Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

>> ALL RIGHT.

[00:00:02]

SO GOOD EVENING, EVERYONE.

[Call the Work Session to Order]

WELCOME TO OUR WORK SESSION.

WE ARE STARTING AT 5:08 P.M.

AND SO JUST TO QUICKLY GO OVER THE AGENDA FOR THIS WORK SESSION, WE ARE GOING TO START WITH OUR BUDGET DISCUSSION.

[1. Add/Delete Work Session #1]

DR. HUTCHINGS HAS SOME ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR US TODAY, AND SECONDLY WE WILL LOOK AT POLICIES THIS EVENING.

I WILL GO AHEAD AND TURN IT OVER TO DR. HUTCHINGS.

>> THANK YOU, MADAM CHAIR.

YES, WE ARE GOING TO SHARE SOME INFORMATION TODAY WHICH IS NICE TO BE ABLE TO SHARE SOME NEWS WITH THE BOARD IN REGARDS TO OUR FY-22 BUDGET.

BEFORE WE GET STARTED WITH THE BUDGET I WANTED TO TURN THINGS OVER TO OUR CFO, MR. TURNER, TO GIVE US INSIGHT INTO THE ADDITIONAL STATE REVENUE THAT WE HAVE RECEIVED.

MR. TURNER, I WILL TURN IT OVER TO YOU.

MAYBE NOT.

MAYBE I WILL TAKE IT.

THERE HE IS.

>> CAN YOU HEAR ME?

>> I CAN HEAR YOU.

>> SORRY.

I WAS TALKING, BUT I THINK I WAS ON MUTE.

AS DR. HUTCHINGS WAS SAYING GOOD NEWS IS STATE REVENUE IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN THE BUDGET.

THERE WERE FOUR PRIMARY ITEMS THAT WERE INCREASED.

STATE SALES TAX REVENUE WAS UP.

THAT IS THE LARGEST CATEGORY AND THERE WERE THREE OTHER CATEGORIES ALL NEW GOING INTO 2022.

LET ME JUST PULL UP THE DOCUMENT TO BE ABLE TO GO OVER THERE.

THE NEW NEW CATEGORIES TO TRY TO HELP THE SCHOOL DIVISIONS.

AND THERE IS A COMMUNITY PROVIDER ADD ON.

AND THEN LASTLY TRYING TO PROVIDE CONVERSATIONS FOR SCHOOL STAFF THEY PUT IN BONUS PAY FOR NEXT YEAR AS WELL.

THOSE ARE THE FOUR PRIMARY CATEGORIES THAT ARE GOING UP.

THE ATTACHMENT ON THE DOCUMENT SHOWS THAT THERE IS MOVEMENT ON ALMOST ALL OF THE CATEGORIES, BUT NOT AS MUCH AS BEFORE.

JUST WANTED TO POINT THAT ALL TO YOU ALL.

I WILL TURN IT BACK OVER TO DR. HUTCHINGS TO GO OVER THE SUPERINTENDENT'S ADJUSTED EXPENDITURE SIDE.

>> I WILL START OFF -- THANK YOU, MR. TURNER.

I WANTED TO START OFF AND GO THROUGH SOME OF THE RECOMMENDED ADJUSTMENTS BASED ON THIS ADDITIONAL REVENUE WE RECEIVED FROM THE STATE.

AND THEN I AM GOING TO ASK FOR MR. TURNER TO GO THROUGH OUR TECHNICAL ADJUSTMENTS.

THERE ARE SOME THINGS WE NEEDED TO ADJUST THAT DID NOT HAVE AN EXPENDITURE CHANGE THAT I WOULD LIKE FOR HIM TO GO THROUGH.

I WANTED TO START OFF WITH SOME OF THE RECOMMENDED ADJUSTMENTS BASED ON THIS ADDITIONAL $2.1 MILLION.

SPECIFICALLY WE ARE -- AS YOU WELL KNOW WE ARE PROCURING SO MANY DIFFERENT CONTRACTS FOR MULTIPLE PROJECTS WE HAVE IN ACPS FROM THE HIGH SCHOOL PROJECTS TO OUR TYPICAL FACILITIES PROJECTS THAT WE HAVE GOING AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

RIGHT? AND ONE AREA THAT WE BELIEVE THAT WE NEED TO REALLY BEGIN TO ADDRESS NOW IN REGARDS TO OUR PROCUREMENT DEPARTMENT IS ADDING A SENIOR BUYER TO OUR FACILITIES SERVICES DEPARTMENT.

WE ARE PLANNING TO DO THAT NOW.

WE HAVE POSTED A POSITION FOR THIS PARTICULAR POSITION, BUT THE GOAL IS THAT WE ARE INCLUDING THE 125,000 EXPENDITURE CHANGE TO ADD AN ADDITIONAL FTE IN THE FY22 BUDGET TO SUSTAIN THIS POSITION THAT WE ARE INCORPORATING INTO THE FY21 BUDGET RIGHT NOW.

MR. TURNER WILL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE SOME MORE SPECIFICS AROUND THAT.

WE ARE ALSO LOOKING AT ADDING A 1% INCENTIVE BONUS FOR OUR STAFF.

AS YOU ALL KNOW, OUR STAFF HAVE BEEN WORKING TIRELESSLY LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE ACROSS THIS WORLD.

NOW THEY ARE CALLING EDUCATORS FIRST RESPONDERS.

WELL, I'M GONNA TAKE IT.

WE ARE FIRST RESPONDERS.

THAT MEANS WE REALLY SHOULD BE TRYING TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL COMPENSATION FOR SOME OF OUR STAFF MEMBERS, ESPECIALLY WHEN WE ARE ABLE.

ONE THING THAT CAME OUT OF OUR DISCUSSION LAST MONTH WHEN WE INTRODUCED THE SUPERINTENDENT'S PROPOSED BUDGET WAS THE FACT THAT OUR HEALTH PREMIUMS WERE GOING TO INCREASE IN FY22.

AND YES WE WERE RECOMMENDING A STEP, HOWEVER SOME STAFF MEMBERS MAY NOT GET TO ENJOY THAT STEP INCREASE BECAUSE OF THE INCREASE OF THE HEALTH PREMIUMS.

[00:05:06]

SO WHAT WE HAVE INCLUDED IN THE PROPOSED OR ADJUSTMENTS WE HAVE MADE IN THE FY22 BUDGET IS TO ADD A 1% INCENTIVE BONUS FOR OUR STAFF TO OFFSET THOSE PREMIUM INCREASES IN THE FY22 YEAR.

AND THEN FINALLY WHEN WE INTRODUCED THE SUPERINTENDENT'S BUDGET WE SHARED THE COMPENSATION STUDY.

IN JANUARY WE HAD SOME OF THE RECOMMENDATIONS, AND WE WERE NOT FINALIZED IN REGARDS TO THE CHANGES THAT WE WERE PROPOSING TO THE BOARD.

SO WE WANTED TO INCORPORATE THAT INTO THE ADJUSTMENTS.

SPECIFICALLY WE LOOKED AT ADDING SUPPORT FOR OUR MARKET GROUPS FOR EMPLOYEE THAT'S WERE BELOW MARKET BASED ON A THIRD PARTY COMPENSATION STUDY AND THAT WAS $202,900.

WE HAVE CHOSEN TO DO A FIVE-YEAR KIND OF A PLAN TO ADDRESS THIS MARKET ADJUSTMENT VERSUS A THREE-YEAR.

WE ARE GOING THROUGH AN ECONOMIC DOWNTURN AT THIS TIME AND WE WANTED TO BE RESPECTFUL OF THAT, BUT WE ALSO WANT TO ADDRESS THE NEED THAT WE KNOW IS VERY CLEAR TO US.

I'M GLAD WE ARE ABLE TO DO THESE THIRD PARTY COMPENSATION STUDIES EACH YEAR SO WE CAN IDENTIFY SOME OF THE DEFICIT AREAS AND HAVE PLANS AND STRATEGIES TO ADDRESS THEM.

WE DID PROVIDE THE SPECIFIC EMPLOYEE GROUPS AS AN ATTACHMENT TO THIS MEMO.

MR. TURNER CAN GO THROUGH SOME OF THESE MORE SPECIFICALLY.

I WANTED TO GIVE THE BOARD A QUICK OVERVIEW AS TO HOW WE WERE ALLOCATING THE ADDITIONAL $2.1 MILLION AND WHAT WE RECOMMENDED HOW TO ALLOCATE THE ADDITIONAL $2.1 MILLION.

MR. TURNER?

>> YES.

SO JUST BEFORE I GO TO TECHNICAL ADJUSTMENTS, THE BUYER WOULD BE IN THE FINANCIAL DEPARTMENT AND NOT THE FACILITIES DEPARTMENT.

THAT WILL HELP ACPS AND SO IT WILL BE IN THE PROCUREMENT OFFICE.

WE HAVE FIVE TECHNICAL ADJUSTMENTS AND THESE ADJUSTMENTS ARE DUE TO NO EMISSION OR AN ERROR IN THE BUDGET BOOK.

WE WANTED TO CORRECT THOSE BEFORE WE MOVE INTO THE FINAL BUDGET OF PRODUCTION THAT WILL HAPPEN AFTER THE ADOPTION IN JUNE.

THESE ARE $0 EXPENDITURE CHANGE.

THEY ARE CORRECTION TO A POSITION TITLE THAT WAS INCORRECT IN THE SYSTEM OR ADDING THE RESERVE POSITIONS THAT WERE OMITTED FROM THE BUDGET.

THEY WERE DISCUSSED IN THE PRESENTATION AND WORK SESSIONS, BUT OMITTED FROM THE BUDGET BOOKS.

WE WANTED TO ENSURE WE WERE PUTTING THOSE IN AS WELL.

AS FAR AS THE MRE'S THAT DR. HUTCHINGS JUST DISCUSSED, ANYTHING WE SAW IN THE COMPENSATION STUDY THAT WERE SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW THE MARKET AVERAGE, WE WANTED TO BRING THOSE UP TO WITHIN 3% OF THE MARKET AVERAGE.

WE TOOK A FIVE-YEAR APPROACH AS DR. HUTCHINGS SAID TO DO THAT OVER THE LONG HAUL BECAUSE IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT TO TRY TO MOVE ALL OF THOSE POSITION GROUPS UP TO THAT LEVEL IN ONE YEAR.

ESPECIALLY AS WE ARE DEALING WITH COMING OUT OF A GLOBAL PANDEMIC.

SUSAN, I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN PULL UP THAT ATTACHMENT.

I BELIEVE WE HAD ABOUT 24 GROUPS IN THE COMPENSATION STUDY THIS YEAR.

MANY OF THE POSITIONS CAME BACK AND WE SAW THAT THEY WERE ALREADY COMPETITIVE, SO WE DID NOT PROVIDE A MARKET RATE ADJUSTMENT TO THOSE POSITIONS THAT ARE ALREADY COMPETITIVE.

SOME OF THE POSITION GROUPS WERE COMPETITIVE AT THE MIDDLE OF THE RANGE, BUT NOT THE TOP OF THE RANGE.

FOR THOSE POSITIONS WE ADDED STEPS TO THE TOP.

THESE ARE THE POSITIONS THAT THE WHOLE SCALE WAS SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW THE MARKET.

YOU WILL SEE IN THE PROJECTED AREA, THIS IS WHERE WE WOULD BE AT THE END OF THE FIVE YEARS IF WE ARE ABLE TO STAY ON THIS TRACK FOR THE FIVE YEARS.

YOU WILL SEE WHAT THE PERCENTAGES ARE.

ONE OF THE LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE PAST IS IN THE PAST WE TRIED TO BE VERY SPECIFIC WITH THE PERCENTAGES.

YOU SAW THE BUS DRIVERS HAD A 4.64 AND YOU SAW A 2.9 AND NUMBERS LIKE THIS.

OUR LESSON LEARNED IS WE TRIED TO STAY WITH QUARTER PERCENTAGES.

YOU WILL SEE THESE ARE TO A QUARTER PERCENT.

[00:10:02]

WITH THAT I WILL TURN IT OVER FOR ANY QUESTIONS FOR THOSE ADJUSTMENTS THAT WE HAVE.

>> OKAY.

SO AT THIS TIME ARE THERE ANY BOARD MEMBERS WITH QUESTIONS? OKAY, MS. NOLAN.

>> I DON'T WANT TO PROLONG THE CONVERSATION AND I DON'T HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

I WANT TO REMARK ON A COUPLE OF THINGS.

NUMBER ONE, I WANT TO THANK THE STAFF FOR THEIR HARD WORK.

AND I REALLY THINK IT IS IMPORTANT THAT WE ARE NOT ONLY COLLECTING DATA, BUT USING THE DATA TO GUIDE THE DISCUSSION.

THE MRA, PARTICULARLY FOR STAFF WHO THE CONCERN IS THAT THE SALARY RANGE WILL NOT MEET THEIR NEEDS AND WE WANT TO MAKE SURE WE ARE COMPETITIVE WITH OUR STAFF.

MY TWO COMMENTS TO SUMMARIZE IS, NUMBER ONE, THANK YOU FOR BEING GOOD TO THE STAFF, THE BONUS AND MAKING SURE WE ARE APPROPRIATE WITH THEM WITH THE HEALTH.

I JUST THINK THAT IS THE CULTURE WE WHAT PRESIDENT TO CONTINUE HAVING AT ACPS AND MAKE SURE OUR STAFF FEELS VALUE.

ESPECIALLY AS YOU SAID, DR. HUTCHINGS, IT IS A CHALLENGING TIME AND TO DO OUR BEST.

I ALWAYS WISH WE COULD GIVE MORE.

THOSE ARE THE CON -- CONSTRAINTS WE ARE IN, BUT AS RAIMY SAYS IT IS HARD IN A CHALLENGING TIME AND I WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU FOR THAT.

AND I WANTED TO TAKE AN OPPORTUNITY ESPECIALLY FOR SOMEBODY ON THE BOARD FOR FIVE YEARS JUST TAKE A MOMENT TO SHARE MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THE PROCUREMENT POSITION AND WHY THIS IS SUCH A VALUE.

AND CANDIDLY I WILL OWN THAT I DIDN'T -- I FULLY HAVE COME TO APPRECIATE THE IMPORTANCE OF THAT ROLE ESPECIALLY FOR THREE REASONS.

I WANTED TO PASS THAT INFORMATION ON IN CASE IT IS HELPFUL FOR THOSE WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE.

NUMBER ONE WE HAVE SEEN WITH STRONG PROCUREMENT THE LABOR FORCE AND IT HELPS US SAVE MONEY IN THE LONG RUN AND THAT'S IMPORTANT.

NUMBER TWO, IT BUILDS TRUST WITH THE CITY COUNCIL THAT IF YOU HAVE A PROCUREMENT OFFICER THAT IS NEGOTIATING AND ENSURING THAT THE ESTIMATES WE HAVE ARE ACCURATE AND THAT WE DON'T HAVE TO KEEP COMING BACK TO THE CITY COUNCIL AND SAYING SORRY WE MISS JUDGED HOW MUCH IT WAS GOING TO COST.

BUILDING TRUST AND SAVING MONEY, HAVING PROJECTS FINISH ON TIME IS ONLY GOING TO STRENGTHEN OUR DIVISION AND OFTENTIMES THAT IS IN THE HOUSE OF THE PROCUREMENT OFFICE.

I JUST WANTED TO SPRING THE PRAISES OF UNSUNG HEROS IN ACPS AND WHY THAT POSITION IS IMPORTANT, AND WHY ESPECIALLY FROM A BOARD PERSPECTIVE, HAVING A RESPONSIBLE BUDGET AND HAVING PROJECTS FINISH ON TIME AND HAVING STRENGTHENED RELATIONSHIPS WITH THE CITY COUNCIL IS OFTENTIMES A DIRECT CORRELATION TO A STRONG PROCUREMENT.

I APOLOGIZE.

I DON'T HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, BUT I WANTED TO NOTE THOSE TWO ITEMS IN THE BUDGET AND SAY THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE'S HARD WORK AND WHY I AM GRATEFUL TO SUPPORT THE THOUGHT THAT WENT BEHIND IT.

>> MEGAN, I CAN'T RAISE MY HAND.

I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I DO HAVE A QUESTION.

>> SURE.

I WILL GO TO MS. GENTRY FIRST AND THEN ADD MS. LORBER.

IS THAT OKAY?

>> I REALLY JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU, MS. NOLAN.

I REALLY JUST WANT TO ENTHUSIASTICALLY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT VICE CHAIR NOLAN SAID AND ADD ONE MORE EL LENT -- ELEMENT.

SHE TALKED ABOUT THE TRUST OF THE CITY AND WE ARE HELPING TO UNDERSTAND THE COSTS UP FRONT AND THAT WE STATED THE COSTS AND THAT WE STAY ON TIME.

IN ADDITION TO THAT, WE ARE GETTING EVERYTHING -- WE ARE GETTING THE HIGHEST QUALITY PRODUCT AS WELL.

IT IS REALLY ALL OF THOSE THINGS.

IT DOESN'T HELP TO GET SOMETHING IN ON TIME AND ON BUDGET IF IT IS DEFICIENT IN SOMEWAYS.

IT IS A REALLY CRUCIAL POSITION AND I JUST WANTED TO AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT MS. NOLAN SAID AND A HUGE THANK YOU TO THE FINANCE DEPARTMENT AND THE ENTIRE TEAM OF PEOPLE THAT WORKED ON THE BUDGET PROCESS THIS YEAR.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>> THANK YOU, MS. GENTRY.

MS. LORBER?

>> THANK YOU.

YEAH.

I JUST WANT TO THANK EVERYBODY TOO.

I AGREE WITH THAT.

I'M WORRIED.

DID WE GO OVER THE TECHNICAL ADJUSTMENTS YET OR NOT YET? DID WE DO BOTH?

>> YES.

>> MY QUESTION IS ONE OF THE TECHNICAL ADJUSTMENTS AND THEN I WAS SUDDENLY AFRAID WE DIDN'T GO OVER THEM YET.

[00:15:01]

THE NUMBER 2, THE REAL LINES AND TAKING SOMEBODY OUT OF TALENT DEVELOP AND PUTTING THEM IN THE LEADERSHIP OFFICE.

THANK YOU.

WHENEVER SOMEONE DOES THAT MY WHOLE THING GOES.

YEAH.

I'M WONDERING THAT FTE FOR SCHOOL LEADERSHIP WAS THAT THING IN THE BUDGET -- IS THAT THE PERSON WHO WILL SUPERVISE THE PRINCIPAL IS MY QUESTION?

>> YES.

THIS IS THE POSITION WE DISCUSSED LAST YEAR WHEN WE DID OUR REORGANIZATION FOR OUR TEACHING AND LEARNING AND LEADERSHIP.

WHAT WE DID WAS WE REPURPOSED THE DIRECTOR FOR PROFESSIONAL LEARNING POSITION INTO THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE SCHOOL LEADERSHIP POSITION.

THAT POSITION WAS A VACANCY, BUT WE DO PLAN TO FILL IT AS OF JULY 1.

>> AND THEN WHAT YOU WILL SEE AS A TECHNICAL ADJUSTMENT IS THE BUDGET WAS REFLECTED IN THE WRONG OFFICE.

WE WANT TO MAKE SURE WE ARE REFLECTING IT IN THE CORRECT OFFICE.

>> OKAY.

I'M NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE PLACE TO DISCUSS THIS, BUT WHEN -- THE QUESTION IS WHEN DID WE -- THIS IS EFFECTIVELY THE POSITION THAT -- LIKE THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE FOLKS WHO SUPERVISE THE SUPERINTENDENTS, AND THIS HAS BEEN CONSOLIDATED.

IS THIS K-12?

>> SO THIS POSITION IS K-12.

THIS IS WHEN I DID MY REWORK ABOUT -- WELL IT WAS TWO YEARS NOW.

NO.

IT WAS A YEAR AGO.

IT WAS A REWORK FROM LAST YEAR.

THIS WAS PART OF THE WORK.

AS MR. TURNER MENTIONED, THE REASON IT IS SHOWING UP HERE IS THAT POSITION WAS JUST PUT IN THE -- IT WAS KEPT IN THE WRONG OFFICE.

WE MOVED IT TO THE SCHOOL LEADERSHIP OFFICE, BUT IT WASN'T REFLECTED IN THE FY22 BUDGET.

THIS ADJUSTMENT WAS MOVING THAT OVER.

THE SCHOOL LEADERSHIP POSITION IS AN EXECUTIVE COACHING POSITION FOR ALL OF OUR PRINCIPALS.

THAT'S PRE-K THROUGH 12.

THAT POSITION WE ARE PLANNING TO HAVE FILLED FOR THE JULY 1ST -- FOR FISCAL YEAR 2020 BEGINNING JULY 1.

>> FORGIVE ME.

IT IS A WORK SESSION, RIGHT? I JUST WANT TO PURSUE THIS JUST A TEENY BIT MORE.

IS IT A COACHING POSITION, OR IS IT -- IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TECHNICAL AMENDMENT.

I UNDERSTAND.

BUT IS IT TRULY A COACHING POSITION OR WILL THAT PERSON SUPERVISE THE PRINCIPAL?

>> IT WILL SUPERVISE PRINCIPALS, BUT THEY ARE ALSO EXECUTIVE COACHING FOR OUR PRINCIPALS.

THIS IS A PART OF OUR REORGANIZATION AND OUR FOCUS FROM WHERE OUR PRINCIPALS NEEDED SOME EXECUTIVE COACHING IN ADDITION TO THE SUPERVISION WE NEEDED FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES.

WE ARE TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM THAT MANAGEMENT LIKE THE I'M YOUR BOSS-TYPE THING.

WE WORK TOGETHER AS COLLEAGUES VERSUS I'M YOUR BOSS AND I TELL YOU WHAT TO DO.

THAT'S WHY THE EXECUTIVE COACHING COMPONENT WHICH WAS A HUGE EMPHASIS FOR THIS ROLE WAS INCLUDED IN THIS.

>> BEFORE YOU WERE HERE, I MEAN, THERE WAS SOME MISUNDERSTANDING THAT IT WAS ADVERTISED AS COACHING, BECAME SUPERVISION.

THE SUPERVISION WAS HEAVY HANDED, AND I WANTED TO MAKE SURE WE WERE NOT GOING TO FALL BACK INTO THAT CONFUSION.

>> WE ARE TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM HEAVY HANDED ANYTHING.

IF WE DON'T FUNCTION AS A TEAM, WHAT YOU END UP HAVING IS AN ORGANIZATION WHERE THERE IS -- TO ME IT BECOMES LIKE HAVING TYRANTS AT THE TOP.

WE ARE TRYING TO PREVENT THAT.

THAT'S WHAT I HEARD COMING INTO THIS POSITION THREE YEARS AGO.

THAT WAS HOW THE CULTURE WAS.

WE HAVE SHIFTED FROM THAT CULTURE TO BE MORE COLLABORATIVE AND WORKING TOGETHER AS A TEAM VERSUS A BOSS KIND OF A MENTALITY.

>> GREAT.

>> MS. GENTRY YOUR HAND IS STILL UP IS THAT JUST -- OKAY.

AND BEFORE WE MOVE ALONG, I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE I DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS FROM BOARD MEMBERS.

OKAY.

GREAT.

I SEE MS. GENTRY.

>> I'M SO SORRY.

I LIED.

I'M ALWAYS LOOKING OUT FOR YOU, MR. TURNER.

DO WE NEED A MOMENT IN THIS WHERE WE ARE OFFICIALLY ACKNOWLEDGING THAT WE ARE -- OKAY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>> WE DO.

AND I MAY JUST PULL IN JENNIFER IF NEED BE.

HOWEVER, WE DO NEED TO, BECAUSE THESE ARE TECHNICAL ADJUSTMENTS.

WE NEED A MOMENT WHERE WE GIVE THE OKAY THAT WE ARE OKAY WITH THESE ADJUSTMENTS.

[00:20:07]

DID YOU HAVE YOUR HAND UP?

>> YES, I JUST WANTED TO ADD ON TO WHAT MS. NOLAN AND MS. GENTRY MENTIONED TODAY.

THIS REALLY TIES BACK TO OUR WHOLE THEME OF OUR FY22 BUDGET.

I MENTIONED THIS EARLIER AND WANTED TO MAKE SURE I GOT MY TALKING POINTS RIGHT.

I JUST TALKED IT DOWN AND I SAID YOU SAID YOU WOULD SAY X.

I WILL SAY IT NOW, MR. TURNER.

THIS DOES TIE BACK TO THE THEME OF THE FY22 BUDGET WHICH IS RECOVER, RETAIN AND IGNITE.

WHEN WE TALKED ABOUT IT, MS. NOLAN, YOU WERE SPEAKING EXACTLY LIKE WE DO IN OUR MEETINGS IN REGARDS TO JUST MAKING SURE THAT OUR DECISIONS ARE ALIGNED WITH WHAT WE SAID WE WERE GOING TO DO.

AND WE ARE ALLOWING THE DATA TO HELP US INFORM OUR DECISION MAKING.

THIS WHOLE ADJUSTMENT THAT WE HAVE MADE IS ABOUT THE RETENTION COMPONENT AS WELL AS THE RECOVERY COMPONENT.

I THINK IT CAN FIT WITH ALL THREE, BUT I JUST WANTED TO MAKE THE POINT THAT THESE ADJUSTMENTS ARE ALIGNED WITH WHAT WE SAID WE BELIEVE FROM OUR BUDGET PRIORITIES THAT THE BOARD ADOPTED IN THE FALL TO THE THEME OF THE FY22 BUDGET.

>> GREAT.

THANK YOU FOR THAT.

AND SO WE DO NEED TO HAVE ONE OF OUR THUMBS UP MOMENTS IN REGARD TO THESE ADJUSTMENTS.

JENNIFER, DO I NEED TO READ EACH OF THE ADJUSTMENTS OR DO WE -- CAN WE JUST GIVE A THUMBS UP IN GENERAL TO THE ADJUSTMENTS? I'M GONNA RELY ON YOU.

>> SURE.

I'M SORRY.

YOU SHOULD DO THEM INDIVIDUALLY IN CASE THERE IS NOT AGREEMENT ON ALL OF THEM.

>> GOTCHA.

SUSAN, WOULD YOU MIND PULLING THEM UP FOR US, PLEASE.

>> I JUST WANT TO CLARIFY THAT IT IS THE SUPERINTENDENT'S ADJUSTMENTS THAT NEED THE THUMBS UP, THUMBS DOWN.

>> SURE.

THANK YOU.

>> NO PROBLEM.

>> ALL RIGHT.

WAIT A MINUTE.

>> SORRY.

WHEN I'M SHARING I CAN'T SEE MY -- I CAN'T SEE MY BROWSER.

HOLD ON ONE SECOND.

>> HERE WE GO.

>> THANK YOU.

SO THE SUPERINTENDENT'S RECOMMENDED ADJUSTMENTS, AND SO I WILL START HERE WITH THE OPERATING FUND AND THEN WE WILL DO THUMBS UP.

SO I WILL GO ACROSS THE SCREEN, AND I GUESS SUSAN I CAN GIVE YOU A NUMBER.

DO YOU WANT TO DO IT THAT WAY?

>> YES.

>> GREAT.

SO NUMBER ONE, ADDITIONAL STATE REVENUE OF $2.1 MILLION AND THE PROPOSAL IS TO ADD 1FTE SENIOR BUYER POSITION IN THE FINANCIAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT.

OKAY.

I WILL SCROLL.

MR. SUAREZ -- >> WE MAY HAVE TO DO A ROLL CALL.

>> WE CAN DO THAT.

I COULDN'T SEE MR. SUAREZ'S THUMB.

LET'S DO A ROLL CALL.

>> MS. GENTRY.

>> YES.

SORRY.

I HAD TO UNMUTE.

>> MS. ALDERTON.

YES.

>> LORBER.

>> YES.

>> THORNTON.

>> YES.

>> DR. RIEF.

>> YES.

>> MR. SUAREZ.

>> YES.

>> MS. NOLAN.

>> YES.

>> MS. GREEN.

>> YES.

>> DID I MISS ANYONE?

>> MS. ANDERSON.

YES.

>> YES, OKAY.

THANK YOU.

THAT WAS 9.

ADD 1% INCENTIVE BONUS FOR STAFF.

MS. GENTRY.

>> YES.

>> MS. ALDERTON.

YES.

MS. LORBER.

>> YES.

>> DR. RIEF.

>> YES.

>> MS. ANDERSON.

>> YES.

>> MS. THORNTON.

>> YES.

>> MR. SUAREZ.

>> YES.

>> MS. NOLAN.

>> YES.

>> MS. GREEN.

>> YES.

>> THANK YOU.

WE HAVE 9.

ALL RIGHT.

ADD FUNDING TO SUPPORT MRA'S FOR EMPLOYEE GROUPS SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW MARKET BASED ON THIRD PARTY COMPENSATION STUDY.

THIS IS REGARDING THE PHASE 2.

MS. GENTRY.

YES.

>> YES.

>> ALDERTON.

>> YES.

>> MS. LORBER.

>> YES.

>> DR. RIEF.

[00:25:01]

>> YES.

>> MS. ANDERSON.

>> YES.

>> MS. THORNTON.

>> YES.

>> MR. SUAREZ.

>> YES.

>> MS. NOLAN.

>> YES.

>> MS. GREEN.

>> YES.

>> DID I GET MS. LORBER?

>> YES, YOU DID.

>> OKAY.

THANK YOU.

SO DOMINIC, IS THAT WHAT YOU NEED?

>> YES, MA'AM, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

>> OKAY.

AWESOME.

THIS WAS AN INTERESTING WORK SESSION.

WE DIDN'T HAVE ANY ADD/DELETES.

I JUST HAVE TO AGAIN REITERATE A VERY GOOD BUDGET PROCESS.

WE SEEM TO GET BETTER AND BETTER EVERY TIME.

THIS IS VERY EXCITING.

I HOPE IT IS EXCITING FOR THE STAFF TOO.

DR. HUTCHINGS IS GIVING THE ROUNDABOUT CLAP.

THANK YOU AGAIN, EVERYONE.

JUST CHECKING IN WITH JENNIFER.

WE COVERED WHAT WE NEED, JENNIFER? PROCEDURALLY?

>> YES.

WE ARE GOOD TO GO.

THANK YOU.

>> AWESOME.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>> OKAY.

SO WE CAN MOVE ON.

JENNIFER, YOU ARE UP BECAUSE WE HAVE SOME POLICIES TO REVIEW.

>> I ACTUALLY AM GONNA TAKE ONE STEP BACK FROM WHAT I JUST SAID.

THERE IS ACTUALLY ONE MORE PROCEDURAL COMPONENT THAT IS REQUIRED AS FAR AS THE BUDGET.

THAT IS IF THERE IS GOING TO BE NO -- IF THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE A SECOND ADD/DELETE WORK SESSION IT NEEDS A UNANIMOUS VOTE OF THE BOARD RIGHT NOW OR INDICATION UNANIMOUSLY BY THE BOARD.

>> THANK YOU FOR THAT.

SO, BOARD, UNLESS YOU WANT A SECOND ADD/DELETE SESSION WHAT I WILL DO IS I WILL JUST GO -- I GUESS I WILL DO A ROLL CALL AGAIN GIVEN THAT WE DON'T HAVE ANYMORE ADD/DELETES AND ACCEPTED THE TECHNICAL ADJUSTMENTS, IT IS SEEMINGLY INDICATED TO ME THAT WE DO NOT NEED A SECOND ADD/DELETE SESSION.

IF YOU ARE IN APPROVAL I CAN CALL YOUR NAME AND YOU CAN SAY YES.

I WILL START WITH MEGAN ALDERTON.

YES.

MARGARET LORBER.

>> YES.

>> DR. RIEF.

>> YES.

>> VERONICA NOLAN.

>> YES.

>> HEATHER THORNTON.

>> YES.

>> RAMEE GENTRY.

>> YES.

>> CHRISTOPHER SUAREZ.

>> YES.

>> CINDY ANDERSON.

>> YES.

>> JECINTA GREEN.

>> YES.

>> AND MS. NOLAN DID I GET YOU?

>> YES, THANK YOU.

>> SO WE HAVE 9 THERE, SUSAN, FOR YOUR RECORDS.

SO WE WILL NOT HAVE A SECOND ADD/DELETE SESSION.

THANK YOU, EVERYONE.

THANK YOU, JENNIFER.

SO WE ARE MOVING ALONG.

GOING BACK TO JENNIFER NOW.

>> THANK YOU.

AND JUST TO CLARIFY FOR ANY MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC, THE WORK SESSION WILL STILL TAKE PLACE NEXT WEEK.

IT IS JUST THE BUDGET AGENDA ITEM WILL BE REMOVED.

>> YES.

>> SO THIS EVENING OUR LAST ITEM TONIGHT IS WE HAVE 10 POLICIES TO REVIEW IN OUR CONTINUING REVIEW CYCLE AS WE ARE TRYING TO CLEAN UP ESPECIALLY SOME OF THE STATUTORY REVISIONS AND SOME OF THE POLICIES THAT ARE UP FOR THEIR FIVE-YEAR REVIEW IN OUR REVIEW CYCLE THAT IS REQUIRED BY VIRGINIA LAW.

WE HAVE EIGHT POLICIES THIS EVENING FROM THE FINANCIAL SERVICES GROUP, ONE INSTRUCTIONAL POLICY AND ONE STUDENT SERVICES POLICY AND I AM GOING TO GO THROUGH THESE, AND WE'LL DO THE FINANCIAL SERVICES POLICIES FIRST AND THEN WE WILL TAKE ANY QUESTIONS ON THOSE BEFORE WE MOVE ON TO THE FINANCIAL TWO.

SO I'M JUST GOING TO SHARE MY SCREEN HERE AND SCROLL THROUGH.

CAN YOU SEE THAT SCREEN, THE FIRST POLICY?

>> YES.

>> THANK YOU.

OUR FIRST POLICY THIS EVENING IS POLICY DG, CUSTODY AND DISPERSE MEANT

[2. Revisions to D, I and J Policies]

OF SCHOOL FUNDS.

THIS POLICY WAS LAST REVIEWED IN DECEMBER OF 2015.

IT IS UP FOR A FIVE-YEAR REVIEW.

[00:30:24]

IT REALLY JUST HAS LEGAL REFERENCES AND CROSS-REFERENCES UPDATED AND NO REAL CHANGES TO CONTENT PROPOSED TO THIS POLICY THIS EVENING.

NEXT WE HAVE POLICY DGB WHICH IS AUTHORIZATION OF PROCUREMENT AND CREDIT CARD USE.

THIS WAS ALSO REVIEWED FIVE YEARS AGO OR A LITTLE OVER FIVE YEARS AGO IN DECEMBER OF 2015.

THIS ALSO HAS HAD ITS REFERENCES UPDATED, BUT IT HAS NO PROPOSED REVISIONS AT THIS TIME.

I SHOULD SAY WE JUST TECHNICALLY UPDATED ONE POSITION DESCRIPTION, BUT THAT'S ALL.

NEXT WE HAVE THE ATTACHED REGULATION TO THIS POLICY.

AND THAT IS DGB-R.

THE PROCUREMENT CARD REGULATIONS.

THE PROPOSAL FOR THIS REGULATION IS TO DELETE THE CURRENT CONTENT AND REPLACE IT WITH OUR CURRENT PROCUREMENT CARD MANUAL.

THE PROCUREMENT -- THE CONTENT OF THIS REGULATION, I SHOULD SAY, HAS NOT BEEN REVIEWED FOR FIVE YEARS OR UPDATED, AND THERE IS A CURRENT VERSION OF THE REPROCUREMENT CARD MANUAL REFLECTING THE CURRENT RULES AND PROCEDURES.

OUR PROPOSAL IS TO WHOLLY REPLACE THE REGULATION WITH THE CURRENT PROCUREMENT CARD PROGRAM REGULATION.

THE NEXT POLICY IS DGD.

FUNDS FOR INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS AND OFFICE SUPPLIES.

THIS WAS ALSO LAST REVIEWED FIVE YEARS AGO.

YOU WILL SEE A FEW CHANGES IN THE SECOND PARAGRAPH.

THESE ARE REALLY TO REFLECT THE CURRENT ACPS PRACTICE.

THERE IS ONE CHANGE IN THE FIRST PARAGRAPH.

AS YOU WILL SEE -- AS YOU KNOW FROM BOARD PRACTICE WHEN THERE ARE BUDGET TRANSFERS, THEY ARE NOT TRANSFERRED AS PERCENTAGES OF THE BALANCE OF AN ACCOUNT.

EXACT DOLLAR AMOUNTS ARE TRANSFERRED AND NOT PERCENTAGES.

THE LANGUAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED AS FAR AS THE PRACTICE.

THAT IS ALL FOR THAT POLICY.

IT IS CLEANING UP THE LANGUAGE TO CORRECT CURRENT PRACTICE.

NEXT POLICY IS DIA.

THIS IS REPORTING PER PUPIL COSTS.

SOME VERY MINOR TEXTUAL REVISIONS.

AGAIN, THIS IS UP FOR ITS FIVE-YEAR REVIEW.

IT WAS LAST REVIEWED BY THE BOARD IN DECEMBER OF 2015.

NEXT IS DJFA.

PURCHASING PROCEDURES AND PUBLIC-PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION SERVICES.

NO RECOMMENDED CHANGES HERE.

YOU WILL SEE FROM THE LAST REVIEW DATE IT IS COMING UP ON ITS FIVE-YEAR RENEW TIME SHORTLY.

IT IS JUST A COUPLE OF MONTHS.

THE ONE THAT'S ARE JUST ABOUT TO HIT THEIR FIVE-YEAR REVIEW CYCLE WITHIN THE POLICIES WE WANTED TO INCLUDE IN THIS GROUP SO ALL OF THE FINANCIAL SERVICES POLICY REVISIONS ARE ALIGNED AND THEY ARE ON THE SAME REVIEW CYCLE.

NEXT WE HAVE DJG, VENDOR RELATIONS.

AGAIN IT IS UP FOR ITS FIVE-YEAR REVIEW.

THE CROSS-REFERENCES HAVE BEEN UPDATED AND NO OTHER REAL CHANGES HERE.

NEXT IS DK.

PAYMENT PROCEDURES.

AGAIN, NO REALLY PROPOSED CHANGES, JUST AN UPDATE ON THE CROSS-REFERENCES.

THIS IS ANOTHER POLICY THAT'S GONNA HIT ITS FIVE-YEAR MARK IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS.

NEXT IS DLC, EXPENSE REIMBURSMENTS.

THERE ARE MINOR TEXT ACTUAL REVISIONS TO ALIGN WITH ACPS PRACTICE.

BASICALLY WHAT THOSE REFER TO IS THE FACT THAT EXPENSES ARE NOT NEARLY REIMBURSED FOR TRIPS ONLY.

EXPENSES MAY BE REIMBURSED FOR OTHER ACTIVITIES.

LANGUAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED TO REFLECT THAT.

AND THEN THE ACCOMPANYING REGULATION, DLC-R WHICH IS BUSINESS, MEALS AND TRAVEL REGULATIONS AND PROCEDURES.

AGAIN, THIS HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED SINCE AUGUST OF 2013, SO THE RECOMMENDATION

[00:35:01]

IS WHOLESALE TO SWAP ALL OF THIS CONTENT OUT WITH THE MOST UPDATED AND CURRENT VERSION OF THE TRAVEL REGULATIONS AND BUSINESS MEALS PROCEDURES.

I'M SURE YOU HAVE ALL SCROLLED THROUGH THIS.

THIS IS A LONG DOCUMENT.

I WON'T SCROLL THROUGH EVERY PAGE, BUT THIS IS THE LATEST AND MOST UP-TO-DATE VERSION OF THE REGULATION.

THAT CONCLUDES THE FINANCIAL SERVICES POLICY.

NO MAJOR CHANGES FOR THIS EVENING.

BUT I'M HAPPY TO TAKE QUESTIONS ON THAT PORTION OF THE POLICY REVIEW.

>> THANK YOU, JENNIFER.

WE ARE NOW OPENING THE FLOOR TO QUESTIONS FROM THE BOARD.

AND IT LOOKS LIKE WE DON'T HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

>> OKAY.

>> THANK YOU, JENNIFER.

>> SURE.

I AM GOING TO SHARE MY SCREEN THEN AGAIN FOR OUR NEXT POLICY.

WE WILL MOVE ON AND WE HAVE ONE INSTRUCTIONAL POLICY THIS EVENING.

LET ME SHARE MY SCREEN HERE.

THIS IS -- ACTUALLY I MISS SPOKE.

I SHOULDN'T SAY POLICY.

THIS IS REGULATION.

THIS IS IGBC-R.

IT IS PARENT/GUARDIAN AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENT REGULATIONS.

THE POLICY ITSELF, IGBC HAS NO PROPOSED REVISION.

HOWEVER, REGARDING THE REGULATION, AND I SHOULD POINT OUT THAT THE REVISIONS FOR THE REGULATION REALLY BEGIN ON PAGE 5, SECTION 3.

AND THAT IS THE SECTION RELATED TO TITLE 1 PROGRAM.

I AM JUST GONNA SCROLL THERE QUICKLY AND THEN WE CAN ADDRESS THE REVISION.

AND WE BRING YOU THESE REVISIONS THIS EVENING BECAUSE OVER THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS THE U.S.

DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION HAS PLACED A GROWING EMPHASIS ON EXPANDING THE DEFINITION OF WHAT USED TO BE CALLED PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT, BUT IS REALLY NOW REFERRED TO AS PARENT AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENT.

THIS IS TO NOTE THAT THE INVOLVEMENT AND ENGAGEMENT ARE NOT REALLY THE SAME THING.

ENGAGEMENT IS FOR ROBUST AND AUTHENTIC.

ALSO THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION HAS EXPANDED THE DEFINITION OF WHO MAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR -- RESPONSIBLE FOR OR WHO SUPPORTS A CHILD.

THERE ARE MORE ADULTS IN THE CHILD'S LIFE NOT JUST THE PARENT.

OUR TERMINOLOGY IS EXPANDING, ESPECIALLY TO ALIGN WITH THE EVERY STUDENT SUCCEEDS ACT FROM PARENT INVOLVEMENT TO PARENT ENGAGEMENT.

AND SO THESE REVISIONS ARE PROPOSED THIS EVENING REALLY TO REFLECT THAT CHANGE OVER TIME DEVELOPMENT AND THE UNDERSTANDING OF INVOLVEMENT VERSUS ENGAGEMENT.

IT IS PARTICULARLY AS 20US C-SECTION 613 STATES, AN AGENCY OR SCHOOL DIVISION MAY RECEIVE FUNDS ONLY IF SUCH AGENCY CONDUCTS OUT REACH TO ALL PARENTS AND FAMILY MEMBERS AND IMPLEMENTS PROGRAMS AND ACTIVITIES AND PROCEDURES FOR THE INVOLVEMENT OF PARENTS IN PROGRAMS ASSISTED UNDER THIS PART.

SO WE ARE LEGALLY REQUIRED TO HAVE THIS POLICY TO SELL OUT HOW THESE RESPONSIBILITIES AND HOW THIS ENGAGEMENT LOOKS AT THE DIVISION LEVEL AND AT THE SCHOOL LEVEL FOR SCHOOLS WHO QUALIFY FOR TITLE ONE FUNDS.

AND WE ARE BRINGING OUR LANGUAGE IN ALIGNMENT WITH THE EVERY STUDENT SUCCEEDS ACT WHICH REQUIRES EACH SCHOOL DIVISION TO HAVE A PARENT AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENT POLICY.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO NOTE THAT THE REVISIONS, AS REQUIRED, HAVE BEEN REVIEWED BY OUR DIVISION TITLE 1 FAMILY ADVISORY COMMITTEE.

I AM HAPPY TO TAKE QUESTIONS ON THE REVISIONS TO THIS REGULATION.

>> THANK YOU.

OKAY, SO WE HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS.

I AM GOING TO START WITH MS. THORTON.

>> THANK YOU, CHAIR ALDERTON.

>> THANK YOU.

I JUST HAVE A SMALL LIKE PROCEDURAL UPDATE THAT I THINK MAY NEED TO BE ADDED TO THIS REGULATION.

IN SECTION C -- I DON'T KNOW IF WE CAN PULL THAT UP REALLY QUICKLY.

>> SURE.

HOLD ON.

WRONG DOCUMENT HERE.

HERE WE GO.

>> AWESOME.

I THINK IT MIGHT BE PAGE 4.

>> THANK YOU.

HERE WE GO.

SECTION C.

>> YES.

I MAY HAVE THE SECTION WRONG.

[00:40:03]

IT IS THE ONE ON THE REVIEW AND REPORTING.

>> OKAY.

I THINK IT MAY BE ONE PAGE UP FROM THAT.

THERE YOU GO.

SO I BELIEVE -- WE JUST NEED TO UPDATE A FEW OF THE DEPARTMENT NAMES AND THE STRATEGIC PLAN NEEDS TO BE UPDATED HERE AS WELL.

>> THAT'S A GREAT CATCH.

>> I'M NOT SURE IF WE WANT THE NEW OFFICE -- I GET THE NAMES MIXED UP.

OFFICE OF COMMUNITY AND PARTNERSHIP AND ENGAGEMENT TO PROVIDE THE UPDATE OR IF IT WILL STILL BE THE OVERARCHING NEW DEPARTMENT WE CREATED.

EITHER WAY I THINK THAT NEEDS TO BE FLUSHED OUT A LITTLE.

>> GREAT.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR NOTING THAT.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR NOTING THAT.

WE JUST MISSED THAT.

>> AWESOME.

NO PROBLEM.

THANKS.

>> THANK YOU, MS. THORTON.

DR. RIEF?

>> THANK YOU.

I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR POLICY.

WHILE ARE YOU ON THAT PAGE, IF YOU CAN SCROLL UP A LITTLE BIT -- STOP RIGHT THERE.

THAT'S GOOD.

THERE WERE TWO THINGS IN HERE THAT I JUST THOUGHT THIS MIGHT BE A TIME TO BRING UP.

ONE IS UNDER SHARING RESPONSIBILITY.

AND AGAIN THIS IS APPLYING TO ALL OF THE SCHOOLS, BUT IT SAID THAT SCHOOLS AND THE DIVISION SHALL MAKE EFFORTS TO RECRUIT AND SUPPORT -- THIS IS NUMBER B UNDER 5.

SHALL MAKE EFFORTS TO RECRUIT AND SUPPORT PARTICIPATION BY PARENTS, GUARDIANS AND FAMILIES REPRESENTING ALL STUDENT GROUPS ON ADVISORY COMMITTEES, AND SCHOOL ORGANIZATION THAT'S INFLUENCE SCHOOL POLICIES, PRACTICES AND PROGRAMS. I JUST WANTED TO HIGHLIGHT THAT BECAUSE I KNOW SOME OF US ATTENDED WITH ALDERTON THE MEETING OF THE SCHOOL BOARD ADVISORY COMMITTEES, AND THIS WAS A TOPIC OF CONVERSATION ABOUT HOW TO GET MORE REPRESENTATION AND PARTICULARLY DIVERSE REPRESENTATION ON OUR SCHOOL BOARD ADVISORY COMMITTEES.

WE WERE TALKING ABOUT HOW WE MIGHT DO THAT, AND I JUST WANTED TO PUT IN FOR FOLKS TO BE THINKING ABOUT THAT.

I DON'T KNOW IF WE WANT TO BE MORE SPECIFIC.

WE TALKED ABOUT THE BY-LAWS OF THE COMMITTEE.

MAYBE PUTTING IN MORE SPECIFIC TAILORING AND THE TYPE OF FOLKS WE HOPE TO RECRUIT TO THE COMMITTEE.

IF ANYBODY WANTS TO ADD A COMMENT ON THAT.

THE OTHER THING I WANTED TO POINT OUT IS NUMBER 4, THIS SOMETHING THAT REALLY STOOD OUT TO ME.

I KNOW THIS POLICY IS GOING TO BE LOOKED AT FROM OUR EQUITY AUDIT STANDPOINT, SO I THINK THAT'S REALLY GOOD.

BUT THIS REALLY STOOD OUT TO ME.

PARENTS AND GUARDIANS AND FAMILIES SHALL BE EMPOWERED TO ADVOCATE FOR THEIR CHILDREN AND THE CHILDREN OF OTHER FAMILIES TO ENSURE THAT ALL STUDENTS ARE TREATED FAIRLY AND HAVE ACCESS TO LEARNING OPPORTUNITY THAT'S SUPPORT ACHIEVEMENT.

I JUST BRING THAT UP BECAUSE I FIND THAT IS A LITTLE ABUSED SOMETIMES WITHIN OUR SCHOOL DIVISION, I GUESS YOU COULD SAY IN THE SENSE THAT -- I JUST THINK IT IS INTERESTING THAT WE ARE EMPOWERING OTHER -- EMPOWERING FAMILIES TO SPEAK ON BEHALF OF OTHER FAMILIES AND THEIR CHILDREN.

I JUST THOUGHT THAT WAS INTERESTING AND I DON'T KNOW IF ANYBODY -- IF DR. HUTCHINGS OR ANYONE WANTS TO SPEAK ABOUT THE INTENT BEHIND THAT.

I THINK THAT MIGHT NEED TO BE FLUSHED OUT A LITTLE BIT.

THAT'S A REALLY INTERESTING STATEMENT THERE, IN MY OPINION.

>> DR. RIEF, I THINK YOU ARE VERY INSIGHTFUL.

ARE YOU ALL HEARING AN ECHO? GOT IT.

I THINK YOU BRING UP A REALLY GOOD POINT IN REGARDS TO SPEAKING UP FOR OTHER FAMILIES.

AND I AGREE.

WE HAVE SEEN SOME ABUSE WITH THAT LANGUAGE OF I AM SPEAKING ON BEHALF OF X, RIGHT? SOME EXAMPLES, PEOPLE SAY I AM SPEAKING FOR BLACK AND BROWN COMMUNITIES.

AND WHEN I ASK A QUESTION THEY ARE NOT SPEAKING ON THE BLACK AND BROWN COMMUNITIES.

THEY MAY HAVE BEEN SPEAKING ON WHAT THEY HAVE READ, BUT NOT WHAT OUR COMMUNITY IS ASKING FOR.

I THINK YOU RAISE A REALLY GOOD POINT AND THAT WAS A GOOD AND INSIGHTFUL CATCH.

>> I HAVE SEEN THAT HAPPEN A LOT AND I OFTEN JUST WANTED TO ENCOURAGE FAMILIES SOMETIMES.

COULD YOU JUST ADVOCATE FOR YOUR FAMILY AND WHAT YOU NEED AND LET OTHER PEOPLE KIND OF SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.

I CERTAINLY UNDERSTAND THE INTENT BEHIND THIS ASPECT OF THE POLICY, BUT I HOPE WHEN THE EQUITY POLICY COMMITTEE IS LOOKING AT IT, YOU CAN CERTAINLY DISCUSS IT.

[00:45:05]

IF FOLKS HAVE ANY FEEDBACK ON THAT, I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE IT WITH ME.

AND THEN MY OTHER QUESTION WAS MORE ON THE TITLE 1 SECTION.

I NOTICED MS. MITCHELL AND MS. HUFFMAN ARE ON THE CALL AND THEY WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK ON THIS.

I WAS CURIOUS IF YOU COULD TALK A LITTLE MORE -- THIS IS SCROLLING DOWN TO THE TITLE 1 SECTION.

IT IS NOT REALLY A PARTICULAR ASPECT -- THERE IS NOT A PARTICULAR PAGE I AM REALLY FOCUSED ON HERE, BUT I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD TALK ABOUT WHY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PUTS THIS PRIORITIZATION ON ENGAGEMENT OF FAMILIES FOR TITLE ONE SCHOOLS? WHY IS THAT IMPORTANT? I CAN SEE THAT THIS IS SOMETHING THAT A LOT OF SCHOOL DIVISIONS WOULD DO AS A CHECK THE BOX KIND OF AN EXERCISE TO MEET THIS GRANT GUIDELINE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU COULD SPEAK ABOUT HOW EFFECTIVE YOU FEEL WE ARE ENGAGING IN THIS WORK.

WHY IS THIS WORK IMPORTANT? AND HOW EFFECTIVELY ARE WE DOING IT? I NOTICED THAT IT LISTS SOME THINGS WE ARE SUPPOSED TO DO, AND THEN THERE ARE SOME NEGATIVES.

ONE OF MY CHILDREN'S TEACHERS TALK ABOUT MUST DO'S AND MAY DO'S.

THERE ARE MUST DOS AND MAY DOES IN HERE.

I WAS CURIOUS HOW FAR ARE WE TAKING THIS? AND IN SCHOOL THERE WAS RECENTLY AN ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE PARENT MEETINGS FOR THE TITLE 1 SCHOOLS.

I WAS WONDERING IF YOU CAN SPEAK ABOUT HOW MUCH ENGAGEMENT WE ARE ACTUALLY -- YOU KNOW, HOW IS THE ATTENDANCE AT THOSE MEETINGS? HOW DO YOU FEEL WE ARE DOING TRYING TO MEET THE INTENTIONS HERE OF THIS POLICY?

>> SURE.

DR. RIEF, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT QUESTION.

AS YOU NOTED, NATALIE MITCHELL IS ON THE CALL SO I WILL PASS IT TO HER.

SHE IS THE DIRECTOR OF TITLE 1 PROGRAMS AND SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT.

>> THANK YOU DR. RIEF FOR THE QUESTION AND I THINK IT IS A GREAT QUESTION.

THERE ARE A LOT OF PARTS TO YOUR QUESTION SO IF I DON'T FULLY ANSWER IT, I MAY ASK YOU TO REMIND ME OF PARTS.

I WILL START AT THE END.

YES.

TITLE 1, IN TITLE 1 FAMILY ENGAGEMENT IT IS KEY AND AS YOU NOTED THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS IT HAS BECOME A MORE FOCAL POINT FOR THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND EVEN TO THE EXTENT OF CONSIDERING INCREASING THE AMOUNT OF FUNDS THAT IS SET ASIDE IN TITLE ONE FOR THIS.

SO THERE IS A SET ASIDE OF FUNDS THAT THE SCHOOL DIVISION USES SPECIFICALLY FOR THE PURPOSES OF PARENT AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENT.

ONE THING I CAN SAY IS HISTORICALLY AND TRADITIONALLY SUPPORT IN TITLE ONE HAS BEEN STRONG.

THAT IS REFLECTED IN THE FAMILY SURVEYS WE SEND OUT.

A LOT OF THE INFORMATION WE GET BACK TELLS US THAT WE DO SEE MORE FAMILIES, PARTICULARLY OUR BLACK AND BROWN FAMILIES AND OUR NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING FAMILIES ARE FEELING MORE COMFORTABLE TO BE AN ACTIVE PART OF THEIR CHILDREN'S EDUCATION.

IN FACT, IN OUR LAST FEDERAL AUDIT THREE YEARS AGO WE WERE COMMENDED FOR THE AMOUNT OF PARENT AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENTS WE DO IN TITLE 1 SCHOOLS.

WE GOT SOME HIGH COMMENDATIONS.

WE TYPICALLY SEE REALLY GREAT TURNOUT.

WE HAVE THESE TYPES OF EVENTS AND WE ARE IN SCHOOL TYPICALLY.

THE TURNOUT IS USUALLY FABULOUS.

IT HAS BEEN A LOT MORE CHALLENGING THIS YEAR, AS YOU CAN IMAGINE.

A LOT OF THAT IS FOLKS ARE REALLY STRUGGLING TO COME TO ONE MORE ZOOM MEETING, RIGHT? IT IS HARD TO GET FOLKS THERE.

WE HAVE HAD A LOT OF CONVERSATIONS WITH THE TITLE 1 PRINCIPALS ON HOW WE INCREASE THE ENGAGEMENT IN THE YEAR.

WE HAVE SEEN SOME REALLY, REALLY CREATIVE IDEAS.

FOR EXAMPLE, PURCHASING A SET OF BOOKS.

ASKING FAMILIES TO COME IN A SAFE MANNER TO PICK UP THE BOOKS AND WE DO A READ ALLOWED AT HOME WHERE THE CHILDREN HAVE THE SAME BOOKS AND WE ARE DOING IT TOGETHER OVER THE COMPUTER.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR WAYS TO MAKE SURE WE CAN KEEP OUR FAMILY ENGAGEMENT AS ENGAGING AS POSSIBLE.

GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES, THIS YEAR JUST HAS NOT LOOKED LIKE A TYPICAL YEAR UNFORTUNATELY.

>> I WILL ECHO WHAT NATALIE SAID.

WE ALL KNOW THAT -- THE REASON WE ARE BEING SUCCESSFUL IN THIS TIME OF VIRTUAL KIND OF ENGAGEMENT.

WE HAVE STRONG ROOTS THROUGH OUR LIAISONS AND THROUGH THE STATES AND SO WE HAVE THESE RELATIONSHIPS ALREADY ESTABLISHED WITH MANY FAMILIES.

AND THAT'S WHY IT HAS BEEN SO SUCCESSFUL AND MOVING INTO A VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT

[00:50:02]

TO BE HONEST.

BEFORE WE WENT INTO COVID AND VIRTUAL WE HAD OUR EVENING AND THERE WAS NO ROOM.

YOU COULDN'T MOVE IN THE ROOM BECAUSE THERE WERE SO MANY PARENTS INVOLVED.

THAT'S TRUE TO THE WORK THEY DO.

IT IS TRANSLATED TO A NICE PARTICIPATION AND ENGAGEMENT AND A VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT.

THE ROOTS WE HAVE SET HAVE REALLY PAID OFF IN TERMS OF RELATIONSHIPS AND ENGAGING FAMILIES.

AND THEN I JUST WANT TO REVERT BACK TO WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT ADVOCATING FOR OTHER FAMILIES.

YOU HAD A QUESTION ABOUT THAT IN THAT POLICY.

THERE ARE BEST PRACTICES OF FINDING THE ADVOCATES IN THE COMMUNITIES THAT CAN REALLY HELP WITH HELPING OTHER FAMILIES UNDERSTAND EVEN LET'S SAY NAVIGATING THROUGH A SCHOOL SYSTEM.

I WILL GO BACK TO OUR IMARIC FAMILIES.

WE HAVE A FAMILY THERE THAT DOES A REALLY GOOD JOB OF HELPING OTHER FAMILIES UNDERSTANDING HOW THEY CAN BE ENGAGED.

YOU'RE RIGHT.

WHEN IT IS DONE RIGHT AND IT IS NOT JUST, HEY, YOU NEED TO DO THIS, THIS, THIS, FAMILIES A, B AND C.

THAT'S NOT WHAT IT IS.

I THINK WHAT THE SPIRIT OF THAT IS I'M HERE FOR YOU AS SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS.

A PARENT WHO UNDERSTANDS AND MAYBE YOU DON'T -- YOU JUST COME TO ACPS.

I WANT TO HELP YOU BECAUSE AS AN IMPARIC FAMILY TOO I CAN SHOW YOU HOW I CAN BE SUCCESSFUL AND I CAN BE ENGAGED.

I THINK THAT'S THE SPIRIT OF THAT IN THE POLICY.

>> THANK YOU.

THANK YOU FOR THOSE COMMENTS.

I THOUGHT THAT WAS A REALLY IMPORTANT POINT, MR. HUFFMAN.

I HAVE SEEN THAT TOO WITH THE NEIGHBORS TO FRIENDS PROGRAM AND THE GROUPS.

ALSO POINTING OUT THAT THE RELATIONSHIPS WE HAD BUILT PRIOR TO THE PANDEMIC HITTING IS REALLY WHAT HAS ENABLED US TO, YOU KNOW, HAVE THE SUCCESSES WE HAVE HAD WITH REACHING OUT TO OUR FAMILIES.

THAT'S REALLY GREAT.

ONE FINAL FOLLOW-UP QUESTION.

YOU KNOW, THE RELATIONSHIPS -- AND THIS WORK IS KIND OF HARDER TO MAYBE MEASURE, BUT HOW ARE WE KIND OF -- I'M ASSUMING THERE IS A GRANT REPORT FOR THE TITLE 1 THAT HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS STUFF, BUT HOW ARE WE JUST MEASURING AND REPORTING OUT ON THESE PRACTICES?

>> DO YOU WANT TO JUMP IN FIRST?

>> WE DO THE SAME TYPE OF REPORTING PROBABLY THAT NATALIE DOES.

WE ARE NOT ONLY DOING ATTENDANCE CHECK INS, BUT DOING EVALUATIONS AND SURVEYS.

HEY PARENTS, DID YOU GET WHAT YOU NEEDED OUT OF THIS ENGAGEMENT OPPORTUNITY? WHAT CAN WE DO DIFFERENTLY? HOW CAN YOU HELP? DO YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER TO DO SOME THINGS? WE HAVE A SERIES OF QUESTIONS WE ASK IN MULTIPLE LANGUAGES TO PARENTS AND FAMILIES AFTER EVERY SESSION SAYING, HEY, WHAT DID YOU GET? WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHAT DO WE NEED TO CHANGE? AND THEN INTERNATIONALLY WE COME BACK AND LOOK AT THE ATTENDANTS' LISTS.

INTERNATIONALLY, WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO DIFFERENTLY? WHAT WORKED? WHAT DIDN'T? WHAT IS BEST PRACTICE? WHAT DIDN'T HIT THE MARK THAT WE WANTED TO.

WE ARE CONTINUALLY, AS MY TEAM CAN TELL YOU, DO REFLECTION AND DATA ANALYSIS ON EVERYTHING WE DO IN FAMILY ENGAGEMENT.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH AND THANK YOU FOR THE IMPORTANT WORK THAT YOU ARE ALL DOING.

>> THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.

>> THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU, DR. RIEF.

MS. GREENE.

>> THANK YOU, CHAIR ALDERTON.

>> FOR WHOEVER WANTS TO ANSWER, DO ANY PARENTS ON THE DIVISION TITLE 1 ADVISORY COMMITTEE, AND CAN YOU TALK ABOUT THE ROLES AND HOW YOU SUPPORT OUR TITLE 1 SCHOOLS OR HOW THAT COMMITTEE SUPPORTS THOSE SCHOOLS.

>> I'M HAPPY TO TAKE THE QUESTION.

IT IS COMPRISED SOLELY OF PARENT IMPACT.

THAT'S THE PURPOSE OF THE IMPACT SO THE PARENTS HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE FORUM TO LOOK AT POLICIES LIKE THIS.

THERE WAS A LANGUAGE CHANGE THAT WAS SUGGESTED IN HERE BY ONE OF THE PARENTS THAT IS ON THE COMMITTEE, FOR EXAMPLE.

AND SO THE COMMITTEE ITSELF EXISTS TO INFORM PARENTS ABOUT THINGS LIKE THIS PARTICULAR POLICY AND ABOUT THEIR RIGHTS IN TITLE 1 SCHOOLS AND ABOUT HOW PARENTS SHOULD BE ENGAGED AND INVOLVED IN THE KINDS OF DECISIONS THAT WE MAKE ABOUT, FOR EXAMPLE, THE FUNDS I TALKED ABOUT THAT SET ASIDE FOR PARENT AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENT, AND FOR THEM TO ACT AS A CONDUIT FROM SCHOOLS TO THE CENTRAL

[00:55:03]

OFFICE.

IN SEVERAL OF THE TITLE 1 SCHOOLS WE HAVE A SIMILAR FUNCTION, THE TITLE 1 FAMILY ADVISORY COMMITTEE WHERE THEY CAN PROVIDE ADVISING ON WHAT HAPPENS THIS THEIR INDIVIDUAL SCHOOLS.

BUT THIS COMMITTEE FUNCTIONS IN THE SAME WAY AT THE DIVISION LEVEL.

YES, TOTALLY COMPRISED OF PARENTS.

I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO IS NOT AN ACPS PARENT.

>> THAT IS SO EXCITING.

I WOULD LOVE TO COME TO A MEETING SOMETIME.

>> WE WILL INVITE YOU.

ABSOLUTELY.

>> THANK YOU.

>> MS. GREENE, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR QUESTION.

DR. RIEF, YOU ELUDED TO THIS EARLIER.

I WAS THINKING TITLE 1 WOULD BE A GREAT EXAMPLE AS MS. MITCHELL HAS POINTED OUT TO YOUR CONCERN OR QUERY ABOUT DIVERSITY AND DIVERSITY ENGAGEMENT.

TITLE 1 IS ONE OF THE FEW PROGRAMS WITH FEDERAL GUIDELINES THAT SAYS THIS IS HOW YOU HELP PARENTS ENGAGE IN SCHOOL GOVERNMENTS AND PARTICIPATION.

SO THEY REQUIRE NOT ONE-WAY COMMUNICATION, BUT TWO-WAY COMMUNICATION.

AND THEY NEED TO SIT ON THE GOVERNMENT BODIES AND WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO PREPARE FAMILIES WHO TRADITIONALLY MAY NOT HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN THOSE ROLES.

THE FEDERAL GUIDELINES ARE VERY EXPLICIT.

THAT IS DIFFERENT FOR THE TITLE ONE PROGRAMS THAN THE GENERAL PROGRAMS OTHERWISE.

THEY ARE A GREAT LOOK TO IN TERMS OF HOW YOU NOT ONLY BUILD THE CAPACITY TO DO THAT, BUT HELP PARENTS TO UNDERSTAND THE PATHWAY TO GETTING TO THAT POINT.

>> THANK YOU.

AND ON THAT NOTE JUST TO PUT A LITTLE PLUG IN FOR DR. RIEF'S FIRST COMMENT, SOME OF YOU RECEIVED AN E-MAIL FROM ME REQUESTING IF YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED IN DOING SOME OF THAT WORK FOR OUR ADVISORY COMMITTEES.

SO IF YOU DID THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO GET THIS WORK DONE.

THANK YOU.

THAT'S MY PLUG.

ALL RIGHT.

AND DO WE HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS POLICY BEFORE WE MOVE ON? THANK YOU.

JENNIFER, I WILL TURN IT BACK OVER TO YOU.

>> SURE.

THANK YOU.

WE HAVE ONE FINAL POLICY AND THIS IS JM MANAGEMENT OF STUDENT BEHAVIORS IN EMERGENCY SITUATIONS.

WHILE THIS POLICY IS UP FOR ITS FIVE-YEAR REVIEW, IT IS ALSO A MAJOR REVISION I'M SURE YOU HAVE SEEN WHEN PREPARING FOR YOUR MEETING AND LOOKING THROUGH YOUR MATERIALS.

IT HAS UNDERGONE A MAJOR REVIEW TO REFLECT THE NEW VIRGINIA BOARD OF EDUCATION SECLUSION AND RESTRAINT REGULATION THAT BECAME EFFECTIVE JUST THIS JANUARY 1ST OF THIS YEAR.

AND TO DISCUSS IT FURTHER I WOULD LIKE TO PASS IT TO MS. TERRY WERNAR.

I KNOW SHE WILL ALSO DISCUSS IT WITH THE BOARD BY ALSO BRINGING IN DR. STONE WHO IS OUR BEHAVIORAL SERVICES COORDINATOR.

>> GOOD EVENING, DR. HUTCHINGS AND MEMBERS OF THE BOARD.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY.

WE HAVE BEFORE US A VERY WEIGHTY AND MEATY DOCUMENT.

AS NOTED, THE VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION TWO YEARS AGO, AND MAYBE JUST A LITTLE MORE THAN THAT, KIND OF LOSE TRACK OF THE LAST YEAR, UNDERTOOK A PROCESS BY WHICH THEY REVISED THE STATE SECLUSION AND RESTRAINT POLICY.

THAT WAS THE RESULT OF SOME ACTIONS BY THE OFFICE OF CIVIL RIGHTS AND SOME OF OUR NEIGHBORING JURISDICTIONS.

AND AS A RESULT, WE HAVE A NEW POLICY IN FRONT OF YOU TONIGHT.

THERE WAS A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF WORK THAT WENT INTO THIS.

MS. ABRIZIZI AND DR. STONE AND AT TIMES IN CONVERSATION WITH MS. ALDERTON AND REVIEW OF THE CIAC HAVE PRESENTED THIS DRAFT TO YOU.

THERE ARE, I'M SURE, AREAS WHERE YOU WILL HAVE LOTS OF QUESTIONS AND WE ARE PREPARED TO ANSWER THOSE TONIGHT.

I HAVE WITH ME DR. STONE WHO IS THE COORDINATOR OF ALL OF OUR CITY-WIDE PROGRAMS. AARON WAS VERY INVOLVED AS IT, WOULDED THROUGH THE STATE.

THERE WERE NUMEROUS OPPORTUNITIES FOR PUBLIC COMMENT AS WELL AS COMMENT DURING TOWN HALLS.

AARON WAS OUR REPRESENTATIVE DURING THAT PROCESS.

SO TO MOVE THROUGH THIS, WHAT I HAVE ASKED DR. STONE TONIGHT IS TO GO THROUGH -- WE WILL SCROLL THROUGH AND WE WILL HIT THE POINTS WE THINK ARE PARTICULARLY RELEVANT AND THAT WE WANT TO BRING TO YOUR ATTENTION TONIGHT, AND THEN WE WILL BE

[01:00:05]

HAPPY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS.

THANK YOU.

ERIN?

>> THANK YOU MS. WERNER.

AND THANK YOU, SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS FOR HAVING US.

AND AS MENTIONED THIS IS A VERY DIFFERENT DOCUMENT.

IF YOU REVIEWED THE DOCUMENTS THAT WAS THREE PAGES AND THIS NEW POLICY IS 17 PAGES.

IT HAS A GREATER AMOUNT OF SPECIFICITY AND CLARITY THROUGHOUT THE DOCUMENT.

I WOULD LIKE TO WALK YOU THROUGH SOME OF THE MAIN POINTS.

AT THE BEGINNING WE START WITH SECTION 1.

THAT HAS THE DEFINITIONS.

IN THOSE DEFINITIONS YOU WILL SEE CLEAR, DETAILED DEFINITIONS FOR THE DIFFERENT TERMS. THIS PREVENTS AMBIGUITY AND HELPS UNDERSTANDING.

THERE ARE A NUMBER OF THINGS LISTED SO THERE IS UNDERSTANDING THROUGHOUT THE DOCUMENT WHAT SPECIFIC TERMS MEAN WHICH ARE ACPS SPECIFIC SUCH AS THE CITY-WIDE PROGRAM OR GENERAL TERMS USED WITHIN THE FIELD SUCH AS AN FBA.

GOING FURTHER DOWN IN SECTION TWO, THIS IS THE PROHIBITED ACTIONS.

THESE ARE THE ACTIONS THAT ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN OUR SCHOOLS.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO BRING YOUR ATTENTION TO IS -- AND THIS LIST HAS REMAINED VERY CONSISTENT WITH THE SCHOOL -- WITH THE VDOE'S LIST OF PROHIBITED ACTIONS.

I WOULD LIKE TO DRAW YOUR ATTENTION TO LETTER I UNDER SECTION 2.

THIS IS WHERE ACPS HAS EXTENDED BEYOND THE VOE REGULATIONS.

THE AREA OF SECLUSION, AND HAS RESTRICTED ITS USE TO JUST WITHIN THE CITY-WIDE PROGRAM FOR STUDENTS WITH EMOTIONAL DISABILITIES.

AND SO THAT'S ONE AREA THAT WE HAVE GONE ABOVE AND BEYOND.

THE NEXT SECTION, SECTION THREE, DISCUSSES THE USE OF PHYSICAL RESTRAINT.

THIS OUTLINES SITUATIONS IN WHICH RESTRAINT MAY BE CONSIDERED.

WHEN WE DO OUR TRAINING FOR STAFF THAT ARE GIVEN THE MORE ADVANCED TRAINING FOR PHYSICAL INTERVENTIONS, THAT'S A PHRASE THAT WE USE QUITE FREQUENTLY THAT THIS MAY BE CONSIDERED BECAUSE WE WANT TO MAKE SURE IT IS CLEAR TO ALL OF THOSE PARTICIPANTS THAT THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT WE TAKE LIGHTLY, NOR SOMETHING WE WANT TO ENGAGE IN AS A PRIMARY MEANS OF MANAGING AN EMERGENCY SITUATION.

WHEN I READ ITEMS A THROUGH E UNDER THIS SECTION, I FIND AS THE TRAINER OF OUR CPI TRAINING THAT THE EXPECTATIONS OF THIS POLICY VERY CLOSELY ALIGN WITH THE TRAINING WE'VE HAD.

WE HAVE BEEN USING CPI TRAINING IN ACPS FOR MORE THAN THE PAST 10 YEARS.

MATTER OF FACT, THE CPI ORGANIZATION CREATED A DOCUMENT TO DEMONSTRATE HOW THE VIRGINIA REGULATIONS CORRELATE WITH THEIR TRAINING AND THEIR MODULES AND CONTENT.

THAT'S ON THEIR WEBSITE FOR ANYONE TO SEE.

SO IT REALLY DOES ALIGN WITH THE TRAINING IN REGARDS TO ENSURING THAT STUDENTS ARE ONLY REQUIRING PHYSICAL INTERVENTION FOR THE LEAST AMOUNT OF TIME POSSIBLE.

IT'S A TEAM APPROACH AND THE TEAM APPROACH IS THERE FOR THE STUDENT'S SAFETY AND TO ENSURE APPROPRIATE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE TECHNIQUES BY STAFF MEMBERS AS WELL AS PROVIDING CONSTANT VISUAL MONITORING OF THE ENVIRONMENT FOR EVERYONE ELSE'S SAFETY.

AS WE SCROLL TO SECTION 4 UNDER SECLUSION, THIS IS AN AREA -- I WILL GIVE JENNIFER JUST A SECOND BECAUSE I KNOW IT GETS DIZZYING TO WATCH THINGS SCROLL DOWN TOO FAST.

THESE ARE THE SECTIONS FROM OUR PREVIOUS REGULATIONS.

IN THE SECTION FOR SECLUSION THIS IS SIMILAR TO WHAT WAS UNDER THE PHYSICAL RESTRAINT SECTION.

THIS IS OUTLINING HOW SECLUSION MAY BE CONSIDERED AND ALWAYS USED AS A LAST RESORT.

IT REITERATES THE NEED FOR CONTINUOUS MONITORING.

AND OF COURSE RELEASING AS SOON AS THE IMMINENT RISK DIMINISHES.

IF WE COULD GO TO THE NEXT SECTION WHICH IS SECTION 5.

THE STANDARDS OF SECLUSION.

IN THIS SECTION WE ARE OUTLINING THE EXPECTATIONS FOR ROOMS THAT MIGHT BE DESIGNATED FOR THIS PURPOSE.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SUFFICIENT SIZE, LIGHTING, VENTILATION AND ALLOWING FOR

[01:05:04]

VISUAL CONTACT AT ALL TIMES.

IN ITEM C, IN THE FIRST PARAGRAPH THIS IS REALLY EXPLAINING THE NEED THAT STAFF EXAMINED MULTIPLE FACTORS BEFORE CONSIDERING THE USE OF SECLUSION.

AND IT INCLUDES AGE, HEALTH AND BACKGROUND WHICH REALLY IS CONNECTED TO THAT -- TO ANY HISTORY OF TRAUMA OR ANY OTHER ADVERSE CHILDHOOD EVENTS.

IN PARAGRAPH 2 OF THE SAME SECTION, THIS IS THE SECTION THAT ACPS INCLUDES THAT GOES BEYOND THE VDOE REGULATIONS.

IN THIS SECTION WE INDICATE A TIME FRAME WITHIN WHICH STAFF ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE AN ASSESSMENT OF THE STUDENT AND A TIME FRAME WITHIN WHICH SECLUSION MUST BE ENDED AND DETERMINED NEXT STEPS AND AN ALTERNATE ACTION TO BE TAKEN.

THAT IS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT IS OUTLINED IN THE VDOE REGULATIONS AND WE HAVE ADDED HERE THROUGH ACPS.

IN PARAGRAPH 3, THIS IS REALLY DISCUSSING THE NEED FOR STAFF TO FURTHER FACILITATE DE ESCALATION IF DANGEROUS BEHAVIORS HAVE REDUCED, THEN IT IS DIRECTING STAFF TO JOIN THE STUDENT AND FURTHER SUPPORT DE ESCALATION.

THAT'S IMPORTANT BEFORE RETURNING TO THEIR REGULAR CLASSROOM SCHEDULE.

IN SECTION 6, THE DOCUMENT AND REPORTING REALLY HAS HAD A BIG CHANGE.

THIS IS SPECIFIC AND DETAILED TIMELINES FOR REPORTING AS WELL AS STAFF ACTIONS IN REGARDS TO DE BRIEFING AND FUTURE SUPPORTS THAT MIGHT NEED TO BE PUT IN PLACE FOR STUDENTS THAT WILL PREVENT THE NEED FOR SUCH RESPONSES IN THE FUTURE.

FOR STAFF NEED FOR PHYSICAL INTERVENTION.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE AND I WOULD LIKE TO BRING TO THE BOARD'S ATTENTION THAT THE STEPS THAT ARE DISCUSSED IN THIS SECTION OF THE REGULATION IN REGARDS TO A WRITTEN REPORT IS REQUIRED WITHIN A CERTAIN NUMBER OF DAYS AND THAT DID NEED TO BE PROVIDED TO THE CENTRAL OFFICE.

THOSE ARE STEPS THAT WERE ALREADY IN PLACE WITH ACPS BEFORE IT BEING CODIFIED WITH THE BDOE.

IT IS CLEARLY WRITTEN OUT HERE IN OUR REGULATION.

ALSO IN ITEMS F AND G -- JENNIFER IF YOU ARE IN THIS SECTION HERE, SECTION D ARE ALL OF THE ITEM THAT'S NEED TO BE INCLUDED IN THE WRITTEN REPORT.

THE WRITTEN REPORT THAT WAS PREVIOUS TO THIS REGULATION HAD ALMOST ALL OF THE 16 ITEMS. WE ONLY HAD TO ADD ONE OR TWO ADDITIONAL ITEMS TO THE REPORT THAT WAS PREVIOUSLY BEING USED IN REGARDS TO GATHERING THE DATA REQUIRED BY THE BDOE.

IN SECTIONS F AND G, IN THESE SECTIONS WE ARE EXPANDING.

THIS IS AN ACPS EXPANSION THAT INCLUDES THAT FOLLOWING ANY INSTANCE OF RESTRAINT OR SECLUSION THAT A MEMBER OF THE SST TEAM WITHIN THAT SCHOOL WILL MEET WITH THE STUDENT TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL SUPPORT.

AND THEN UNDER LETTER G WE ARE PROVIDING PARENT SUPPORT BY MAKING CONNECTIONS WITH OUR PRC, OUR PARENT RESOURCE CENTER.

BELOW THAT IS ITEMS J AND K AND ARE PROVISIONS FOR QUARTERLY REVIEWS EITHER AT THE SCHOOL LEVEL OR THE CENTRAL OFFICE LEVEL EXAMINING IF ANY INCIDENT REPORTS ARE RECEIVED AND DOING AN EVALUATION IN REGARDS TO IS THERE A PATTERN.

TYPICALLY THOSE OCCUR MUCH MORE FREQUENTLY THAN QUARTERLY.

I RECEIVE ANY OF THE INCIDENT REPORTS THAT OCCUR IN THE SCHOOL DIVISION.

SO AS THEY COME IN I REVIEW THEM.

IF THERE IS ANY PATTERN, THEN THAT IS IMMEDIATELY BROUGHT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR'S ATTENTION AND WE WORK THROUGH THAT.

THIS IS PROVIDING FOR AT LEAST A QUARTERLY REPORT FOR ALL SCHOOLS.

IN THE NEXT SECTION, SECTION SEVEN WHICH IS PREVENTION, THIS PROVIDES GUIDANCE ON WHEN AN IEP TEAM, A 504 TEAM OR EVEN AN MTSS TEAM NEEDS TO REVIEW THE INCIDENTS AND OUTLINE POSSIBLE NEXT STEPS.

IT IS REALLY HIGHLIGHTING THE NEED FOR THE USE OF AN FBA OR IEP IS AVAILABLE FOR

[01:10:08]

ANY STUDENT IN OUR DIVISION.

THEY DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE AN IEP AND THEY DO TO THE HAVE TO HAVE A 504 PLAN.

ANY CHILD THAT REQUIRES ONE CAN RECEIVE AN FBA OR AN IEP TO ENSURE GREATER SUCCESS.

SECTION 8 IS ANNUAL REPORTING.

ANNUAL REPORTING LOOKS AT THOSE ITEMS THAT -- IT IS INFORMATION THAT EACH SCHOOL MUST THEN PROVIDE SO THAT WE CAN PROVIDE BDOE THE INFORMATION THAT THEY REQUIRE.

IT ALSO HAS A MECHANISM TO SHARE WITH THE SUPERINTENDENT TO SHARE ANNUALLY WITH THIS BOARD WHAT THE PATTERN OF BEHAVIORS OR INCIDENT REPORTS ARE LOOKING LIKE THROUGHOUT THE DIVISION EACH YEAR.

TRAINING IS ONE OF THE LAST SECTIONS.

THIS IS A VERY DETAILED AND SEQUENTIAL LIST OF STEPS THAT TRAINING IS PROVIDED FOR OUR STAFF AND ACP -- ACPS DEPENDING ON THE DIVISION.

ACPS REQUIRES ALL STAFF RECEIVE AN INITIAL INTRODUCTORY TRAINING THAT REALLY GOES OVER THE SECLUSION AND RESTRAINT GUIDELINES AS WELL AS -- IT HAS AN INITIAL INTRODUCTION TO DE ESCALATION STRATEGIES.

ACPS HAS CREATED A MORE EXTENSIVE DE ESCALATION TRAINING THAT WE PROVIDE STAFF AND IT IS BASED ON COMPONENTS OF THE CIP PROGRAM.

AND LASTLY THERE IS THE ADVANCED TRAINING.

WE USE CPI AS OUR ADVANCED TRAINING PROGRAM AND THAT IS PROVIDED THROUGH A SMALL GROUP OF STAFF WHO MIGHT BE INVOLVED IN EMERGENCY SITUATIONS AS WELL AS THE SPECIFIC STAFF LISTED HERE WHO ARE REQUIRED TO RECEIVE THAT LEVEL OF TRAINING.

WE ARE CURRENTLY INVESTIGATING A CONSUL DAY TIFF RELATIONSHIP -- CONULTATIVE RELATIONSHIP WITH A COMPANY THAT WILL REDUCE ZERO RESTRAINT.

IT IS COMFORT OVER CONTROL.

AND WE ARE HOPING TO BRING THE TRAINING TO THE CITY-WIDE PROGRAMS WHERE THERE MAY BE MORE INSTANCES OF CHILDREN HAVING BEHAVIORAL CHALLENGES, BUT AS WELL AS TO SPECIFIC SCHOOLS.

IF THERE IS A TEAM THAT REALLY NEEDS TRAINING IN THAT TYPE OF TECHNIQUE.

THEY MIGHT HAVE AN INDIVIDUAL STUDENT THEY ARE WORKING WITH AND THEY MAY NEED THAT ADDITIONAL SUPPORT.

THE LAST SECTION IS REALLY THE EXPECTATION THAT THIS POLICY IS GOING TO BE REVIEWED AT LEAST ANNUALLY AND UPDATED AS NECESSARY.

>> ERIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I REALLY APPRECIATE AND I'M SURE THE BOARD DOES AS WELL THAT OVERVIEW.

TWO OF THE THINGS THAT I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT.

ONE IS I FORGOT TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE INPUT AND THE REVIEW ALSO OF OUR COLLEAGUES IN STUDENT SERVICES.

THEY ALSO HAD INPUT AND REVIEW WITH THIS POLICY.

ONE THING I WOULD PARTICULARLY LIKE TO BRING TO EVERYONE'S ATTENTION IS THE STUDENT FOCUS IN THIS POLICY.

I UNDERSTAND IT IS SECLUSION AND RESTRAINT, AND THAT SOUNDS DIRE IN SOME SITUATIONS.

BUT THIS POLICY IS VERY STUDENT FOCUSED.

IF YOU ARE ABLE TO READ IT IN DETAIL YOU WILL SEE ALL OF THE PROTECTIONS THAT ARE IN PLACE FOR STUDENTS, ALL OF THE OVERSIGHT AND REVIEW TO ENSURE THAT STUDENT NEEDS ARE PRIMARY IN THIS PROCESS.

AND WE HAVE ALSO BUILT IN NUMEROUS AVENUES FOR FAMILY AND STUDENT SUPPORT.

WE HAVE PUT IN PLACES WHERE THE PARENT RESOURCE CENTER CAN MEET WITH FAMILIES.

WE ARE LOOKING TO MAKE COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS AND THE OTHER RESOURCES THAT MAY SUPPORT THE STUDENTS IN THE SCHOOL.

I WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND THAT THAT IS THE FOCUS WE CAME INTO THIS PROCESS WITH AS WE MADE THESE REVISIONS.

I THINK WE ARE BOTH READY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THAT ANYBODY MIGHT HAVE.

>> THANK YOU.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, MS. WERNER AND MS. STONE.

I KNOW THAT IS ALWAYS A HEAVY LIFT.

GREAT JOB.

MS. GENTRY.

>> YES.

THANK YOU.

THIS WAS OBVIOUSLY A LOT OF WORK AND REALLY APPRECIATE YOU WALKING THROUGH THAT.

WITH THAT IN MIND, WE HAVE HAD THIS OPPORTUNITY TO DO THIS AND, YOU KNOW, WE HAD

[01:15:01]

AN OPPORTUNITY TO READ IT.

THE REALITY IS SOME OF THE FAMILIES THAT MIGHT BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTED OR CONCERNED ABOUT THIS KIND OF THING MIGHT NOT BE AWARE OF SOME OF THE WORK THAT'S GONE INTO THIS POLICY.

SO I GUESS REALLY MY QUESTION IS FROM A COMMUNICATIONS POINT OF VIEW.

WHAT YOUR ALLS THOUGHTS ARE ON SORT OF SHARING THIS WITH PARENTS.

IDEALLY YOU WOULD WANT THEM TO HAVE SOME FAMILIARITY WITH THIS BEFORE THEY GET A CALL FROM THE SCHOOL SAYING THAT, YOU KNOW, THERE WAS A SECLUSION OR A RESTRAINING MOMENT THAT HAPPENED.

I WAS JUST INTERESTED TO HEAR WHAT YOUR ALLS THOUGHTS WERE IN TERMS OF OUT REACH AND COMMUNICATION.

THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU, MS. GENTRY.

I THINK THERE ARE A COUPLE OF DIFFERENT AVENUES THAT WE WOULD CONSIDER.

FIRST OF ALL INTERNATIONALLY ONCE THIS POLICY IS ADOPTED, THERE ARE REGULATIONS THAT WILL GO WITH IT.

BUT WE ALSO ARE GOING TO DEVELOP GUIDANCE DOCUMENTS THAT WE WILL DO VERY SPECIFIC TRAINING AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WITH OUR SCHOOL-BASED STAFF.

AS YOU LOOK AT THIS, THERE ARE ASPECTS OF THE POLICY THAT ARE VERY SPECIFIC TO STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES, AND THAT'S REALLY AROUND THE SECLUSION ASPECT OF THINGS.

THOSE ARE CONVERSATIONS AND MEETINGS AND FOLLOW-UP THAT WE CAN HAVE WITH VERY SPECIFIC SETS OF PARENTS.

THE RESTRAINT POLICY IS MORE GLOBAL.

IT COVERS ALL STUDENTS IN THE DIVISION.

THERE MAY BE A PARTICULAR SITUATION OR CIRCUMSTANCE WHERE A RESTRAINT IS APPROPRIATE AND THE STUDENT HAS NO RELATIONSHIP TO A SPECIAL ED PROGRAM IN ANYWAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

I THINK THAT WOULD BE A CONVERSATION I WOULD LIKE TO PURSUE WITH MS. VERGOS AND HER TEAM AND TALK TO PRINCIPALS ABOUT THE BEST WAY THEY CAN COMMUNICATE WITH THEIR FAMILIES.

THAT PART IS BEYOND THE WORLD OF JUST SPECIAL ED.

I DEFINITELY THINK THAT THAT IS A TOPIC AND AN ASPECT WE NEED TO PURSUE.

>> THANKS FOR MAKING THAT DISTINCTION AS WELL.

THAT WAS HELPFUL DR. WERNER.

THANK YOU.

>> DR. RIEF?

>> THANK YOU.

THANK YOU FOR THE PRESENTATION.

MY QUESTION WAS ABOUT THE SECTION ABOUT THE ANNUAL REPORTING THAT THE SUPERINTENDENT HAS TO PROVIDE THE BDOE AND THEN SHARE THAT WITH THE SCHOOL BOARD IS THAT A NEW REQUIREMENT? I JUST DON'T RECALL THAT REPORTING IN THE PAST, AND WHEN DO YOU EXPECT WE WOULD BE SEEING THAT INFORMATION DURING THE YEAR?

>> SO DR. RIEF, YOU SORT OF HIT ON THE COLONEL THAT STARTED THIS.

THE OFFICE OF CIVIL RIGHTS HAS REPORTING REQUIREMENTS.

SOME NEIGHBORING JURISDICTIONS NEVER COMPLIED WITH THE REQUIREMENTS.

IT BECAME A STATEWIDE ISSUE.

WE HAVE COMPLIED WITH THE REPORTING REQUIREMENTS EVERY YEAR.

MARIAH RUNKLE SUBMITS TO OUR OFFICES AND WE REPORT TO THE OFFICE OF CIVIL RIGHTS EVERY YEAR.

AND SO ON THE SAME SCHEDULE THAT GOES TO OCR, WE WILL TIE IT TO THE REPORT TO THE BOARD.

WHAT THAT ACTUAL REPORTING DATE IS I DON'T KNOW, BUT I CAN FIND OUT FOR YOU AND I CAN MEET WITH MS. RUNKLE AND GET THAT INFORMATION.

WE WOULD BRING IT TO THE BOARD BEFORE IT THEN WENT ON TO OCR.

WE WILL ABSOLUTELY DO THAT.

>> AND DR. RIEF, I WOULD ACTUALLY LIKE TO ADD ONE THING TO WHAT MS. WERNER SAID.

WILE WE WERE WORKING ON THIS REVISION -- WHEN WE WERE WORKING ON THE SECTION ABOUT THE ANNUAL REPORTING AND NOTING THAT THE DATA IS REQUIRED TO BE SENT TO THE STATE SUPERINTENDANT EACH YEAR, WE AS AN INTERNAL TEAM THOUGHT IT WAS IMPORTANT FOR THE BOARD TO SEE THAT INFORMATION THAT THE BOARD HAS SUBMITTED.

ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT THE STATE REGULATIONS REQUIRED, WE ADDED IN THE REQUIREMENTS THAT IT WILL BE PRESENTED TO THE BOARD BEFORE THE REPORT IS PRESENTED.

>> THANK YOU, I FORGOT ABOUT THAT.

I DO WANT TO POINT OUT AS PART OF THIS PROCESS, THERE ARE MULTIPLE AREAS IN WHICH WE EXCEEDED THE STATE REQUIREMENTS IN A POSITIVE WAY.

IN A STUDENT-CENTERED FOCUSED WAY.

WE PUT TIME RESTRICTIONS ON THINGS.

WE ADDED ADDITIONAL OVERSIGHTS.

WE ADDED THE ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS WITH PARENTS AND THE PARENT RESOURCE CENTER.

THERE ARE MANY AREAS IN WHICH WE AS A SCHOOL DIVISION EXCEEDED WHAT THE

[01:20:04]

STATE WAS REQUIRING.

>> THANK YOU.

DO WE HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIONS? OKAY.

WELL, THANK YOU AGAIN.

WE APPRECIATE THE PRESENTATION.

I KNOW THIS IS A REALLY HEAVY LIFT, BUT A VERY, VERY, VERY IMPORTANT POLICY.

THANKS AGAIN, EVERYBODY.

ALL RIGHT.

SO JENNIFER, I'M PRETTY SURE WE ARE DONE WITH POLICIES.

CORRECT?

>> THAT IS THE LAST POLICY FOR THIS EVENING.

YES.

>> ALL RIGHT.

GREAT.

SO WITH THAT SAID, THAT IS THE END OF OUR WORK SESSION AND WE DO NEED TO MOVE INTO OUR SPECIAL CALLED MEETING BECAUSE WE HAVE A CLOSED MEETING.

SO THANK YOU, EVERYONE, FOR ATTENDING THE WORK SESSION.

MS. NOLAN, DO YOU HAVE THE -- >> THE MOTIONS ?

>> YES.

>> YES, I DO.

>> MS. ALDERTON, YOU DO HAVE TO TAKE ROLL CALL.

>> I KNOW.

I JUST HAD TO MAKE SURE SHE HAD IT.

>> OKAY, THANK YOU.

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.