Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

>> OKAY SO WE'RE LIVE.

[00:00:01]

I SEE THE LIVE BUT I DON'T SEE THE RECORDING YET.

[Call to Order]

>> I CAN'T GET BACK TO THAT PAGE.

>> THERE IT IS.

WE ARE RECORDING.

THANK YOU SUSAN.

THIS IS THE VIRTUAL SPECIAL-CALLED MEETING FOR MAY 15TH, 2020.

AND WE'RE GOING TO DO THE ROLL CALL WHEN I CALL YOUR NAME PLEASE INDICATE THAT YOU ARE PRESENT.

I AM CINDY ANDERSON.

MEAGAN ALDERTON ARE YOU PRESENT?

>> SORRY, YES.

>> RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

RAMEE GENTRY, PRESENT.

JACINTA GREENE, PRESENT.

MARGARET LORBER, PRESENT.

MICHELLE RIEF, HERE.

PRESENT.

>> I DIDN'T HEAR YOU SO I -- CHRISTOPHER SUAREZ.

PRESENT.

HEATHER THORNTON.

PRESENT.

VERONICA NOLAN, SHE'LL BE JOINING US SHORTLY.

CALLED THE MEETING TO ORDER AT 2020.

MAY I HAVE A MOTION FOR ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA.

>> I MOVE TO ADOPT THE AGENDA.

>> PLEASE INDICATE YOUR VOTE AS I CALL YOUR NAME MANY CINDY ANDERSON, YES.

MEAGAN ALDERTON YES, RAMEE GENTRY, YES.

JACINTA GREENE, YES, MARGARET LORBER, YES, MICHELLE RIEF, YES, CHRISTOPHER SUAREZ, YES, HEAD THEY ARE THORNTON.

YES.

THE 9TH IS VERONICA WHO HAS NOT JOINED US YET.

PUBLIC COMMENTS, SINCE WE ARE DOING THIS VIRTUALLY I WANTED TO LET THE PUBLIC KNOW THAT WE ARE HAVING A WAY TO HAVE PUBLIC COMMENTS THAT WILL BE POSTED WITH THE MEETING.

THAT IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE LETTERS THAT WE GET FROM YOU, WE STILL GET THOSE AS WE ALWAYS HAVE.

BUT IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE YOUR COMMENTS ACTUALLY POSTED WITH THE MEETING

[Item 2]

AGENDA ON FRIDAYS THEN IF YOU CAN GO TO THE CONTACT THE SCHOOL BOARD PAGER, AND LOOK FOR THAT, AND YOU NEED TO HAVE THEM IN BY NOON ON THURSDAY IN ORDER TO BE POSTED FOR THE NEXT DAY'S MEETING.

IS THAT -- I'M GOING TO CONSULT WITH OUR CLERK.

IS THAT -- HAVE I COVERED IT? OKAY SO GOOD, LOOK FORWARD TO THAT.

NOW WE'RE ON TO THE CONSENT CALENDAR.

MAY I HAVE A MOTION TO ADOPT THE CONSENT CALENDAR?

>> MADAM CHAIR, I MOVE WE ADOPT THE CONSENT CALENDAR.

>> SECOND.

>> I HAVE MS. ALDERTON SECONDINGS THE MOTION.

IS CINDY ANDERSON, YES, MEAGAN ALDERTON, YES, RAMEE GENTRY, YES, JACINTA GREENE, YES, MARGARET LORBER, FOR THE CONSENT CALENDAR? YOU'RE MUTED SOMEHOW MARGARET.

SORRY.

>> OKAY, YES.

SORRY.

>> THAT'S FINE.

MICHELLE RIEF, YES.

CHRISTOPHER SUAREZ, YES.

HEATHER THORNTON.

YES.

OKAY THAT'S 8-0.

>> I'M ON CINDY, SORRY.

[Item 3]

>> THERE YOU ARE, OKAY.

I KNOCKED MY PHONE ON THE FLOOR AND I WAS -- I WAS I KNOW THAT MUST BE VERONICA.

I WILL CALLEN VERONICA NOLAN TOO.

YOU'RE PRESENT AND YOU VOTE YES ON THE CONSENT CALENDAR? IS THAT RIGHT?

>> YES, THANK YOU.

>> SO 9-0, SUPER.

NOW WE ARE ON TO THE NEW BUSINESS.

AND THE FIRST THING UP IS THE ACADEMIC CALENDAR.

SO I'M GOING TO TURN IT OVER TO DR. HUTCHINGS.

[Consent Calendar]

>> THANK YOU, MADAM CHAIR.

I'LL TURN IT OVER TO THE CALENDAR COMMITTEE, AS YOU KNOW AS THEY ARE PREPARED TO TAKE SOME COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO KEEP IN MIND THAT YOU KNOW WITH EVERYTHING THAT'S HAPPENING

[Item 9]

WITH THIS PANDEMIC WE COULD BE IN A SITUATION WHERE CALENDARS FOR NEXT YEAR AND CALENDARS FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR COULD LOOK DIFFERENT IN HOW WE DO OR DELIVER OUR INSTRUCTIONS.

SO I WANT US TO ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND EVEN THOUGH WE ARE MAKING A VOTE ON THIS FOR

[00:05:04]

NOW AND HOPING THAT BY 2020, 2022, WE HAVE JUST A LITTLE MORE CONCRETE OF JUST WHAT OUR WORLD WILL LOOK LIKE.

SO I THINK IT'S PORNGHTD FOR US TO JUST HAVE A CAVEAT TO ALL OF THIS KNOWING THAT WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IF FUTURE HOLDS AND THERE ARE SO MANY UNCERTAINTIES THAT THIS COULD CHANGE OR THERE COULD BE A RECOMMENDATION FOR THINGS TO CHANGE WITHIN THIS CALENDAR IN THE FUTURE.

WITH THAT SAID, I'M GOING TO TURN THINGS OVER TO DR. WILKINS.

>> OKAY, THANK YOU DR. HUTCHINGS.

GOOD MORNING BOARD.

WE REQUEST TO START BEFORE LABOR DAY, IN CALENDAR YEAR 2021-2022, AND ANOTHER QUESTION, WAS RAISED WITH REGARDS TO CONFERENCE DAYS.

SO I WARRANT TO ADDRESS CONFERENCE DAYS, ALLOW DR. MANN TO MAKE ANY COMMENT AND THEN TURN IT BACK OVER TO THE BOARD FOR ITS DELIBERATIONS.

WITH RESPECT TO CONFERENCE DAYS, THE CALENDAR COMMITTEE WITH SPECIFIC FEEDBACK FROM DR. MANN AND THE PRINCIPALS REVIEWED HOW TO MAY THE SCHEDULING OF THE PARENTS CONFERENCES FOR THE TEACHERS AND STUDENTS AND THE RECOMMENDATIONS WAS TO CHANGE THE USE OF A HALF-DAY FORMAT, FOLLOWED BY A FULL DAY FORMAT.

MUCH EASIER FOR BOTH FAMILIES AND STAFF TO ARRANGE THESE PARTICULAR CONFERENCES.

IN THE 2020-2022, THERE ARE SEVERAL HALF DAYS SCHEDULED FOR ELEMENTARY, AND FOR THE 2021-2022, YOU'LL JUST SEE ONE FULL DAY FOR CONFERENCES, FOLLOWED BY AN EARLY RELEASE THE FOLLOWING DAY WHICH IS TYPICALLY A FRIDAY, AGAIN, WHICH STREAM LINES THE DAYS, AND MAKES, AGAIN, AN ENTIRE DAY AVAILABLE FOR THE SCHEDULING OF CONFERENCES.

WE AGAIN WOULD ASK FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF THIS CALENDAR IN 2021-2022.

I'LL STOP THERE AND ASK IF DR. MANN WOULD HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS.

>> NO, DR. WILKINS, I DON'T HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS, THANK YOU.

>> OKAY WITH THAT DR. HUTCHINGS, TURN IT BACK OVER TO YOU.

>> ALL RIGHT, SORRY ABOUT THAT, MY SCREEN WENT AWAY FOR A MINUTE.

I'M GOING TO TURN THE SCREEN BACK TO MADAM CHAIR TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS.

>> YES, MINE ALSO WENT AWAY FOR A SECOND, WHICH LED TO A CONCERN THAT I HAD TO ORCHESTRATE QUESTIONS.

I HAVE FIRST UP MS. NOLAN.

>> YES, THANK YOU, DR. WILKINS, FOR THAT OVERARE VIEW SINCE I WAS THE ONE THAT ASKED ABOUT THE CONFERENCES.

SOMETHING, THE MIDDLE SCHOOL FAMILIES DON'T FEEL THERE IS ENOUGH TIME ALLOTTED FOR THE CONFERENCES.

DO YOU THINK THIS WILL ALLOW ENOUGH TIME FOR FAMILIES TO SEE THE MAJORITY OF THE TEACHERS? BECAUSE IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE -- I WONDER HOW TEACHERS SEE THE MAJORITY OF THEIR FAMILY IF THEY'RE ONLY ALLOTTED ONE FULL DAY AND PERHAPS A HALF DAY AFTER THAT.

SO DO YOU MIND ADDRESSING THE CONCERN ABOUT EVERY YEAR WE BRING UP AS A BOARD THAT THE PARENTS DON'T FEEL THEY HAVE BEEN GIVEN ENOUGH TIME TO SEE THE MAJORITY OF THEIR TEACHERS.

>> SURE AND DR. MANN MAY WANT TO COMMENT AS WELL.

BUT AGAIN IT'S ROUGHLY THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME.

INSTEAD OF HAVING TWO HALF DAYS WE HAVE ONE FULL DAY.

WE HAVE ACCOUNTED ON A TIME BASIS TO APPROXIMATE WHAT WE HAVE DONE IN THE PAST.

ANOTHER THING, WHILE WE WERE COGNIZANT OF THE NEED TO HAVE, YOU KNOW, TO HOLD THESE CONFERENCES AND BE AVAILABLE OR THE PARENTS, AND SO ON, AND SO FORTH, THAT IT'S VERY SCHOOL-SPECIFIC.

AND THERE'S AN EBB AND A FLOW TO GETTING THESE CONFERENCES COMPLETED.

SO SOMETIMES THERE'S A LOT TO DO IN THE MORNINGS VERSUS THE AFTERNOON VERSUS THE LATER PART OF THE EVENINGS.

AND SOMETIMES THESE CONFERENCES TAKE PLACE THROUGHOUT THE WEEK THAT THE CONFERENCES ARE SCHEDULED.

SO WE WANTED TO PROVIDE A DATE THAT SEEMED TO BE A BEST FIT, GIVEN SOME OF THE

[00:10:06]

VARIETY, AND OUT THERE IN THE FIELD, AND THAT'S WHAT THE COMMITTEE HAS RECOMMENDED.

>> GOT IT.

IF I MAY ADD, I THINK THAT'S MY CONCERN IS THAT IT IS THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME AND THE FEEDBACK WE'VE BEEN GIVEN EVERY YEAR IS THAT IS NOT ENOUGH TIME FOR PARENTS TO MEET WITH THE TEACHERS AND ON THE FLIP SIDE TEACHERS ARE SAYING IT IS NOT ENOUGH TIME TO MEET ALL THE FAMILIES.

TO POSE MY QUESTION A DIFFERENT WAY, I GUESS THAT'S MY NUMBER ONE CONCERN, IT'S THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME ALLOTTED, TWO HALF DAYS VERSUS ONE FULL DAY, AND AT THE LAST DISCUSSION OF THE CALENDAR WE HAD DISCUSSED AS A SYSTEM BOTH THE BOARD AND THE STAFF THAT WE WOULD LOOK FOR THE NEXT CALENDAR WITH THE EXPECTATION THAT THERE WOULD BE SOMETHING DIFFERENT IN TERMS OF LIKE MORE TIME ALOTTED FOR THOSE CONFERENCES GIVEN IT'S THE SAME EXACT FEEDBACK THAT'S BEING PROVIDED EVERY YEAR.

>> YEAH, I THINK I WOULD QUALIFY IT BY SAYING THAT THE AMOUNT OF TIME IS DIFFERENT IN THE SENSE THAT WE'RE PROVIDING TIME ALL DAY.

RIGHT? AS OPPOSED TO HAVING LET'S JUST SAY THE AFTERNOON, RIGHT, WHERE WE'RE ALLOWING TIME ALL DAY.

SO YOU COULD SAY 8 A.M.

UNTIL 8:30 P.M.

AT NIGHT FOR EXAMPLE.

SO THE ACCESSIBILITY FOR PARENTS TO HAVE THESE CONFERENCES HAS BEEN INCREASED IN THAT REGARD.

AND AGAIN, WE'RE ALSO RECOGNIZING THAT THE SCHOOLS HAVE THE ABILITY TO HOST CONFERENCES PRIOR TO THAT SPECIFIC DAY, OR EVEN A LITTLE BIT AFTER THAT DAY, TO ACCOMMODATE THE NEEDS OF THE FAMILIES.

SO AGAIN, WE THINK THAT WE HAVE MADE A RECOMMENDATION THAT PROVIDES, AGAIN, A BEST FIT TO ALLOW FOR FLEXIBILITY FOR THE SCHOOLS TO SCHEDULE THESE MEETINGS WITH THE FAMILIES.

>> GOT IT.

MUCH APPRECIATE IT.

IF I CAN ASK ONE MORE FOLLOW UP.

I KNOW THERE WAS SOME CONCERN FROM TEACHERS LAST YEAR THAT THEY FELT LIKE THEY WERE BEING ASKED TO BE IN SCHOOL AND THAT IT WAS MANDATED EVEN NOTICE IT WAS NOT PART OF THE TYPICAL ALLOTMENT OF TIME DURING THE WEEK.

IS THAT THE CASE AS WELL? THAT TEACHERS WOULD BE THERE UNTIL 8:30 P.M.

AT NIGHT? HOW IS THAT BEING ADDRESSED IN A STATISTIC PERSPECTIVE?

>> SO THAT IS THE EXPECTATION AND WE HAVEN'T SET THE EXACT TIME.

BUT WE'RE USING LIKE 7:30, EIGHT OWE SCHLOCK AT NIGHT.

THAT'S THE REASON WHY ON THE FRIDAY AFTER, YOU'LL SEE THE SQUIGGLY KIND OF LINES AND NOT HALF COMPLETE.

BECAUSE TEACHERS WILL ALSO GO HOME THAT DAY TOO, BECAUSE IT IS ALSO A HALF DAY FOR TEACHERS AS WELL.

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT DR. MANN CAN ELABORATE WITH, SHIFTING HOW WE INTERACT WITH OUR PARENTS AND HOW WE PROVIDE UPDATES.

SO FOR EXAMPLE, INSTEAD OF WAITING UNTIL WE HAVE A CONFERENCE TIME ALLOCATED, THAT WE'RE BEING A LITTLE MORE PROACTIVE IN REACHING OUT TO STUDENTS ON A NEED BASIS WHEN THERE ARE CONFLICTS AND ALSO ENCOURAGING TEACHERS, I'M SORRY, PARENTS TO DO THE SAME, SO THAT EVERYBODY IS NOT WAITING UNTIL THAT SPECIAL DAY TO ASK ALL THEIR QUESTIONS OR TO MEET WITH THEIR PARENTS.

AND THAT'S JUST A CULTURAL SHIFT THAT WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO REALLY WORK ON AND BE VERY INTENTIONAL ABOUT.

I KNOW THAT WAS A DISCUSSION THAT THE PRINCIPALS HAVE HAD RECENTLY, WHILE WE WERE DOING THIS PROCESS.

DR. MANN I DON'T KNOW IF YOU WANT TO ELABORATE A LITTLE MORE ON THAT.

>> THANK YOU, DR. HUTCHINGS.

MS. BE NOLAN, AS YOU'RE AWARE, WE'RE TRYING TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL TIME BUT ALSO CHANGE WHAT WE'RE DOING AND BY HAVING THIS CALENDAR BE APPROVED AHEAD OF TIME, THAT THE TEACHERS HAVE THAT EXPECTATION THAT THEY HAVE THAT FRIDAY OFF.

BUT WE RYE TO BLEND THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

KNOWING THAT PARENTS CAN SCHEDULE A TEAM MEETING OR ANY TIME THAT THEY WOULD LIKE WITH THEIR TEACHERS OR COUNSELOR.

BUT THIS GIVES US TIME TO GET PREPARED FOR A FULL DAY.

AND INTO THE EVENING.

AND AS WE THEN START TO WORK IN SOME DIFFERENT EXPECTATIONS.

BECAUSE AWE YOU'RE WELL AWARE WE HEAR THE CONCERNS THAT MY SON OR DAUGHTER DIDN'T GIVE ME THE SHEET UNTIL THE FINAL DAY.

THIS LETS THEM KNOW THEY CAN HAVE A PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCE AFTER WORK OR AFTER DINNER.

>> GOT IT, THANK YOU.

>> NEXT UP I HAVE MS. LORBER.

>> THANK YOU, MADAM CHAIR AND EVERYBODY ELSE.

I'M CHOMPING AT THE BIT HERE.

FIRST, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH MS. NOLAN AND BASED ON MY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE BOTH AS A PARENT AND THEN AS AN EMPLOYEE IN THE SYSTEM, I MEAN I REALLY LIKE WHAT

[00:15:03]

DR. HUTCHINGS SAID.

I THINK WE REALLY HAVE TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX ON THIS TOTALLY.

AND AS FAR AS APPROVING THE CALENDAR I THINK MAYBE YOU WANT TO CALL IT CONFERENCE WEEK AND TELL PEOPLE THEY CAN MIX IT UP ANY WAY THEY WANT AND MAKE THAT VERY CLEAR TO EVERYBODY.

BUT I THINK ON THE OTHER HAND, THERE IS NEVER -- THE CONFERENCES THEMSELVES ARE JUST TOO SHORT.

AND PARTICULARLY WHEN A FAMILY DOESN'T SPEAK DPLISH, THEY GET NOTHING DONE.

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT A STUDENT GETS A LOT OF F'S AND WE DON'T FIGURE THAT OUT AND THAT'S BECAUSE WE ARE NOT DOING WHAT DR. HUTCHINGS SUGGESTS, WHICH IS LET'S DO THESE OUTREACHES EARLY.

I THINK SOMEHOW WE DO HAVE TO HAVE A CULTURAL CHANGE ON HOW WE REACH OUT AND NOTIFY FAMILIES AND WORK WITH THE KIDS THEMSELVES, ABOUT MUCH, MUCH SOONER, WE DON'T WAIT FOR THE CONFERENCE.

SO I GUESS MY TWO POINTS WOULD BE, WE DO NEED TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.

I THINK WE ARE SENDING -- THERE'S A DANGER OF SENDING THE WRONG MESSAGE TO TEACHERS BY SAYING OH, YOU'VE GOT MORE TIME, YOU GET TO WORK 12 HOURS TODAY.

AND THESE ARE THESE SHORT CONFERENCES THAT REALLY ARE FRUSTRATING.

SO I ADVOCATE FOR SOMETHING LIKE A CONFERENCE WEEK, EITHER/OR IMPLEMENTING A NEW PLAN ABOUT HOW WE USE CONFERENCING WITH PARENTS IN A MORE FLEXIBLE MANNER.

I'M NOT SURE HOW WE DO IT BUT I THINK VERONICA IS ON TO SOMETHING, THERE IS DEFINITELY A PROBLEM HERE AND WE'VE BEEN FOLD BY THE TEACHERS.

>> I THINK OUR TEAM IS GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT, REALLY HAVE A PARADIGM SHIFT HOW WE MEET WITH OUR PARENTS.

ONE THING THAT I HEARD FROM SEVERAL PARENTS IS SOMETIMES THEY FEEL THEY DON'T GET INFORMATION ABOUT THEIR CHILD'S ACADEMICS UNTIL IT'S PARENT-TEACHER TIME.

WE'RE BEING A LITTLE MORE PROACTIVE SO A PARENT WILL FEEL LIKE I'VE HAD MY MOMENT, I'VE HAD MY OPPORTUNITY TO ENGAGE AND TALK ABOUT MY CHILD'S PARTICULAR SITUATION, PRIOR TO THE TIME YOU'RE TELLING ME WHAT MY CHILD'S GRADE IS.

SO THEN THEY DON'T -- PARENTS WON'T FEEL THE NEED TO HAVE TO DO A PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCE UNLESS THEY ARE STILL HAVING SOME CONCERNS THROUGHOUT THAT PARTICULAR PERIOD OF TIME.

SO I THINK ON OUR END WE'RE JUST GOING TO HAVE TO BE MORE PROACTIVE AND NOT JUST LOOKING FOR THAT SPECIAL DAY.

AND ONE OF THE THINGS I THINK IS IMPORTANT TO SAY AND I KNOW DR. WILKINS MENTIONED THIS BUT THE FULL DAY SCHEDULE WAS NOT NECESSARILY TO ACCOMMODATE THE TEACHERS, IT WAS REALLY TO ACCOMMODATE THE PARENTS.

BECAUSE, PARENTS FELT LIKE OUR CONFERENCES BEFORE HAD TO BE AFTER 12:00.

AND SOME PARENTS PREFERRED TO BE IN THE MORNING.

SO THIS IS KIND OF LIKE A WAY TO COMBINE THE TWO SO THAT IT'S NOT STILL THE SAME TIME PERIOD.

IT MIGHT STILL BE THE SAME TIME FRAME BUT IT IS NOT THE SAME TIME OF DAY.

AND THAT WAS THE WIN-WIN KIND OF FOR PARENTS AND TEACHERS.

IS WHAT DR. WILKINS WAS EXPLAINING EARLIER.

>> OKAY NEXT UP I SEE MS. GENTRY WITH A QUESTION.

>> I THINK JUST TO ADD TO WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID.

I MEAN I DO THINK THAT THIS QUESTION EVER THE PARENTS FEELING LIKE THEY HAVE WHAT THEY -- THE INFORMATION THAT THEY NEED, YOU KNOW, IS SOMETHING THAT IS ONLY GOING TO BE PARTIALLY SORT OF SOLVED BY WHAT WE VOTE ON FOR THE CALENDAR YEAR.

SO I THINK THE FULL DAY IS GREAT.

WE KNOW FOR EXAMPLE IF SUCCESS OF THE PRINCIPAL MORNING COFFEES.

IT'S KIND OF LIKE A WHOLE DIFFERENT SET OF PARENTS THAT MAYBE COULDN'T COME TO EVENING THINGS SO HAVING THAT FLEXIBILITY IS GREAT.

BUT AS OTHERS PREVIOUS TO ME HAVE SAID, IT IS NOT ALL GOING TO BE SOLVED JUST THROUGH THE CONFERENCE WINDOW.

WHETHER IT WAS THE OLD WAY OR THIS NEW SCHEDULE.

IT'S GOING TO BE MORE OF AN ONGOING RELATIONSHIP THAT'S HAPPENING THROUGHOUT THE YEAR.

MY QUESTION ACTUALLY WAS AT VARIOUS POINTS WHERE WE TALKED ABOUT THE CALENDAR WE'VE TALKED ABOUT THINKING ABOUT DAYS VERSUS HOURS.

AND AS I LOOK AT THIS, AND THIS IS REALLY A KIND OF A CLARIFICATION FOR ME I'M STILL SEEING IT REFERRED TO AS DAYS.

I JUST NEEDED A CONFIRMATION THAT ARE WE STYING THINKING ABOUT THINGS IN TEMPS OF DAYS RATHER THAN HOURS AND IT CERTAINLY SOUNDED LIKE THERE WAS SOME INTEREST AND SOME MAYBE POSSIBLY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THINKING IT IN TERMS OF HOURS.

SO IF IT IS DAYS I'D JUST LIKE TO HEAR THE STAFF'S THOUGHTS ON WHY WE DIDN'T GO WITH THAT APPROACH.

>> YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT DAYS VERSUS HOURS FOR JUST THE ACADEMIC YEAR RIGHT?

[00:20:05]

>> CORRECT.

THE WHOLE THING NOT JUST THE -- I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE CONFERENCES NOW, I'M JUST TALKING ABOUT HOW WE ACCOUNT FOR THE TIME.

>> I THINK MS. ABBRUZZESE CAN ALSO CHIME IN ON THIS.

WHEN WE WERE DOING SOME RESEARCH ON THAT OUR POLICY IS ALREADY IN PLACE TO BE DAYS OR HOURS, I BELIEVE.

SO IT'S NOT A CHANGE THAT HAS TO REALLY OCCUR.

I REMEMBER US HAVING THIS CONVERSATION CAN A FEW MONTHS AGO, NOT WITH THE BOARD.

THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING MS. ABBRUZZESE, IF -- IS SHE ON THE CALL?

>> I'M HERE YES DR. HUTCHINGS.

YOU ARE CORRECT, THE CURRENT POLICY DISCUSSES BOTH DAYS AND HOURS.

NO CHANGE WOULD BE NEEDED AT THE MOMENT.

>> SO IT GIVES US THE FLEXIBILITY IS THE POINT I'M TRYING TO MAKE FOR MS. GENTRY.

WE I BELIEVE NOW WE HAVE NOT NECESSARILY USED IT TO SAY HEY WE'RE GOING TO FULFILL THE HOURS VERSUS THE DAYS.

AND NOW RIGHT NOW WITH SOME OF THE UNCERTAINTIES THAT WE HAVE AS WE GO FORWARD, WE'VE BEEN USING 180 DAYS OR 990 HOURS HAS KIND OF LIKE BEEN OUR APPROACH RIGHT NOW.

AND AS WE GIT THROUGH WHAT YOU KNOW OUR NEW NORMAL OR NEW WAY OF DOING BUSINESS IS GOING TO BE, I THINK WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DIG A LITTLE DEEPER WITH THAT AND BE A LITTLE BIT MORE DEFINITIVE AND NOT LIKE AND/OR.

I THINK WE'LL HAVE MORE INFORMATION PROBABLY IN THE FUTURE ONCE WE START WORKING THROUGH.

>> THANK YOU.

IF I'M UNDERSTANDING, WE CAN VOTE NOW WHEN WE DO THE VOTE AND WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO GO BACK IF THERE WAS A SHIFT?

>> YES, WE WOULD NOT HAVE TO GO BACK BECAUSE IT IS ALREADY IN POLICY THAT WE CAN DO 180 DAYS OR 990 HOURS, SOMETHING LIKE THAT CASE.

AND I DON'T HAVE THE FULL -- MS. ABBRUZZESE WILL BE ABLE TO SHARE IT WITH US.

>> THANK YOU, DR. HUTCHINGS.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT THE RELEVANT SPOOLED IC/ID, SCHOOL YEAR SCHOOL DAY, CONTAINS A SENTENCE, THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL WILL BE AFTER LABOR DAY, BUT IT SAYS UNLESS THE VIRGINIA BOARD OF EDUCATION WAIVES THIS REQUIREMENT.

WHICH OF COURSE HAS HAPPENED.

>> GREAT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

>> THANK YOU.

I HAVE MS. NOLAN WITH A QUESTION.

>> YES, THANK YOU.

THANK YOU CHAIR ANDERSON.

MY QUESTION IS I WANTED TO GIVE DR. HUTCHINGS OR WHOEVER YOU THINK IS THE APPROPRIATE PERSON TO SHARE PUBLICLY WHAT WAS THE RATIONAL OR THE THINKING BEHIND MOVING THE START DATE.

AND THEN MY SECOND FOLLOW-UP QUESTION TO THAT IS, GIVEN THE UNCERTAINTY OVER THE NEXT FEW YEARS AND GIVEN THAT THERE WILL BE SIGNIFICANT TIMES POTENTIALLY, CONTINUED SIGNIFICANTLY TIME OUT OF THE CLASSROOM, I'M CURIOUS IF THERE'S BEEN ANY THOUGHT AS TO WHY THERE IS A NEED TO MOVE UP -- I UNDERSTAND MOVING THE START DATE BEFORE LABOR DAY BUT I'M JUST CURIOUS IF THERE'S BEEN ANY APPETITE TO CONSIDER LEAVING THE END DATE UNTIL LATE JUNE.

I KNOW THERE IS FINANCIAL IMPLICATIONS TO THAT AND OTHER, BUT I'M JUST CURIOUS AS IF THERE IS ANY CONVERSATION ABOUT THAT, GIVEN THE LOSS OF LEARNING THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN THIS YEAR AND THE FACT THAT THIS COULD BE A CONTINUED UNFORTUNATE SITUATION OVER THE NEXT SCHOOL YEAR.

AGAIN THE TWO QUESTIONS WERE NUMBER ONE I WOULD LOVE THE OPPORTUNITIES TO SHARE PUBLICLY THE RATIONALE ABOUT WHAT THE THOUGHT WAS ABOUT MOVING THE START DATE TO WHEN IT WAS.

AND THEN THE SECOND THOUGHT, IS HAD ANY CONSIDERATION OR THOUGHT ABOUT IN THE FUTURE, MOVING THE DATE BACK, SO THAT WE CONTINUE TO HAVE MORE IN-CLASS INSTRUCTION TIME.

PARTICULARLY GIVEN THE AMOUNT OF INSTRUCTION LOSS THAT WILL BE OCCURRING OVER THE NEXT YEAR POTENTIALLY TOO.

>> I'LL HAVE DR. MANN RESPOND TO THE FIRST PART OF THE QUESTION.

FOR THE SECOND PART OF THE QUESTION, ABSOLUTELY, WE'RE LOOKING AT POTENTIALLY HAVING A LOT OF DIFFERENT OPTIONS EVEN FOR THIS UPCOMING YEAR.

SO IT'S REALLY HARD FOR US TO DEFINITIVELY TELL YOU EXACTLY WHAT RIGHT NOW.

BUT WE ARE HAVING SOME DISCUSSIONS AROUND THE FACT THAT, YOU KNOW, THIS UPCOMING YEAR FORTUNATELY WE ARE NOT STARTING BEFORE LABOR DAY AND I THINK A LOT OF SCHOOL DIVISIONS WILL NOT BE STARTING BEFORE LABOR DAY IF THEY WERE PLANNING TO.

I THINK AS WE GET THROUGH THE FALL AND HOW WE START OFF THE YEAR WHAT SOME OF THE NEW GUIDELINES WILL BE MOVING FORWARD WE WILL BE REVISITING THE 2021-22 CALENDAR AGAIN AND IT MAY LOOK COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN WHAT WE HAVE PRESENTED AND HAVE A WHOLE DIFFERENT PURPOSE BECAUSE THAT HAPPEN THE INFORMATION WE RECEIVE.

THE FIRST PART OF THE QUESTION I'M GOING TO ASK DR. MANN TO JUST TALK THROUGH HOW WE GOT TO RECOMMENDING PRIOR TO LABOR DAY.

[00:25:02]

>> THANK YOU, DID YOU MEAN DR. MANN OR DR. WILKINS? JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE WE'RE ON THE SAME PAGE.

>> DR. MANN.

OR -- I MEAN IT'S EITHER ONE.

BOTH OF YOU SAY THE SAME THING FOR THE MOST PART.

I THINK -- I DON'T KNOW.

DR. MANN YOU WERE THERE SO YOU CAN IF YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE TALKING THROUGH THE PROCESS.

>> ON THE LABOR DAY START, I THINK IT WOULD BE DR. WILKINS.

I WAS MORE ON THE PARENT CONFERENCES SCHEDULE.

SORRY.

>> OKAY, IT'S ALL RIGHT.

DR. WILKINS.

>> I'LL CHIME IN JUST BRIEFLY, AND SAY THAT WE REVIEWED THE CALENDARS FOR OUR REGION.

AND AS WE ALL KNOW, MANY JURISDICTIONS HAVE A PRELABOR DAY START.

AND OUR CONCERN WAS TO ALIGN OUR CALENDAR WITH OUR REGIONAL PARTNERS IF YOU WILL OR NEIGHBORS IN ORDER TO BE MORE EFFICIENT AND EFFECTIVE WITH RESPECT TO A TIME AVAILABLE FOR OUR STUDENTS FROM A TESTING PERSPECTIVE.

AND SO OUR STUDENTS RECEIVED THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME AS A STUDENT IN A NEIGHBORING JURISDICTION.

WAS ONE OF THE PRIMARY FACTORS TO MAKE THIS ASSESSMENT.

SO WE WANTED TO ALIGN OURSELVES WITH, AGAIN, WHERE THE REGION IS GOING WITH RESPECT TO A PRELABOR DAY START.

BACK TO DR. HUTCHINGS POINT ABOUT BIG PICTURE.

WE'RE ASKING FOR THE BOARD'S APPROVAL ON JUST THIS POINTS, TO APPROVE A PRELABOR DAY START, KNOWING THAT PROBABLY LATER WE'LL HAVE TO ADJUST THE CALENDAR NOT ONLY FOR THE 2021-22 YEAR BUT POSSIBLY THIS YEAR AS WELL.

BUT WE CAN'T DO THAT AT THE MOMENT.

WE STILL OBVIOUSLY ARE STILL WORKING OUT A LOT OF ISSUES.

BUT BIG PICTURE WISE, WE DO RECOMMEND APPROVAL OF THE PRELABOR DAY START NOW FOR OPERATIONAL REASONS.

BOTH FROM AN ACADEMIC PERSPECTIVE WHICH AFFECTED TESTING BUT ALSO, REMEMBER THAT WE HAVE TO ALIGN THOSE OTHER ACTIONS, OUR RELATIONS WITH THE CITY, OUR CITY PROGRAMS SO ON SO FORTH, ALSO NEEDS TO KNOW WELL IN ADVANCE ABOUT THIS CHANGE IN CALENDAR SO WE CAN COORDINATE THOSE RESPECTIVE ACTIVITIES.

DR. HUTCHINGS.

>> I HAVE NO FURTHER COMMENTS.

I THINK YOU HANDLED IT, THANKS.

>> OKAY, I HAVE A QUESTION FROM DR. RIEF.

>> YES, I APPRECIATE JUST REVIEWING THE REASONS THAT YOU JUST WENT THROUGH DR. WILKINS ABOUT WHY WE ARE LOOKING ABOUT MAKING THIS SHIFT.

BECAUSE I KNOW WE RECEIVED AN E-MAIL FROM A CONSTITUENT RECENTLY WHO I DON'T THINK HAS BEEN A PART OF UNDERSTANDING AROUND THE KINGS DOMINION LAW AND HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED.

SO I JUST WANTED TO KIND OF PUT A PLUG IN FOR AS FUTURE COMMUNICATIONS GO OUT TO OANY BACKGROUND INFORMATION THAT CAN BE PROVIDED.

BECAUSE THERE MAY BE FAMILIES WHO ARE GETTING THESE COMMUNICATIONS WHO HAVE NOT BEEN A FARTHER OF PREVIOUS DISCUSSES.

THAT'S REALLY HELPFUL.

I WANTED TO ASK ABOUT HOW A PRELABOR DAY START WILL AFFECT THE MODIFIED CALENDAR AT TUCKER IF AT ALL, IF IT HAS ANY IMPACT ON THE MODIFIED CALENDAR, CERTAINLY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE FUTURE IS KIND OF UNCERTAIN WITH REGARD TO CALENDARS GENERALLY BUT IF YOU COULD SPEAK ABOUT THAT I WOULD APPRECIATE HEARING THAT.

>> WHAT I CAN SAY WITH RESPECT TO THE MODIFIED CALENDAR AND PARTICULARLY SAMUEL TUCKER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, THE MODIFIED CALENDAR REFLECTION HOW THE SCHOOL OPERATES, NO CHANGE THERE.

I THINK FROM AN IMMEDIATE SENSE, AND WITH REGARDS TO DOES SAMUEL TUCKER OPEN, YOU KNOW, IN AUGUST, LET'S SAY? I THINK THAT'S STILL A QUESTION THAT'S TO BE DETERMINED AND IT GETS BACK TO DR. HUTCHINGS POINT WE HAVE TO SEE HOW THIS COVID SITUATION PLAY PLAYS OUT IN THE WEEKS AHEAD TO KIND OF MAKE THAT DECISION.

BECAUSE IF TUCKER COULD EITHER BE A MODEL FOR US AS FAR AS HOW DO YOU DO THIS, OR TUCKER COULD CAN O,YOU KNOW, OPEN WITH THE REST OF THE DIVISION.

BUT IT'S A DECISION THAT WE JUST CAN'T MAKE AT THIS PARTICULAR TIME.

>> OKAY, I DON'T SEE ANYBODY ELSE WITH THEIR HAND RAISED.

IF YOU ARE -- IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION AND ARE HAVING TROUBLE RAISING YOUR HAND YOU CAN WAVE IN YOUR FRAME.

I DON'T SEE THAT.

THIS WILL BE COMING BACK TO US I DON'T THINK NEXT WEEK BUT THE WEEK AFTER.

SO THERE IS TIME TO ASK FOLLOW-UP QUESTION YOU KNOW IF THEY COME UP THROUGH

[00:30:04]

E-MAIL, YOU KNOW BEFORE THAT TIME.

[Item 10]

OUR NEXT ITEM IS THE LOCALLY AWARDED VERIFIED CREDIT POLICY CHANGES THAT ARE PROPOSED.

AND SO I'M GOING TO TURN IT OVER TO OUR POLICY PERSON, MS. ABBRUZZESE.

>> THANK YOU CHAIR ANDERSON.

WE HAVE A POLICY CHANGE TO BRING TO YOU TODAY FOR INFORMATION WHICH WILL BE UP FOR APPROVAL AT A FUTURE MEETING.

THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO THE CANCELLATION OF SO ALREADY'S OR MAYBE THE MORE CORRECT WAY TO SAY IT IS THE WAIVER OF THE SO ALREADY REQUIREMENT FOR THIS YEAR.

BECAUSE THOSE ARE SUCH IS A INTEGRAL PART, IT NEEDS TO CHANGE FOR THIS YEAR.

I'M GOING TO PASS IT OVER TO DR. MANN TO GO INTO DETAIL AND I'M GOING TO SHARE MY SCREEN AND SCROLL THROUGH THESE DOCUMENTS.

THE FIRST ONE I'M GOING TO BRING UP IS THE USUAL WAY THAT VERIFIED CREDITS ARE AWARDED.

>> THANK YOU MS. ABBRUZZESE AND AGAIN GOOD AFTERNOON EVERYONE.

AS MS. ABBRUZZESE JUST STATED, OUR BRINGING FORWARD THIS ADJUSTMENT TO OUR POLICY AND REGULATION IN RESPONSE TO THE PANDEMIC AND ACTION BY THE VIRGINIA BOARD OF EDUCATION AND THE GOVERNOR.

JUST AS A REFRESHER FOR THE BOARD, THIS IS A MATTER THAT USUALLY HAPPENS AT THE BOARD ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS.

I USUALLY SIT ON THIS WITH TC WILLIAMS DIRECTOR SCHOOL COUNSELING.

AND WE GO THROUGH THE PROCESS TO AWARD TO STUDENTS WHO NEED THESE CREDITS TO GRADUATE, THEY HAVE MET SPECIFIC CRITERIA, THEY HAVE TAKEN AS WELL SEVERAL TIMES AND THEY HAVE A SCORE BETWEEN 375 BUT THEY HAVEN'T PASSED.

AND BECAUSE OF THE WAIVER AND SUSPENSION OF SOL TESTING WE ARE COMING BACK TO THE BOARD AT THE REQUEST OF THE VIRGINIA BOARD OF EDUCATION, TO CREATE SCHOOL LEVEL PANELS.

AND THE SCHOOL LEVEL PACKAGES WILL GO THROUGH THE SAME PROCESS BUT THEY WILL DO THIS BY COURSE.

AND KEEP IN MIND THAT WE'RE REFERRING TO YOU ARE SCHOOLS AT A OFFER HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT BEARING COURSES, WITH SO LFERLT'S.

TC AS I MENTIONED IS USED TO THIS PROCESS BUT OUR MIDDLE SCHOOLS, THIS WILL BE NEW AND THE NEW PANEL WILL CONSIST OF AN ADMINISTRATOR, EITHER THE PRINCIPAL DESIGNEE, THE DIRECTOR OF SCHOOL COUNSELING OR AN ASSISTANT SCHOOL PRINCIPAL FOR PATRICK JEFFERSON, HOUSTON, AND SOMEONE FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF ACCOUNTABILITY, A COUNSELOR, FOR SPECIALIZED INSTRUCTION, OR DEPARTMENT CHAIR FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNINGERS.

AND THEN AT LEAST THREE CONTENT TEACHERS.

AND THEY WILL BE DOING THIS BY COURSE.

AND WE WENT OVER OUR GRADING POLICY, I THINK THAT WAS IN APRIL.

WE WILL BE BASING THIS OFF OF A STUDENT'S FINAL GRADE AND IF THE STUDENT HAS A PASSING GRADE THEY CAN BE WRAWRDED A LOCALLY AWARDED VERIFIED CREDIT.

THE PANELS WILL REVIEW THE GRADES AND ANY INFORMATION.

THEY WILL HAVE 74 ACTIONS THAT THEY CAN TAKE.

THEY WILLING AWARD VERIFIED CREDIT, DENY VERIFIED QUESTIONED, THEY CAN SUGGEST SUGGESTED TESTING, PRIOR TO DETERMINING WHETHER TO AWARD THIS CREDIT.

AND MS. ABBRUZZESE OPENED THIS UP WITH, THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE THEY NEED VERIFIED CREDITS TO GRADUATE FROM HIGH SCHOOL.

AGAIN IF MAJOR CHANGE IS WE WILL BE EXPANDING TO SCHOOL LEVEL PANELS AND WE'VE REVIEWED THIS INFORMATION WITH OUR MIDDLE SCHOOL PRINCIPALS AND MR. BALLAS AND HIS TEAM.

I'D LIKE TO THANK MS. RUNKLE, DARRYL SAMSON, MS. ABBRUZZESE, AND ALL THE TEAMS WITH FOR MAKING ADJUSTMENTS TO THEIR POLICY.

THIS WILL ONLY BE IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS YEAR AND IF THE STATE OF EMERGENCY CONTINUES DURING OUR TRADITIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL PERIOD WE WOULD THEN ALSO COME BACK TO THE BOARD AND EXPAND THIS TO BE ABLE TO CAPTURE STUDENTS WHO ARE TAKING CREDIT RECOVERY COURSES DURING THE SUMMER.

AND I WILL TURN IT BACK OVER TO MS. ABBRUZZESE.

IF I'VE MISSED ANYTHING.

AND THEN BACK TO MR. HUTCHINGS.

>> THANK YOU, DR. MANN.

[00:35:01]

I THINK WE'RE NOW READY FOR ANY QUESTIONS FROM THE BOARD.

>> OKAY, I SEE MR. SUAREZ HAS HIS HAND UP.

>> YES, THANK YOU CHAIR ANDERSON AND THANK YOU FOR THE REVISIONS OF THE POLICY AT ALL MAKE SENSE.

I ALWAYS THINK OF CORNER CASES SO I'M TRYING TO SORT OF UNDERSTAND HOW THIS POLICY WOULD OPERATE FOR A STUDENT WHO PERHAPS SCORED LESS THAN A 375 ON AN SOL OR MAYBE DIDN'T TAKE AN SOL, BECAUSE THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN THE FIRST TIME THEY COULD HAVE TAKEN IT PERHAPS.

AND HOW THIS POLICY IS GOING TO ACCOUNT FOR IT.

I THINK FOR THE LOCALLY AWARDED VERIFIED CREDIT YOU HAD TO HAVE TAKEN AN SOL AND HIT 375 AND FOR A LOAMLY VERIFIED CREDIT YOU HAD TO HAVE TAKEN THE TEST, BEEN BELOW 375 AND BEEN A STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES.

SO I'M JUST WONDERING IF THERE ARE GOING TO BE ANY SITUATIONS WHERE A STUDENT MAYBE WAS TAKING A COURSE THIS YEAR, WAS ON TRACK, BUT DIDN'T TAKE AN SO ALREADY SO THEREFORE BECAUSE OUR POLICY DOESN'T COVER FOR THAT SNOIR YOW ISN'T GOING TO GRADUATE.

I ANT OTO MAKE SURE THAT OUR POLICY IS ACCOUNTING FOR ALL POSSIBILITIES AND SINCE THERE IS STILL SOME OF THE RIGID SO LFERL-RELATED REQUIREMENTS IN THIS POLICY, I'M A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THAT.

SO I'M JUST KINDS OF CURIOUS WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS ARE.

>> SURE, THANK YOU.

THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.

I'M GOING TO PASS TO MR. SAMSON OUR DIRECTOR OF CANGS LING TO ANSWER THAT IN DETAIL.

>> SURE, A COUPLE OF THINGS.

SO FAR OUR CURRENT SENIORS, BASICALLY OUR CLASS OF 2020, THEY HAVE DIFFERENT EMERGENCY GUIDELINES FROM THE VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION WHICH BASICALLY WAIVES ANY VERIFIED, OUTSTANDING VERIFIED CREDIT REQUIREMENTS FOR THAT.

SO THOSE STUDENTS, IF THEY STILL HAVE ANY VERIFIED CREDIT REQUIREMENTS, INDUSTRY CREDENTIALING REQUIREMENTS, THEY ARE WAIVED.

IF THEY'RE GRADUATING.

THIS POLICY, SO THE LEVC POLICY IS APPLICABLE AT THIS POINT FOR OUR UNDERCLASSMEN WHO ARE CURRENTLY SIT BEING IN S-HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT BEARING SOL CREDIT COURSES AND BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO TEST THIS YEAR.

NONE OF THESE STUDENTS WILL HAVE BEEN ABLE TO TEST.

SO WHAT THE STATE HAS SAID IS BECAUSE THEY CANNOT TEST WE HAVE TO TAKE AWAY THEIR REQUIREMENT THAT THEY HAVE SAT FOR AN EXAM OR TWO AT THIS POINT AND THEREFORE, WE ARE GOING TO MAKE DECISIONS OR THE LOCAL DIVISIONS HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE DECISIONS BASED UPON THE CONTENT THAT WAS TAUGHT AND THEN THE GRADES THAT THOSE STUDENTS EARNED IN THOSE CLASSES.

AND THEN WE LOCALLY CAN DETERMINE COURSE BY COURSE IF A STUDENT HAS MET THEIR REQUIREMENTS THE GET A LOCALLY AWARDED VERIFIED CREDIT WHICH WILL THEN COUNT TOWARDS THEIR VERIFIED CREDIT REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION.

>> MR. SAMPSON YOU MAY WANT TO LEAP A BIT ON THE FACT THAT WITH THE NEW GRADING POLICY THAT WE ADOPTED THAT HELPS A LOT OF OUR STUDENTS.

THAT WAS THE PURPOSE IN US HAVING THAT EITHER A PASSING OR NO GRADE POLICY.

IF THEY GET A PASSING GRADE MEAN THEY GET 60% OF THEIR WORK, THAT IT IS A PASSING GRADE AND EVERYONE WOULD GET CREDIT IMPACT.

EVEN IF YOU GET F'S THE FIRST THREE QUARTERS.

>> SURE.

SO WITH THE GRADING POLICY STUDENTS ARE ABLE TO THEN HAVE A PRETTY FAIR CHANCE OF EARNING A PASSING GRADE.

AND THEN WE AS A SCHOOL DIVISION CAN LOOK AT THE CONTENT TAUGHT IN THOSE PASSING GRADES AND DETERMINE IF WE FEEL THOSE STUDENTS SHOULD GET A LOCALLY AWARDED VERIFIED CREDIT.

YOU MENTIONED STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES.

IT'S FOR ANY STUDENT THAT IS CURRENTLY IN THE COURSE REGARDLESS WHETHER THEY ARE A GENERAL EDUCATION STUDENT OR A STUDENT WITH DISABILITY.

SO ALL OF OUR STUDENTS WILL HAVE THAT SAME RESPONSIBILITY WHO ARE CURRENTLY SITTING IN THESE SOL COURSES, WITHOUT HAVING TO LOOK AT THE VERIFIED CREDIT ACCOMMODATIONS.

>> OKAY, I HAVE A QUESTION FROM -- YES.

>> I'M SORRY CHAIR ANDERSON.

NOT MEIN TO BREAK IN.

>> I'M SORRY TO CUT YOU OFF THERE MS. ABBRUZZESE.

>> I JUST NOTICED THAT I THINK MS. TERRI WERNER WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO MR. SAMPSON'S RESPONSE.

>> I DIDN'T SEE THAT.

>> I ACTUALLY WAS JUST GOING TO BE READY IF ANYBODY HAD A FOLLOW-UP.

HE COVERED EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS I WOULD HAVE SAID IT.

[00:40:02]

THANK YOU.

>> MY APOLOGIES.

>> NO, I'M FINE.

>> MOVE ON TO DR. RIEF HAS A QUESTION.

>> THANK YOU FOR YOUR EXPLANATION OF THIS CHANGE IN POLICY.

I HAD TWO QUESTIONS, ONE I NOTICED IN YOUR MEMO THAT ACCOMPANIED THE DOCUMENTS, YOU SAID THAT THE PROPOSAL IS CONTINUING TO BE SHARED WITH STAFF AND ADMINISTRATORS FOR FEEDBACK AND I WAS REALLY INTERESTED IN HEARING WHAT KIND OF FEEDBACK YOU'VE RECEIVED FROM TEACHERS.

BECAUSE ONE THING THAT IS INTERESTING ABOUT THIS POLICY IS YOU ARE AWARDING IT ON A CLASS BASIS VERSUS AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS SO IF YOU COULD TALK ABOUT THAT.

AND THEN MY SECOND QUESTION WAS, I BELIEVE THAT LAST YEAR THERE WAS A NEW POLICY THAT STUDENTS, YOU KNOW, WOULD ONLY TAKE IN HIGH SCHOOL AN SOL ONE TIME IN THE SUBJECT AREA.

AND IF THEY PASSED IT THEY WERE NOT GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE THE SOL IN FUTURE YEARS.

AND THIS, YOU KNOW, THIS FACTORS INTO THE ACCOUNTABILITY SYSTEM.

AND SO I WAS JUST WONDERING, WILL THESE LOCALLY AWARDED VERIFIED CREDITS, WILL THOSE SUBSTITUTE THEN? AND SO THEREFORE STUDENTS MAY NOT HAVE TO TAKE SOL'S IN THE FUTURE IN THOSE SUBJECT AREAS.

SO IF YOU COULD SPEAK TO THOSE TWO QUESTIONS.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

AND I AM GOING TO PASS TO MR. SAMPSON AGAIN BECAUSE I KNOW HE'S BEEN AT THE FOREFRONT OF OUTREACH TO THE STAFF.

>> SURE.

WE'VE SPENT QUITE A BIT OF TIME WORK BEING WITH OUR PRINCIPALS AND OUR DROARKTSD OF COUNSELING IN THE PAST.

I THINK WE'RE TRYING TO AS DR. HUTCHINGS SAYS PRETTY REGULARLY WE'RE IN UNPRECEDENTED TIMES.

AND I THINK WE'RE CHALLENGED BY THE FACT THAT NONE OF OUR STUDENTS HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY RIGHT NOW TO DEMONSTRATE WHETHER OR NOT THEY COULD PASS AN SOL.

YOU KNOW, WE CAN'T -- WE MAY HAVE STUDENTS WHO ARE STRUGGLING GRADE-WISE BUT WHO COULD EASILY PASS THE SOL AND WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAKE SURE WHEN WE LOOK AT THESE ON A COURSE BY COURSE BASIS WE ARE REALLY LOOKING AT WHETHER A STUDENTS HAS EARNED A PASSING GRADE AND THEY HAVE BEEN PROVIDED INSTRUCTION IN ALL THE CONTENT STANDARDS, IT IS FOR ALL PURPOSES AT THIS POINT THEY CAN'T TEST AND WERE IN A PRETTY UNIQUE SITUATION, YOU KNOW WE NEED TO LOOK AT THAT AND THINK ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT WE FEEL THAT THEY'VE MASTERED ENOUGH OF THE STANDARDS TO EARN THAT LAVC.

IN TERMS OF -- I'M SORRY REMIND ME OF YOUR SECOND QUESTION.

>> YES, IT WAS A -- REGARDING, YOU KNOW, THERE WAS LIKE A NEW POLICY THAT WENT INTO EFFECT LAST YEAR I BELIEVE.

>> OH YES, THE UPDATED SOA.

WHAT THE STATE HAS SAID THAT THESE LOCALLY AWARDED VERIFIED CREDITS WILL COUNT FOR STUDENTS AS MEETING THAT VERIFIED CREDIT REQUIREMENT.

THEY WON'T -- SOME OF THEM WILL ALSO MEET FEDERAL ACCOUNTABILITY REQUIREMENTS, THAT'S ALSO THERE.

SO IF FOR SOME REASON A STUDENT THEN EARNS A MATH VERIFIED CREDIT THIS YEAR AT THE MIDDLE SCHOOL OR HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL, THAT WILL COUNT MOVING FORWARD AND THEY WON'T HAVE TO GO BACK AND TAKE ANOTHER ONE NEXT YEAR AND IT WON'T COUNT AGAINST -- THERE'S SOME TOTAL COUNTS THAT YOU'RE ALLOWED TO HAVE BASED ON THE REGULATIONS, IN TERMS OF THE NUMBER OF LAVC'S, THEY WON'T COUNT AGAINST THOSE.

SO THE STATE IS TRYING TO BE VERY FLEXIBLE WITH KIDS GIVEN THE CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES.

>> OKAY, I DON'T SEE ANYTHING ELSE, ANYBODY ELSE RAISING THEIR HAND FOR A QUESTION ON THAT SO THAT WILL COME BACK TO US AGAIN LATER, AS MS. ABBRUZZESE SAID.

AND WE WILL MOVE ON NOW TO THE DR. HUTCHINGS REPORT AND THEN QUESTION-AND-ANSWER.

AND I JUST WANT TO SAY TODAY'S QUESTIONS, WE'RE GOING TO HAVE NEXT WEEK, IS

[Items 11 & 12]

GOING TO BE OUR BUDGET WORK SESSION.

SO TODAY'S QUESTIONS BECAUSE WE'RE RUNNING -- GOING TO BE RUNNING SHORT ON TIME WOULD BE GOOD TO HAVE NONBUDGET RELATED QUESTIONS.

DR. HUTCHINGS.

>> THANK YOU, MADAM CHAIR.

FIRST I HAVE A COUPLE OF UPDATES, ONE IS WE HAD AN ARTICLE IN ED TRUST THAT WAS ABOUT OUR DISTANCE LEARNING DURING COVID-19.

IT WAS PUBLISHED ON WEDNESDAY.

AND IT SHOWCASED GW AND IS ALEXANDRIA PUBLIC SCHOOLS AS A WHOLE.

SO I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT.

I'LL FORWARD THAT ON TO YOU TODAY.

YOU CAN TAKE A LOOK AT THAT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT ALREADY BECAUSE IT IS A REALLY GOOD ARTICLE THAT CAPTURES SOME OF THE INVOCATION THAT OUR TEAM IS DOING DURING THIS PANDEMIC.

SO GREAT ACKNOWLEDGMENT.

[00:45:01]

GREAT FEEDBACK AND HIGHLIGHTS OUT THERE.

ANOTHER THING I WOULD JUST LIKE TO TALK ABOUT, THIS IS KIND OF PREFACE TO OUR BUDGE WORK SESSION FOR NEXT WEEK.

BECAUSE AS YOU ALL GET E-MAILS, I RECEIVE E-MAILS AS WELL, AND THIS WEEK WE WERE TRYING TO MAKE SURE THAT WE ARE COMMUNICATING OUTS WITH OUR STAFF JUST SO THEY'RE CLEAR AROUND WHAT THE REVISED BUDGET REDUCTIONS ARE AS WELL AS SOME OF THE REASONING BEHIND THE REDUCTION ITEMS THAT WE HAVE PUT INTO THE REVISED BUDGET.

ON MONDAY WE HAD ENFORCING IN THE INSIDER, TUESDAY WE PUT INFORMATION ON THE BUDGET.

TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY WE WERE ABLE TO PROVIDE JUST SOME INFORMATION AND I SPECIFICALLY ACTUALLY ANSWERED ALL THE QUESTIONS FROM THE BOARD MEMBERS, SLIEST SOME OF THE QUESTIONS THAT STAFF MEMBERS HAD ON THE VIDEO YESTERDAY TOO TO OUR COMMUNITY.

ONE OF THE THINGS I JUST WANTED TO RESURFACE AND PUS ON THE RECORD FOR US AS A WHOLE AND ONE THING IS THAT AS YOU ALL KNOW WE ARE IN THIS PANDEMIC.

IT IS UNPRECEDENTED, IT IS, YOU KNOW, IMPACTING EVERYBODY'S LIFE.

YOU KNOW, AT THIS NOAMENT.

AAND EVERYBODY IS DEALING WITH THIS IN A LOT OF DIFFERENT WAYS.

AND I JUST HOE THAT EVERYBODY IS AWARE, THIS IS NOT ATTEMPT TO CREATE DISCORD IN ANY OF OUR COMMUNITIES.

THE ONLY WAY WE ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET THROUGH THIS PANDEMIC IS BY US WORKING TOGETHER AS A TEAM AND US HAVING UNITY.

WE'RE ALL BEING FORCED TO MAKE SOME VERY TOUGH DECISIONS, NOT JUST IN ALEXANDRIA PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL DISTRICT IS HAVING TROUBLE REVISING THEIR BUDGETS AND PEOPLE ARE HAVING TO MAKE MORE DECISIONS AND TOUGHER DECISIONS THAN WE ARE BEING FACED WITH.

I JUST THINK IT'S IMPORTANT FOR US TO NOT ALLOW THIS PROCESS TO BE MORE OF AN US AND THEM TYPE DEAL.

YOU KNOW? I THINK THAT THIS NEEDS TO BE A SITUATION WHERE WE'RE DOING WHAT'S BEST FOR OALEXANDER CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS AS A WHOLE.

THAT NOT PINPOINT OING SPECIFIC EMPLOYMENT GROUPS.

SAYING THIS AND THIS.

IF WE GO DOWN THAT PATH IT IS GOING TO BE A PATH OF DESTRUCTION I REALLY BRIEF THAT.

WHAT WE'RE TRYING TO DO TO MOVE FORWARD AND MAKE DECISIONS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF OUR STUDENTS, I THINK IT CAN BE IN VEIN IF WE GO DOWN THAT PATH.

SO NOT THAT WE CAN'T HAVE DISCUSSIONS AND NOT THAT WE CAN'T HAVE DISAGREEMENTS.

WHEN YOU ARE DEALING WITH THE BUDGET UNFORTUNATELY, IT IS A NO-WIN SITUATION.

YOU'RE NEVER GOING TO HAVE 100% OF ANYBODY EXCITED ABOUT ANY BUDGET WHETHER IT'S DURING A PANDEMIC OR NOT.

THAT'S WHY THAT'S THE TOUGHEST DECISIONS THAT YOU AS A BOARD HAVE TO MAKE.

I ALSO WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT WITH OUR REVISED BUDGET, WE ARE NOT RECOMMENDING THAT ANYBODY'S SALARY BE REDUCED.

TAKE HOME PAY, SALARY, TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

WE MAKE IT CLEAR NOBODY'S SALARY IS BEING CUT, NOBODY IS BEING FORCED TO REDUCE THEIR SALARY, THIS YEAR IT WAS THIS AMOUNT AND NEXT YEAR IT'S GOING TO BE ANOTHER AMOUNT.

WHAT WE DO KNOW IS SOME OF OUR STAFF MEMBERS TAKE HOME PAY MAY BE IMPACTED AND MAY BE IMPACTED FOR A LOT OF DIFFERENT WAYS AND DIFFERENT REASONS AND EVERY SITUATION THAT AN EMPLOYEE HAS IS GOING TO BE ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS AND IT IS GOING TO BE DIFFICULT FOR US TO MAKE ONE DECISION THAT IS GOING TO BE GOOD FOR ALL.

SO EVERYBODY HAS A DIFFERENT SITUATION.

I THINK WHAT WE'RE GOING DO HAVE TO DO ON OUR END IS MAKE SURE WE'RE PROVIDING THE NECESSARY SUPPORTS FOR OUR EMPLOYEES TO TALK THROUGH THEIR FINANCIAL PLANNING.

WE DO HAVE EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS THAT ACTUALLY PROVIDES FREE PLANNING FOR ALL OF OUR STAFF MEMBERS.

TALKING THROUGH THE HEALTH BENEFITS OPTIONS THAT WE DO HAVE FOR OUR STAFF MEMBERS.

HELPING THEM UNDERSTAND OUR HEALTH BENEFITS IN THE 80-20 SPLIT THAT WE CURRENTLY HAVE THAT THAT IS A PLATINUM PLUS HEALTH BENEFITS THAT WE OFFER.

EVEN WITH THE HEALTH PREMIUMS RISING RIGHT NOW.

THAT IS SIGNIFICANT FOR US, BUT JUST HELPING THEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT.

AND JUST HELPING US ALL TO RECOVERY YESTERDAY, WHEN I SENT MY UPDATE TO YOU I SAID THANK YOU FOR MY PAYCHECK, RIGHT, TO BE ABLE TO DO WHAT WE WANT TO DO IN OUR

[00:50:06]

HOUSEHOLD FOR OUR KIDS.

YOU KNOW, AT THE TIMES LIKE THIS WHEN I KNOW THAT THERE ARE 20 AND A HALF MILLION JOBS THAT HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED IN THE PAST TWO MONTHS AND OUR UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IS AT 20.5% I'M THANKFUL AND GRATEFUL TO BE EMPLOYED.

NOT TO SAY I CAN'T HAVE A VOICE AND CAN'T SPEAK UP BECAUSE WE CAN.

BUT WE HAVE THROUGHOUT THIS PROCESS MADE SURE AND THIS IS SOMETHING I'M VERY INTENTIONAL ABOUT AND I HAVE ADAMANT ABOUT IS MAKING SURE THAT WE ARE NOT -- MAKING SURE THAT WE ENCOURAGE THEM TO DO SELF CARE, MAKING SURE THAT WE ASK THEM TO HAVE SOME WORK-LIFE BALANCE.

SOME PEOPLE AREN'T FOLLOWING THE RULES.

I JUST TALKED TO THE PRINCIPALS AND THE DIRECTORS TODAY, IF YOU ALL ARE WORKING OVER THE WEEKEND STOP.

THERE IS ENOUGH TIME TO GET SOME WORK DONE.

TAKE TWO DAYS OFF.

YOU CONSTANT KEEP WORKING THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND NIGHT.

THIS PANDEMIC IS BRINGING ADDITIONAL STRESSORS THAT A TYPICAL WORKDAY SEEMS LIKE 80 HOURS A WEEK NOW.

BECAUSE YOU HAVE ALL THE OTHER STRESSORS.

KIDS, YOUR WIFE, I TOLD YOU LAST NIGHT I'M TIRED OF COOKING, RIGHT? I HAVEN'T COOCTD THIS MUCH IN A LONG LONG TIME AND I'M GOING TO STOP COOKING ONCE THESE RESTAURANTS OPEN BACK UP, I REALLY AM.

BUT ANOTHER THING I JUST WANTED TO POINT OUT, I'M LONG WINDED TODAY, I JUST WANTED TO GET THIS OFF MY CHEST.

WHEN I HAVE MY MORNINGS TO DO LIKE MY DEVOTION AND MY REFLECTIONS THAT I WROTE ON THIS STUFF, BUT ANOTHER THING IS THAT EVEN WITH ALL THESE MODIFIED SCHEDULES THAT WE ARE STILL PROVIDING FULL SALARIES AND FULL BENEFITS TO OUR STAFF.

I THINK THAT'S BEEN LOST.

THIS IS HUGE.

PEOPLE ARE STILL RECEIVING THEIR CHECKS, STILL RECEIVING HEALTH BENEFITS FOR THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES AND WE'RE ADAMANT IN MAKING SURE THAT THIS CONTINUES TO HAPPEN.

THROUGH ALL THIS I DON'T WANT US TO LOSE THAT WE HAVE SERVED OVER 200,000 MEALS TO OUR STUDENTS OVER THE PAST TWO MONTHS.

WE HAVE DELIVERED CHROMEBOOKS TO HOMES, LEARNING PACKETS, LEARN KITS, SO PEOPLE CAN HAVE ONLINE SERVICES.

OUR CENTRAL OFFICE IS LITERALLY WORKING AROUND THE CLOCK AND YOU ALL ARE GOING TO STOP WORKING ON THE WEEKENDS.

YOU HEAR ME SAYING IT TO THE BOARD TOO, STOP WORKINGS ON THE WEEKENDS.

THEY'RE WORKING AROUND THE CLOCK TO MAKE SURE THE VISION REMAINS AFLOAT THAT'S BECAUSE WE'RE NOT IN THE NEWS IN A NEGATIVE WAY.

EVERYBODY KEEPS WORKING, IN CENTRAL OFFICE CENTRAL STAFF TO ENSURE THAT THAT CONTINUES TO HAPPEN.

OUR PRINCIPALS ARE SUPPORTING OUR STAFF AND OUR FAMILIES TO ENSURE THAT THEY ARE STILL CONNECTED TO OUR SCHOOLS EVEN THOUGH OUR SCHOOL DOORS ARE CLOSED.

OUR TRANSPORTATION WORKERS ARE DELIVERING MEALS TO SITES, AND DELIVERING RESOURCES SO THAT OUR FOOD DISTRIBUTION STATIONS CAN CONTINUE TO FUNCTION AS NORMAL.

OUR SECURITY STAFF, THEY'RE TAKING TEMPERATURES OF INDIVIDUALS SO WE CAN MAKE SURE OUR BUILDINGS ARE HEALTHY AND SAFE.

OUR CUSTODIANS ARE CONTINUING TO CLEAN OUR BUILDINGS TO MAKE SURE THEY'RE DISINFECTED TO MAKE SURE WHENEVER THEY'RE OPEN FOR THE KIDS, OUR FACE STAFF, REACHING OUT TO FAMILIES AND STUDENTS TO MAKE SURE THEIR SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL NEEDS ARE BEING MET ON A DALG BASED.

EVERY DAY FROM 8 TO 3:00, OUR SST IS AVAILABLE FOR OUR STUDENTS AND FACULTY MEMBERS AND OUR FAMILIES, OUR TECHNOLOGY TEAM IS MANAGING OUR TECHNOLOGY, OUR ACCOUNTANT OFFICE THEY HAVE DEVELOPED A PROGRESS MONITORING TOOL DURING THIS PANDEMIC SO WE CAN MONITOR OUR PROGRESS AND MAKE REVISIONS AS WE GO ALONG SO WE CAN GET IT RIGHT OFTEN BEHALF OF OUR KIDS AND STILL KEEPING A MOMENTUM OF THE STRATEGIC PLAN GOING ON AROUND HERE.

OUR COMMUNICATIONS TEAM, TIRELESSLY WORKING EVERY SINGLE DAY, EVERY SINGLE HOUR RIGHT TO MAKE NEW AACPS AT HOME IS UPDATED, INSIDER IS GIVEN, THE EXPRESS CAN GIVEN, MY INDIVIDUAL YOASES ARE POSTED, WE ARE RESPONDING TO ALL THE FEEDBACK OUR PARENTS ARE GIVING US.

HR IS STILL DOING INTERVIEWS, INTERVIEW PANELS THROUGH ZOOM, MAKING SURE WE ARE ANSWERING OUR STAFF AS THEY ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT HR.

OUR C AND I TEAM ARE LITERALLY CHURNING THESE PACKETS EVERY WEEK RETURNING THEM TO OUR YOUNGEST LEARNERS AT HOME.

MAKING SURE EVERYTHING IS ON LINE WITH OUR VIRGINIA STANDARDS OF LEARNING.

OUR FACILITIES AND CAPITAL TEAM, SAYING ON SCHEDULE, SOME OF THEM ARE ACTUALLY AHEAD OF SCHEDULE BECAUSE OF THEIR HARD WORK AND THEIR BEING INNOVATIVE WHAT THEY NEED TO DO.

EVERYBODY ASK GETTING A FULL PAID CHECK IN SPITE OF WHAT YOUR MODIFIED WORK SCHEDULE IS THAT YOU'RE GETTING PAID ON TIME.

EVERYBODY GOT PAID TODAY.

WE ARE ALSO PROUD OF THE FACT THAT WE HAVE AN ALL HANDS ON DECK APPROACH AND I

[00:55:01]

DON'T WANT TO LOSE ALL OF THAT AND IF I DIDN'T GET THIS OFF MY CHEST AND ALLOWED US TO BE ON THE RECORD FOR THE WHOLE WORLD TO HEAR, RIGHT, I WOULD BE DOING A DISSERVICE TO THE HARD WORK THAT OUR TEAM HAS BEEN DOING.

BECAUSE SOMETIMES WE DON'T REALIZE THAT WHEN WE GET OFF TRACK AND WE GET FOCUSED ON ONE SPECIFIC THING, ONE ITEM, IN A MILL THINGS THAT WE HAVE TO LOOK AT -- A MILLION THINGS WE HAVE TO LOOK AT, WE IN SOME WAYS FORGET ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TIRELESSLY WORKING EACH AND EVERY DAY.

AND EVERY MOMENT I GET I TRY TO SAY THANK YOU TO OUR STAFF.

EVERY MOMENT I GET FOR YOU ALL I GENUINELY MEAN I THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

EVERY UPDATE, I KNOW IT SOUNDS REDUNDANT BUT IT'S ON PURPOSE.

THIS WOULDN'T BE POSSIBLE IF YOU DIDN'T ALL BELIEVE IN US.

AND I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT OUR TEAM, THAT THEY GET THE SAME ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND RESPECT THROUGHOUT THIS PROCESS AND FOR EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT WE ARE NOT TRYING TO PROVIDE ANY INEQUITIES TO OANYBODY.

YOU KNOW? AND IT'S NOT ABOUT EQUAL.

NOTHING IS ABOUT EQUAL.

EQUALITY DAYS ARE OVER.

EQUITY MEANS YOU GOT TO SERVICE CERTAIN THINGS FOR DIFFERENT THINGS FOR DIFFERENT REASONS.

EQUAL MEANS YOU DO THE SAME THICK FOR EVERY SITUATION.

WE CAN'T FUNCTION AS A SCHOOL DISTRICT FOR BEING EQUAL FOR EVERYTHING.

LET'S LOOK THROUGH THE EQUITY LENS AND I'M GOING TO STOP THERE, GET OFF MY SOAPBOX.

BUT I DO WANT TO SAY ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU TO THE BOARD, THANK YOU TO OUR SENIOR LEADERS, THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR STAFF, OUR PRINCIPALS, EVERYONE WHO IS MAKING THIS SCHOOL DIVISION SHINE, SHINE, SO BRIGHT YOU KNOW? PEOPLE ARE CALLING US EVERY DAY TO GET INFORMATION ON WHAT WE'RE DOING AND THAT'S BECAUSE OF OUR HARD TEAM AND OUR WORK THAT WE ARE PUTTING FORTH.

THANK YOU EVERYONE AND I'M GOING TO STOP TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THAT BOARD MEMBERS MAY HAVE MADAM CHAIR.

THANK YOU.

>> OKAY, GREAT.

WE ARE RUNNING CLOSE TO THE END OF OUR TIME.

BUT I SEE TWO PEOPLE WITH THEIR HANDS ALREADY UP.

SO WE'RE GOING TO GO, WE HAVE MS. ALDERTON FOLLOWED BY MS. GREENE.

>> RIGHT, SO GOOD AFTERNOON EVERYONE.

I THINK THE FIRST THING I WANT TO DO IS THANK DR. HUTCHINGS FOR SHARING WHAT WAS ON HIS MIND AND ON HIS HARD.

WHAT I REALLY APPRECIATE IS THE CALL FOR EVERYONE TO TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES.

I THINK THAT YOU KNOW, WE'VE RECEIVED E-MAILS, YOU KNOW, PEOPLE SAYING THEY'RE WORKING OVER WEEKENDS AND THEY'RE WORKING COUNTLESS AND TIRELESS HOURS.

BEING I HAVE NEVER PERCEIVED FROM THE STAFF IN ACPS THAT THAT'S WHAT SENIOR LEADERSHIP DOES NOT WANT TEACHERS DOING THAT.

NOT AT THIS TIME.

YOU KNOW, I'M A BIG BELIEVER THAT TEACHERS SHOULDN'T DO THAT DURING REGULAR TIMES.

BECAUSE BURN-OUT IS REAL.

AND YOU KNOW, I DON'T THINK WE WANT ANY MARTYRS IN THIS.

SELF-CARE IS SO IMPORTANT, IF I CAN SAY THAT TO ANY EDUCATOR OUT THERE.

WE ARE SOME OF THE WORSE WHEN IT COMES TO YOU KNOW CUTTING OURSELVES OFF.

AND IT HAS TO BE DONE.

AND IT HAS TO BE DONE ESPECIALLY NOW.

SO YOU KNOW, I APPRECIATE SORT OF THAT REMINDER TO PEOPLE THAT, YOU KNOW, WE DON'T WANT YOU WORKING 12 HOURS A DAY, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK.

AND, YOU KNOW, SET THE BOUNDARIES.

IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT.

I THINK, YOU KNOW, NOBODY'S GOING TO BE GOOD TO ANYBODY'S CHILD IF YOU ARE BURNT OUT, WORN OUT, AND BEAT DOWN.

NOBODY'S GOING TO BE GOOD FOR ANYBODY.

SO I THINK HEED THAT ADVICE FROM DR. HUTCHINGS.

IT'S VERY IMPORTANT.

AND LIKE I SAID, YOUR LEADERSHIP TEAMS DO NOT WANT YOU SORT OF WHAT DO WE CALL IT, BURNING THE MIDNIGHT CANDLE OR COALS OR WHATEVER.

SO THANK YOU FOR THAT.

I DO HAVE A QUESTION THAT I WANTED TO JUST HAVE SOME PUBLIC AWARENESS ON.

THAT IS IN REGARD TO HOW WE'RE LOOKING AT EXTENDED SCHOOL YEAR SERVICES.

SO I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE BENEFICIAL IF YOU ALL COULD SHARE HOW WE ARE GOING TO DEAL WITH ESY GIVEN OUR VERY UNPRECEDENTED AND NEWLY DEVELOPED SITUATION.

WHAT'S THAT GOING TO LOOK LIKE, YOU KNOW, IS IT GOING TO BE ES EVER'S NORMAL OR IS THERE GOING TO BE A DIFFERENT APPROACH TO HOW WE SERVE KIDS WITH DISABILITIES AT THIS TIME.

>> MS. WERNER CAN ANSWER TO THAT.

>> THANK YOU.

THANK YOU MS. ALDERTON.

I APPRECIATE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHARE THIS INFORMATION.

I THINK WE ALLUDED TO THIS AT A PREVIOUS BOARD MEETING AS WELL.

[01:00:03]

JUST TO REMIND EVERYONE THAT EXTENDED SCHOOL YEAR OR ESY SERVICES FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES ARE SERVICES THAT ARE PROVIDED OUTSIDE THE PARAMETERS OF THE REGULAR SCHOOL YEAR CALENDAR AND SCHOOL YEAR SERVICE CYCLE IN ORDER TO ADDRESS THE UNIQUE NEEDS THAT A STUDENT WITH A DISABILITY MIGHT BRING THAT WOULD REQUIRE EXTENDED SERVICES.

THERE ARE A SET OF CRITERIA THAT HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED IN ORDER TO REVIEW A STUDENT NEED EVERY YEAR AND WE DO THAT THROUGH THE INDIVIDUAL IDP PROCESS.

THIS YEAR THOUGH, WE'RE DOING SUMMER SCHOOL FOR ALL.

SO THE ENTIRE SCHOOL DISTRICT WILL BE INVOLVED IN SUMMER.

SO STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES WILL HAVE THAT SAME ACCESS TO EDUCATION THAT EVERY STUDENT IN ALEXANDRIA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS WILL BE APPOINTED THROUGH THE 3.0 PROCESS.

TO THAT END WE ARE NOT EXTENDING THE SCHOOL YEAR FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES.

THEY WILL BE, STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES WILL ALSO ACCESS THOSE EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMING SERVICES.

IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE L STUDENTS, THERE'S BEEN A LOT OF WORK DONE WITH C AND I.

AND PLANNING TEAM WITH SPECIAL ED AND L TO ENSURE THAT WE ARE PROVIDING ACCESS TO ALL OF OUR STUDENTS.

SO THERE WILL BE A CONTINUUM OF SPECIAL EDUCATION SERVICES AVAILABLE FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER PROGRAM.

WE WILL BE LOOKING AT OUR ESY OR EXTENDING STOOL YEAR ONCE WE COME IMPACT IN 4.0 LOOKING AT WHERE STUDENTS ARE AND WHAT THEY NEED ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND THOSE SERVICES WILL BE VERY TAILORED AND INDIVIDUALIZED TO STUDENT NEEDS AND COULD VERY WELL LOOK LIKE AN EXTENDED SCHOOL DAY, ADDITIONAL SERVICES, THINGS OF THAT NATURE.

BUT FOR THE SUMMER, WE WILL BE PART OF THE INTEGRATED SUMMER SCHOOL FOR ALL.

>> OKAY, NEXT WE HAVE MS. GREENE.

>> THANK YOU CHAIR ANDERSON.

DR. HUFNTION I WAS TBONGD YOU COULD GIVE A BRIEF RUN DOWN ON THE BOARD BRIEFS THAT WE'LL RECEIVE TODAY AND I'M PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN HEARING IF WE WILL RECEIVE THE FACILITIES MAINTENANCE UPDATE THAT I BELIEVE WAS TOLD TO US A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO DROP ON MAY 15TH, TODAY.

>> YES, SO WE DID, WE CHANGED THAT DATE TO MAY 22ND BECAUSE WE HAD THE TEAM, THEY COULDN'T GET IT DONE BY THIS WEEK.

WE HAVE SOME PEOPLE WHO WERE OUT AND WE DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE THEM RUSH TO GET IT COMPLETED FOR THIS WEEK.

SO WE GAVE THEM AN ADDITIONAL WEEK.

SO WE'RE GOING TO HAVE THE MAINTENANCE ONES POSTED NEXT FRIDAY.

BUT FACILITIES WILL BE POSTED TODAY AND I DO NOT HAVE THAT IN FRONT OF ME.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE THE LIST IN FRONTS OF THEM RIGHT NOW? BECAUSE IT MAY TAKE ME A MINUTE TO FIND IT.

>> OF ONES THAT ARE DO TODAY?

>> ONES THAT ARE GOING TO BE POSTED.

>> YES, WE HAVE THE SUPERINTENDENT EVALUATION UPDATE, MCARTHUR PROJECT AND RELOCATION PLANNING, THE PROJECT YUCHED AND RELOCATION PLAN, CUSTODIAL AND MAINTENANCE SERVICES UPDATE, I BELIEVE, AND WHY ENROLLMENT PROJECTIONS FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL.

>> THAT IS ACCURATE.

>> AND I APOLOGIZE, I HAVEN'T SENT OUT THE ONE FOR THIS WEEK, SO I'LL SEND THAT OUT THIS AFTERNOON.

I THINK THERE ARE NO CHANGES FROM THE ONE I HAVE.

>> YES, THE ONLY CHANGE IS JUST THE MAINTENANCE ONE WILL BE NEXT FRIDAY VERSUS THIS FRIDAY.

THAT'S THE ONLY CHANGE THAT YOU WILL SEE.

EVERYTHING ELSE IS STILL AS-IS.

>> THANK YOU.

>> I THINK THAT'S ACTUALLY -- I HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT I HAVE THE RIGHT ONE BEFORE I SEND IT OUT TO YOU BECAUSE MINE ACTUALLY HAS THAT ON IT.

I EITHER PULLED THE WRONG ONE OR I -- BUT I'LL GET IT OUR TO YOU ALSO.

I APOLOGIZE.

I SEE MS. NOLAN HAS HER HAND RAISED.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH CHAIR ANDERSON.

NO NEED TO QUESTION LABOR THE CONVERSATION OR ANSWER THIS RIGHT NOW BUT JUST WANTED TO GIVEN THE MAINTENANCE BOARD BRIEF THAT JUST PUT A THOUGHT IN MY HEAD, I IMAGINE MR. HUTCHINGS THAT WHEN WE START SHIFTING TO THE CONVERSATION OF WHAT THE EXPECTATIONS ARE IN THE FALL THAT AS YOU CAN PLANNING, ONE OF THE BIG QUESTION MARKS THAT'S GOING TO START STIRRING IN THE COMMUNITY IS LIKE WHAT IS THE PLAN TO ENSURE THE CLEANLINESS OF THE BUILDINGS, GIVEN IMPORTANCE AND -- OF THAT AMOVING FORWARD AND THAT QUITE FRANKLY WAS NEVER A STRONG SUIT OF OURS AT ACPS AND IT IS GOING TO BE ABSOLUTELY YOND HEALTH MEASURE MOVING FORWARD.

SO AGAIN WE DON'T NEED TO DISCUSS IT NOW BUT WHEN WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE MAINTENANCE, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE THAT INCLUDED.

HOW ARE WE GOING TO ENSURE THAT THE MAINTENANCE OF THE BUILDINGS IS PART OF THE PLAN.

I IMAGINE IT'S ALREADY OUT THERE BUT I JUST WANTED TO PUT THAT OUT THERE AS FOOD FOR THOUGHT FOR FUTURE DISCUSSION.

>> YES, AND IT WILL BE PART OF THE BOARD MEMO SO WHEN YOU ALL SEE THE BOARD BRIEF

[01:05:04]

IT WILL BE PART OF THAT INFORMATION.

AND THEN WE'LL BE ABLE TO TALK THROUGH IT ON THE FOLLOWING WEEK.

>> OKAY SO IT IS -- >> I JUST WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU SO MUCH DR. HUTCHINGS.

BECAUSE I KNOW THAT IT WILL BE WORTH A PUBLIC DISCUSSION IN ADDITION TO THE BOARD BRIEF SO I APPRECIATE YOU SHARING THAT.

>> OKAY AND JUST A REMINDER THAT WHEN WE HAVE BOARD BRIEFS, THEN WE CAN ASK QUESTIONS, IF THERE IS STILL SOME AFTER E-MAILS, THAT WE CAN ASK THEM AT FOLLOW ARE UP MEETINGS.

I ACTUALLY HAD ONE BUT I THINK I'M GOING TO SAVE IT AND ASK IT NEXT WEEK HOPEFULLY BECAUSE WE DMOW AT 1:07 AND I KNOW SOME OF YOU HAVE TO GET ON OTHER WORK CALLS AND THE STAFF NEEDS TO GET BACK TO WORK.

AND SO IF I COULD GET A MOTION TO ADJOURN THAT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

>> MADAM CHAIR I MOVE THAT WE ADJOURN.

>> SECOND.

>> SECOND.

>> I HEARD MR. SUAREZ FIRST FOR THE SECOND OF MS. GENTRY'S MOTION TO ADJOURN THIS MEETING.

AND SO I'M GOING TO INDICATE, PLEASE INDICATE YOUR VOTE IS AS I CALL YOUR NAME, CINDY ANDERSON, YES, VERONICA NOLAN.

YES, MEAGAN ALDERTON, YES, RAMEE GENTRY, YES, JACINTA GREENE, YES, MARGARET LORBER, YES, MICHELLE RIEF, YELL, CHRISTOPHER SUAREZ, YES, HEATHER THORNTON.

YES.

THE MEETING IS NOW ADJOURNED.

EVERYBODY SPEND SOME TIME OUTSIDE.

>> CONGRATULATIONS MARGARET.

>> THANK YOU.

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.