERY CLEAR.

AND I WOULD EXPECT SOME OF THE FEEDBACK AND SOME OF THE APPROACHES THAT PEOPLE ARE HAVING IN OUR COMMUNITY, I WOULD EXPECT THAT IF THE BOARD SET ABSOLUTELY NOT.

HOW DARE YOU THINK WE'RE GOING TO CHANGE THE NAME OF A SCHOOL.

THAT'S NOT WHAT I HEARD FROM THE MOTION THAT HAPPENED LAST WEEK.

I HEARD THAT YOU ALL REALLY WANTED TO JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE STAYING TRUE TO A PROCESS.

AND I THINK THAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

ONE LAST FINAL THOUGHT AND I'M GOING THE GET OFF MY SOAP BOX AS WELL.

I WAS NOT PLANNING TO GO HERE.

I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT ESPECIALLY FOR ME AS AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN MAN IN THIS COUNTRY WHEN PEOPLE COME AT ME WITH WHAT I NEED TO DO TO BECOME AN ANTY RACIST, NOT THAT BLACK PEOPLE CAN'T BE RACIST BECAUSE THEY CAN.

HOWEVER YOU DON'T WALK IN MY SHOES.

SO YOU CAN'T -- IF ANYBODY IS GOING TO BE ADVOCATING FOR SOMEBODY TO CHANGE SOMETHING OR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN IN REGARDS TO RACIST ACTS IT IS GOING TO BE ME WHO IS A PRODUCT OF THIS SCHOOL DIVISION.

I'VE SEEN IT FIRSTHAND OF WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I WAS A STUDENT FROM KINDERGARTEN THROUGH 12TH GRADE AND AS A SUPERINTENDENT I GET TO SEE THE SAME STUFF HAPPENING.

IF ANYBODY HAS A VISCERAL REACTION TO WHAT NEEDS TO CHANGE, TRUST ME, IT'S ME.

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WIN A BATTLE FIGHTING KNOW TELL ME WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

I KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

YOU ARE NOT TELLING ME ANYTHING NEW.

I WANT PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT I BELIEVE IN ONE THIS BOARD.

I ALSO BELIEVE IN THE STRATEGY PLAN WE JUST ADOPTED.

AND I'M ONE PROUD TO BE ABLE TO BE THE SUPERINTENDENT AT THIS VERY TIME IN OUR HISTORY.

AND I KNOW THAT OUR TEAM IS GOING TO BE COMMITTED TO THE CHAGALL GAVE ME AND THAT IS TO COME TO YOU ON AUGUST 27 WAY PLAN OF ACTION SO THAT WE CAN MOVE FORWARD WITH THIS RENAMING PROCESS.

AND WE'RE GOING TO DO THAT.

WE JUST WANT TO RIGHT NOW FOCUS ON GETTING THE REOPENING PIECE DONE.

IF YOU ALLOW TO US COME ON AUGUST 27 SO WE CAN LAY OUT HOW WE'RE GOING TO GET ALL OF THIS DONE, I THINK EVERYBODY CAN CALM DOWN AND ALLOW TO US REOPEN OUR SCHOOLS AND PUT OUR FOCUS ON THAT.

JUST SO WE'RE NOT BEING TAKEN OFF TRACK.

WHICH I THINK IS KIND OF HAPPENING.

[01:55:01]

I SEE IT SLOWING DOWN A LITTLE BIT.

I HOPE IT CONTINUES.

LET US GOAT AUGUST 27 AND LET US GO THROUGH THIS PROCESS OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL MONTHS.

I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING FURTHER TORE SAY.

[9. Report from Cindy M. Anderson]

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING KNOW EVEN SPEAK.

[10. Closed Meeting]

I JUST WANTED TO RESPOND.

>> THAT'S FINE.

IT'S CALLED THE DR. HUTCHINGS Q AND A.

THAT ALLOWS TO YOU SPEAK TOO SO THANK YOU.

THAT'S IT.

I TALKED ABOUT THE THINGS THAT WERE LISTED UNDER MY CHAIR'S REPORT AND THAT WAS REMINDER ANOTHER HEARING ON THE 6TH AND 7TH AND ONE ON THE 6TH IS AT 7:00 P.M.

AND ON THE SEVENTH IS AT NOON.

YOU CAN CONTACT THE CLERK TO SIGN UP FOR THAT AND WE'LL BE POSTING ALL OF THE ANYTHING THAT YOU WRITE IN FOR THE MEETING AS WELL.

SO NOW WE ACTUALLY HAVE A CLOSED SESSION THAT WE NEED TO GO INTO.

IF VICE CHAIR COULD READ US IN.

ARE YOU WITH US?

>> >> I SAW HER DROP OFF MY SCREEN.

>> I THINK SHE DID DROP OFF.

>> COULD YOU HELP US OUT THEN?

[Items 11 & 12]

>> YES.

I CAN.

I MOVE THAT THE BOARD CONVENE A CLOSED MEETING PURSUANT TO VIRG VERGE CODE 2 PRESIDENT 23711A1 FOR THE DISCUSSION AND CONSIDERATION OF EMPLOYMENT PERFORMANCE AND CONTRACTUAL MATTERS FOR 35 SPECIFIC PUBLIC EMPLOYEES.

>> SECOND.

>> 80 CALL FOR ROLL CALL VOTE FOR CLOSED SESSION.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> YES.

>> SO THAT IS EIGHT YES AND ONE ABSENT.

JUST A REMINDER TO EVERYONE WE NEED TO LEAVE THIS MEETING AND GO TO THE OTHER LINK.

WE'LL MEET YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE.

THANKS.

PLEASE STAND BY, PLEASE STAND BY.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

IN CLOSED SESSION.

>> SHE'S TRYING TO LOG IN.

>> TECHNICALLY YOU ONLY NEED FIVE.

>> I DON'T KNOW IF ANYBODY ELSE HAS THE CERTIFICATION LANGUAGE.

>> IF YOU COULD EMAIL IT TO SOMEONE.

[02:00:04]

DO ANYTHING WITH REGARDS TO GRIEVANCE MATTER.

>> NO.

NO.

>> MADAM CHAIR I MOVE 2.23712 MOVE THE BOARD CERTIFY BEST OF EACH MEMBERS KNOWLEDGE ONLY PUBLIC BUSINESS MATTERS BY BY THE CLOSED MEETINGS CONVENED AND THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ABILITY WERE HEARD DISCUSSED OR MENTIONED FROM THE BOARD MEETING.

>> SECOND.

>> I THINK I HEARD HER SECONDING THE MOTION.

I WILL NOW CALL FOR THE VOTES.

>> VERONICA FROZE OUT.

>> SHE SAID HER INTERNET SCREWED UP AGAIN.

>> YOU DECIDE WHETHER SHE'S ABSENT OR A YES.

EITHER WAY I THINK WORKS.

NOW WE JUST NEED TO ADJOURN.

>> MADAM CHAIR I MOVE WE ADJOURN THIS MEETING.

>> SECOND.

>> MISS GREEN SECONDS THE MOTION TO ADJOURN.

I WILL CALL THE ROLL.

>> I BEAT YOU.

I THINK WE BURNED ZOOM OUT.

>> I THINK WE DID TOO.

>> ANOTHER 7 YES AND TWO NOT PRESENT AT THIS MOMENT.

ALL RIGHT EVERYBODY, HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND.

>> WHAT DO YOU NEED FOR FROM US?

>> MARGARET YOU HAD THAT ONE THING†-- >> I WILL SEND THAT.

>> AND YOU WANT US TO ALL SEND OUR SCORES.

>> YES, YOU NEED TO SEND YOUR NEW MERIT SCORES AND IF THERE'S OTHER NOTES THAT YOU WANT TO SEND TO ME ABOUT THE OTHER STUFF THAT YOU THINK ABOUT SEND THAT AS WELL.

>> OKAY.

GREAT.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY.

THAT WAS FUN.

>> BYE GUYS.

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.