Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

>> IT IS 5:00.

[ Call the Work Session to Order]

[00:00:03]

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO OUR COMBINED FUNDS BUDGET WORK SESSION NUMBER TWO.

SO JUST BRIEFLY I'LL GO OVER THE AGENDA.

WE'LL START OFF WITH PUBLIC COMMENT.

WE HAVE ONE PUBLIC COMMENT THIS EVENING.

AND THEN WE WILL BE PRESENTED WITH A SUMMARY OF NONPERSONNEL OPERATING EXPENDITURES AND FINALLY WE WILL END THE WORK SESSION LOOKING AT CD AND G POLICIES.

[ 1. Public Comments]

SO SUSAN I'M GOING TO TURN IT OVER TO YOU.

BECAUSE WE HAVE ONE PUBLIC SPEAKER.

>> OUR PUBLIC SPEAKER IS MR. KYLE MARTIN AND MR. MARTIN IF YOU COULD TURN ON YOUR MICROPHONE.

VERY GOOD.

THIS IS KYLE MARTIN.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

I'VE E-MAILED THIS LETTER OUT TO THE SCHOOL BOARD SO IT SHOULD NOT BE A SURPRISE.

THIS -- HAS REMAINED VIRTUAL -- IT WAS CONTRARY TO THE DEPARTMENT OF VIRGINIA GUIDANCE.

GIVEN VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH STATEMENT THAT SCHOOL CLOSURES CAUSE HARM TO CHILDREN AND MAY CAUSE LEARNING LOSS WITH LONG-TERM EFFECT EBBS OR POTENTIAL REGRESSION IN SOCIAL SKILLS WHY THEN DID ACPS DECIDE TO DELAY THE REOPENING AND CONTINUE WITH THIS HARM TO THE STUDENTS.

IT IS VISUALLY SIMILAR TO THE PREVIOUS DECISION MATRIX BUT THERE ARE SEVERAL IMPORTANT DIFFERENCES.

THE INTERIM GUIDANCE INSTRUCTS SUPERINTENDENTS.

ACCORDING TO THE SUPERINTENDENT'S OWN COMMENTS ACPS HAS IMPLEMENTED NEARLY ALL OF THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION MITIGATIONS AND IS READY TO "ROCK-AND-ROLL." AND I APPLAUD THE SUPERINTENDENT'S EFFORT AND THE TEAM'S EFFORT IN THIS REGARD.

THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION FURTHER INSTRUCTS -- TWO SECONDARY INDICATORS WERE IN THE LOWEST RISK CATEGORY.

TAKEN HOLISTICALLY THE LEVEL OF TRANSMISSION SHOULD RIGHTLY HAVE BEEN EVALUATED IN THE POSITION OF HIGHER.

YIELDS A RESULT THAT DIRECTS A RETURN TO MAXIMUM IN PERSON LEARNING.

EVEN IF THE SUPERINTENDENT HAD DOCUMENTED EACH OF THE VALUATION THE RESULTS FOR THE MATRIX STILL WOULD HAVE DIRECTED A RETURN TO IN PERSON LEARNING.

BASED ON THE DIRECTION PROVIDED BY THE STATE ACPS SHOULD HAVE RETURNED TO MAXIMUM IN PERSON LEARNING.

INSTEAD IT REMAINS CLOSED.

AND CONTINUES THE HARM TO STUDENTS DESPITE WARNINGS FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH.

I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY ACPS IS DISREGARDING EXPERT AND AUTHORITATIVE GUIDANCE.

THEY MUST UPDATE THEIR GUIDANCE TO MATCH THE STATE -- THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION AND RETURN CHILDREN TO SCHOOL.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND I'LL AWAIT YOUR RESPONSE.

>> THE SCHOOL BOARD DOES NOT RESPOND ON CAMERA OR AT THE MEETING BUT I EXPECT THAT MAYBE SOMEBODY MAY REACH OUT TO YOU.

THANK YOU.

>> OKAY.

THANK YOU, MR. MARTIN FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

WE ARE MOVING ON.

[2. Combined Funds Budget Work Session #2]

TO OUR SUMMARY OF THE NONPERSONNEL OPERATING EXPENDITURES FOR THE COMBINED FUNDS'S BUDGET.

>> THANK YOU, MADAM CHAIR AND I'M GOING TO TURN THINGS TO HAVE EVERY TO OUR CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER MR. TURNER TO TALKINGS THROUGH OUR PRESENTATION THIS EVENING.

TONIGHT'S DISCUSSION IS AROUND OUR NONPERSONNEL ITEMS. THAT ARE A PART OF OUR FY22 BUDGET SO I'M GOING TO TURN THESE OVER AT THIS TIME AND

[00:05:05]

I LOOK FORWARD TO THE PRESENTATION AND THEN THE CONVERSATION AFTER.

>> THANK YOU.

APPRECIATE IT.

SUSAN, WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO SHARE MY SCREEN?

>> I WAS TOLD THAT YOU WOULD.

BUT IF YOU NEED ME TO I CAN.

IT'S UP TO YOU -- AS MOST OF YOU ALL KNOW 88 PERCENT IS PERSONNEL AND ONLY ABOUT 12% IS NONPERSONNEL SO WE ARE FOCUSING ON THE 12% TONIGHT.

A LARGE PORTION FALLS INTO THE IMPROVEMENT OF INSTRUCTION.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

WE ARE A SCHOOL SYSTEM AND THE LARGEST PORTION IS FOR OUR INSTRUCTIONAL CORE FOLLOWED BY OUR KINDERGARTEN AND PREKINDERGARTEN.

SO, THAT IS WHY THAT IS THE SECOND LARGEST CATEGORY.

WHICH TOTALS ABOUT $9.5 MILLION.

AND GOING INTO FISCAL YEAR 2022 WE CONTINUE TO MAKE INVESTMENTS.

WE HAVE ADDED ADDITIONAL $50,000 TO THE NWEA MAP.

AND THEN WE HAVE FUNDING FOR ADDITIONAL EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE FOR EARLY LEARNERS WHETHER THAT BE FIELD TRIPS OR OTHER THINGS THAT WE CAN DO INSIDE THE CLASSROOM.

AS YOU KNOW WE'RE TRYING TO RECOVER FISCAL YEAR TO 2 WE'RE TRYING TO RECOVER FROM THE PANDEMIC AND WE'LL NEED ADDITIONAL SUPPORT TO HELP.

TO HELP OUR STUDENTS COME OUT OF THIS PANDEMIC AND GET WHERE WE NEED THEM TO GO SO WE ADDED HALF A BILL DOLLARS TO THE SEAL RECOVERY.

$250 MILLION AND $250,000 FOR ADDITIONAL ACADEMIC SUPPORTS.

WE'LL CONTINUE TO OUR PROFESSIONAL LEARNING AT SEAL AND CONTINUING TO EXTEND OUR TIER II AND TIER III.

ONE OF OUR THREE RS -- FOR OUR 2022 BUDGET WAS RETENTION.

RETAIN STAFF SO ONE THING THAT WE TALKED ABOUT WAS THE COMPENSATION SIDE THAT WE'RE TRYING TO HELP TO RETAIN STAFF.

THE OTHER PART IS BEING ABLE TO HELP OUR STAFF DEVELOP THEIR CAREERS.

BECAUSE THERE ARE MANY THINGS THAT DRIVE PEOPLE TO STAY IN THEIR ORGANIZATION.

IT'S NOT ALWAYS THE SALARY.

SOMETIMES THE APPRECIATION AND THE ABILITY TO GROW THEIR CAREER SO WE HAVE ROUGHLY $1.1 MILLION TO HELP STAFF GROW AND DEVELOP IN THEIR CAREER FROM MEMBERSHIPS TO DIFFERENT PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS FROM THE TRAVEL EXPENSES TO BE ABLE TO ATTEND CONFERENCES AND SO FORTH AS WELL AS TUITION REIMBURSEMENT FOR THOSE PURSUING ADDITIONAL DEGREES.

ONE OF OUR PRIORITIES GOING INTO FISCAL YEAR 2022 IS OUR COMMUNITY OUTREACH.

TOUCHING ALL DEMOGRAPHICS AND ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE'RE DOING MOVING INTO FISCAL YEAR 2022 IS ADDITIONAL FUNDING FOR TRANSLATION SERVICES.

WE HAVE MANY DIFFER RECOMMEND THE LANGUAGES SPOKEN HERE AS WELL AS THIS YEAR WE IMPLEMENTED A FAMILY HELP LINE WHICH IS BEEN HELPING DIFFERENT GROUPS OF FAMILIES ACROSS ALL OF OUR DEMOGRAPHICS SO WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO CONTINUE THAT IN THE FISCAL YEAR 2022.

SO WE'RE PROVIDING FUNDING FOR THAT GOING FORWARD AS WELL.

THIS WAS SOMETHING THAT WE ORIGINALLY HAD IN OUR 21 BUDGET BUT AS YOU KNOW WE HAD TO REDUCE OUR BUDGET BY $12 MILLION LAST YEAR.

IT KIND OF GOT SLOWED DOWN SO WE WANTED TO GET BACK TO IMPLEMENTING OUR CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT SYSTEM SO WE'RE DOING THAT WITH FUNDING AN ADDITIONAL $100,000 TO BE ABLE TO GET THIS BALL ROLLING AND THAT COMBINED WITH OUR FAMILY

[00:10:01]

HELP LINE WE'RE HOPING TO HAVE MORE TOUCH POINTS WITH OUR FAMILIES TO BE ABLE TO ASSIST THEM WHEN THEY ARE INTERACTING WITH THE SCHOOL SYSTEM.

AND THIS IS OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN IN THE PUBLIC FOR A WHILE NOW.

WE'VE BEEN GOING THROUGH THE PROCESS OF -- THE SCHOOL BUILDING SO WE DIDN'T WANT TO JUST TALK ABOUT IT.

WE WANT TO PUT THE FUNDING BEHIND IT AS WELL SO HOW IT COMES OUT PROCESS WE WANT TO ENSURE WE HAVE THE DOLLARS TO TAKE CARE OF WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE THERE.

WE HAVE INCLUDED $375,000 FOR THIS EFFORT SO WHEN THAT PROCESS CONCLUDES THERE WILL BE FUNDING AVAILABLE TO TAKE CARE OF THOSE ITEMS. AND THEN ONE OF THE LARGEST PIECES OF THE BUDGET COMES WITH OUR OPERATIONS.

ENSURING THAT WE TAKE CARE OF OUR FACILITIES THROUGHOUT A CPS.

THIS IS THE LARGEST CHUNK OF THE $36.4 MILLION.

INCLUDING OUR LEASES, OUR CLEANING CONTRACTS, ELECTRICAL SERVICES, HVAC AND SO FORTH.

THE LARGEST PART IS FOR OUR RENT AS WELL AS OUR CLEANING SERVICES.

ROUGHLY $4 MILLION FOR LEASES AND $3.4 MILLION FOR CLEANING SERVICES.

WE ARE UTILIZING -- AND AS WE GET ESER2 APPLICATION DONE WE'RE UTILIZING THOUGH FUNDS TO HAVE MITIGATING -- TO BE ABLE TO DO PROJECT IS TO MITIGATE COVID-19 AS WELL AS INCREASED CLEANING THAT WAS NEEDED THIS YEAR -- SO AS I WRAP IT UP AND BEFORE WE TURN IT OVER TO QUESTIONS I JUST WANTED TO PROVIDE A REMINDER FOR THE REMAINING DATES THAT WE HAVE HERE.

BUDGET QUESTIONS WERE SUBMITTED AND WE'RE WORKING TO GET THOSE POSTED BY THIS FRIDAY.

AND THEN WE'LL END UP GOING INTO THE ADD DELETE SESSIONS -- UNTIL WE GET TO THE APPROVED BUDGET ON FEBRUARY 18.

ONCE WE GET TO THE APPROVED BUDGET ON FEBRUARY 18 WE WILL AWAIT THE CITY'S ADOPTION OF THEIR FISCAL YEAR 2022 BUDGET TO DETERMINE THE SCHOOL APPROPRIATION LEVEL AND THEN GO BACK TO THE BUDGET PROCESS TO FINALIZE THE BUDGET ON JUNE 3RD FOR THE SCHOOL BOARD ADOPTION OF FISCAL YEAR 2022 COMBINED FUNDS AS WELL AS THE CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT.

WITH THAT I'LL OPEN IT UP FOR QUESTIONS.

>> THANK YOU, MR. TURNER.

I WILL START WITH MS. GENTRY.

>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

THAT WAS HELPFUL.

I WOULD DESCRIBE A TIME LINE QUESTION.

KEEPING IN MIND THAT WHEN WE DO APPROVE A BUDGET THE REAL START DATE OF WHEN THE FUNDS ACTUALLY LAND ARE JULY 1ST.

SO I WAS LOOKING AT BOTH THE CUSTOMER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM WHICH IS MR. TURNER MENTION EDUCATED TO BE PUSHED BACK A LITTLE BIT.

AND THEN ALSO THINKING ABOUT THE SCHOOL RENAMING.

AND I GUESS I JUST WANTED A REALITY CHECK OF IF THOSE FUNDS ARE NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL JULY IN TERMS OF WHAT PEOPLE CAN ACTUALLY EXPECT TO SEE AS THE NEXT FISCAL YEAR ROLLS OUT IF THE STAFF HAD A SENSE OF LIKE WOULD WE BE ABLE TO PUT NEW NAMES ON BUILDINGS BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL OR IS IT SOMETHING THAT WOULD TAKE LONGER AND THEN ALSO THE STAFF SENSE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM.

THANK YOU.

>> WELL SO THE QUESTION AROUND -- WERE YOU MAKING A COMMENT OR ASKING A QUESTION.

>> I'M ASKING -- ASSUMING -- I WANTED AN UNDERSTANDING OF HOW LONG WE THOUGHT THOSE THINGS WOULD TAKE.

>> GOT IT.

SO WHEN WOULD THOSE PROJECTS BE COMPLETED.

[00:15:01]

BECAUSE SOMETIMES WE'RE IN SITUATIONS WHERE BECAUSE FUNDING IS NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL THE SUMMER THAT DOES HAVE AN IMPACT ON OUR DELIVERY IN CASES ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH FACILITIES AND OPERATIONS BECAUSE WE NEED THOSE SCHOOL BUILDINGS TO BE OPEN FOR OUR STUDENTS AND STAFF.

SO THERE ARE A COUPLE OF THINGS IN REGARDS TO THAT AND MR. TURNER AND I DON'T KNOW IF DR. HART IS ON THE CALL.

ONE IS PROJECTS WOULD VARY.

I KNOW FOR T.C.

WILLIAMS AND MATTHEW MAURY THEY'VE DONE AN ANALYSIS OF THE BUILDING.

WE ALREADY KNOW SPECIFICALLY WHAT NEEDS TO OCCUR.

WE'RE FORTUNATELY IN A SITUATION WHERE WE'RE NOT HAVING TO BUILD A NEW FACILITY OR ANYTHING THAT IS DRAMATIC THAT TAKES YEARS TO COMPLETE.

A LOCALITY OF THE UPDATES THAT WILL HAVE TO OCCUR REQUIRE US PAINTING OVER CERTAIN ITEMS AND PURCHASING OF DIFFERENT UNIFORMS THAT HAVE TC WILLIAMS ON THEM.

AND I KNOW AND I COMMENT SPEAK TO THIS BUT MAYBE MR. TURN ERROR DR. HART CAN ASSIST ME IN THIS BUT I KNOW WHEN WE'RE PURCHASING THINGS SUCH AS UNIFORMS AND THINGS OF THAT NATURE PURCHASE ORDERS AND THE PROCUREMENT PROCESS -- BUT I KNOW THERE ARE SITUATIONS WHERE WE CAN ATTEMPT OR AT LEAST SET ASIDE OR PUT IN REQUESTS TO PURCHASE CERTAIN ITEMS BEFORE THE DOLLARS -- ARE IN OUR BUDGET.

BUT MR. TURNER, IF YOU CAN CONFIRM THAT PROCESS FOR ME, PLEASE.

>> YES, SIR.

AS SOON AS WE HAVE THE APPROPRIATION AUTHORITY.

AS SOON AS THE SCHOOL BOARD APPROVES THE BUDGET AND WE HAVE THOSE FUNDS WE CAN MOVE FORWARD AND START TO ENGAGE WITH VENDORS AND THEN WE CAN PUT INTO OUR FINANCIAL SYSTEM THE REQUISITION TO GET THE PURCHASE ORDER JULY 1 SO WE CAN GET THINGS STARTED JUNE 3RD I BELIEVE IS A THURSDAY SO I THINK THAT MONDAY WOULD BE JUNE 6.

WE CAN START TO ENGAGE WITH THE VENDORS AND BE ABLE TO HAVE THE REQUISITION FOR WHAT NEEDS TO TAKE PLACE IN THE SYSTEM BY JULY 1.

WITH THIS -- BECAUSE THIS IS THE OPERATING FUND.

THERE WON'T BE ANY DELAY WHEN IT COMES TO BEING ABLE TO PUT THE REQUISITIONS IN AND GETTING THE PURCHASE ORDERS IN.

AS FAR AS THE PROJECT TIME LINE AND IF THERE IS PIECES OF THE PROJECT THAT NEED TO BE DONE BEFORE STUDENTS ARE IN THE BUILDING I DON'T HAVE THE ANSWER TO THAT AND I WILL TURN IT OVER TO DR. HART ON THAT PIECE.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH, MR. TURNER.

GENTRY MY TEAM WOULD LIKE TO PUT TOGETHER A TIME LINE THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE RENAMING PROCESS AND THEN PROVIDE DR. HUTCHINGS AN UPDATE.

I DO THINK THERE MAY BE SOME COMPONENTS THAT WILL BE TIGHT TO COMPLETE PRIOR TO THE START OF SCHOOL BUT I DON'T WANT TO SAY ANYTHING DEFINITIVELY UNTIL I'VE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO CIRCLE BACK.

>> I THINK I HEARD A CUTE LITTLE BABY.

DID I HEAR THAT? OH, MY GOODNESS.

MS. LORBER.

>> I'M SO SORRY.

THERE WAS SOMEONE AT THE DOOR.

OKAY.

GEE, I HAVE A NUMBER OF QUESTIONS.

I'LL START WITH A SIMPLE ONE.

THE FUNDING FOR SEAL IN TODAY'S PRESENTATION.

CAN YOU BREAK THAT DOWN.

BECAUSE THIS IS THE NONPERSONNEL.

BUT WHEN I THINK OF THE SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING AND SUPPORT I THINK OF ADDITIONAL PERSONNEL.

BUT WILL THERE BE ADDITIONAL PERSONNEL HIRED TO PURSUE THE BROADER AGENDA.

WHAT DOES THIS COVER THE AMOUNT IN THE BUDGET IN THIS PARTICULAR CHART.

>> SO BEFORE MY STUDENTS SERVICES TEAM JUMPS IN THAT COULD BE FOR PEOPLE BUT IT WOULD BE PEOPLE THROUGH A CONTRACT.

THAT 250 WHERE WE'RE LOOKING TO NOT EXPAND THE NUMBER OF FTES THAT WE HAVE BUT IF WE NEED ADDITIONAL COUNCILOR OR PSYCHOLOGIST WE CAN PURSUE THOSE THROUGH PURCHASE SERVICE AGREEMENTS AND THAT IS THE WAY THAT WE WOULD DO THAT.

THAT IS WHY WE INCLUDED THAT WITH THIS PORTION VERSUS THE PERSONNEL PORTION.

WITH THAT I'LL TURN IT OVER TO DR. CRAWFORD.

>> THANK YOU, MR. TURNER.

YES.

THAT IS EXACTLY RIGHT.

WE'RE LOOKING AT POSSIBLE UTILIZATION THROUGH CONTRACTING FOR ADDITIONAL SST SUPPORT.

ALSO JUST TO MENTION, DO WE UTILIZE AS WE HAVE OUR STUDENTS COMING BACK AND

[00:20:04]

PEOPLE HAVE DEALT WITH A GREAT DEAL OF TRAUMA CAN WE UTILIZE SOME OF THESE FOUND FOR FACILITATORS WHO COULD HELP US RUN CIRCLES WITHIN THE SCHOOLS.

OUR OTHER PRIMARY USES WOULD BE BRINGING OUR OWN STAFF UP-TO-DATE ON OUR SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL PROGRAM KNOWN AS RULER THAT THE BOARD SAW LAST YEAR.

OUR GOAL WOULD BE TO IMPLEMENT RULER AT ALL OF OUR SCHOOL SYSTEMS AND WE WOULD BE ABLE TO USE THESE FUNDS TO ACCOMPLISH THAT.

THE CRITICAL PIECE IS AS YOU MAY REMEMBER FROM THE CORE KELLY TEACHERS WHO PRESENTED A LARGE PART OF RULER IS UNDERSTANDING BEHAVIOR AND LANGUAGE AND YOUR OWN SORT OF BEHAVIOR AND TEMPERATURE IN THE ROOM AND WE KNOW THAT STAFF COMING BACK ARE GOING TO HAVE THEIR OWN CHALLENGES BECAUSE WE'RE ALL LIVING IN CRISIS.

ALLOWING THAT OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN WITH RULER AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND HAVE THAT CONSISTENT DIVISION IMPLEMENTATION SO YES TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT STAFF AND ALSO USING THE FUNDS FOR THINGS LIKE OUR SEAL PROGRAM AND RULER.

>> AND IN ADDITION TO WHAT DR. CRAWFORD MENTIONED IT'S IMPORTANT TO EMPHASIZE THE FACT THAT AS STUDENTS COME BACK THERE MAY BE SOME ADDITIONAL STRESSORS AND THINGS THAT COULD OCCUR BECAUSE WE'RE COMING BACK INTO AN ENVIRONMENT THAT IS NOT SIMILAR TO WHAT IT WAS WHEN THEY LEFT THE SCHOOLS.

THAT COULD TRIGGER FOR DIFFERENT KIDS.

EVERY CHILD AND EVERY ADULT IS DIFFERENT BUT WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO BE PREPARED SO THAT FUNDING IS NOT GOING TO BE A BARRIER TO PROVIDING WHATEVER THOSE ADDITIONAL SERVICES MAY BE FOR NEXT YEAR.

IT'S HARD TO PREDICT WHAT SOME OF THESE ADDITIONAL SERVICES MIGHT NEED TO BE -- WE'RE PREPARING AND PUTTING TOGETHER -- OUR LIST OF SUPPORT BASED ON THE DATA WE CURRENTLY HAVE.

THIS IS FOR FY22 AND LOOK AT WHAT HAS TRANSPIRED SO IT'S HARD TO SAY WHAT ELSE COULD TRANSPIRE BUT WE DO NOT WANT FUNDING TO BE A BARRIER.

>> OKAY.

THANK YOU.

I JUST WANT TO ADD -- A PS -- I APPRECIATE THAT AND I JUST -- THE CONCERN I HAVE WHICH I'VE ALWAYS HAD IS THAT EVEN NORMAL TIMES WE'VE -- EVEN THOUGH WE'RE AHEAD OF OTHER SCHOOL DISTRICTS ON RATIO OF SUPPORT PEOPLE TO STUDENTS WE ARE STILL IN NEED OF MORE JUST IN NORMAL TIMES.

SO, ITS AN EMERGENCY.

I HOPE THOSE FUNDS ARE ENOUGH AND I WONDER IF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DOES PASS MORE AID SPECIFICALLY FOR EDUCATION AND SUPPORTS AND IF IT TRICKLES DOWN I WONDER IF WE CAN RAISE THAT FUNDING FOR EMERGENCY SUPPORT SERVICES FOR A PERIOD.

THAT IS JUST A COMMENT.

FORGET IT.

>> MS. LORBER.

I'M GLAD THAT YOU REITERATED THAT BECAUSE ANY ADDITIONAL FUNDING THAT WE WILL RECEIVE IN THE FUTURE IT REALLY IS GOING TO BE GEARED TOWARDS SEAL.

SEAL AND TECHNOLOGY AND FACILITIES.

THOSE ARE OUR MAIN AREAS THAT WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO FOCUS ON.

MOVING FOLDER.

THOSE ARE THE AREAS THAT HAVE BEEN IMPACT THE MOST.

AND THOSE ARE THE AREAS THAT ARE COSTLY THAT ARE GOING TO BE AN ADDITION TO WHAT WE HAVE CURRENTLY IN OUR BUDGET SO AS WE COME, AS WE RECEIVE ADDITIONAL FUNDING IN THE FUTURE AND WE'LL HAVE MORE INSIGHT ABOUT WHAT COULD BE ADDITIONAL FUNDS OR STATE FUNDING THOSE DOLLARS ARE GOING TO BE ALLOCATED TO THOSE SPECIFIC AREAS SUCH AS SEAL AND WE'RE SEPARATING SOCIAL EMOTIONAL AND ACADEMIC -- JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE DIFFERENT FOCUSES.

THEY ARE STILL SEAL ALL TOGETHER BUT WE'RE FOCUSES ON SOCIAL EMOTIONAL ASPECT AND THEN THE ACADEMIC LOSS ASPECT AND THEN WE ALSO WANT TO FOCUS ON THE FACILITIES AND ANY MITIGATIONS THAT WE HAVE TO CONTINUE TO DO IN REGARDS TO OUR FACILITIES AND THEN THE TECHNOLOGY COMPONENT IS ANOTHER SPECIFIC AREA THAT WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO CONTINUE TO FOCUS ON AND THOSE ARE ALL OF OUR MOST EXPENSIVE AREAS WHEN IT COMES TO FUNDING.

I THINK MR. TURNER EARLIER WHAT HE DID PORTRAY IS THE FACT THAT WE DON'T WANT TO

[00:25:07]

USE THESE DOLLARS TO ADD ADDITIONAL FTES BECAUSE YOU KNOW WE'RE HOPING THAT THIS CRISIS AS WE PROVIDE SUPPORT THE NEEDS WILL DECLINE OVER TIME.

THE GOAL IS NOT TO HAVE THE SAME NUMBER OF PEOPLE IN CRISIS TWO YEARS FROM NOW.

WE HOPE THAT OUR SERVICES ARE HELPING YOU GET OUT OF THE CRISIS MODE AND WE DON'T WANT TO BE IN A SITUATION WHERE WE HAVE TAKEN DOLLARS THAT MAY NOT BE SUSTAINABLE OVER TIME.

AND THEN WE ARE NOT IN THE SITUATION TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO KEEP SOME OF THE FTES IN THE FUTURE BUT THESE ARE REALLY FOR SERVICES THAT COULD ENTAIL PEOPLE PROVIDING THOSE SERVICES BUT I WOULD LIKE FOR US TO OF LOOK AT THIS MORE SO AS SERVICES THAT ARE PROVIDED AND RESOURCES THAT ARE PROVIDED FOR STUDENTS IN THESE PARTICULAR AREAS.

>> THANK YOU DR. HUTCHINGS AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT MS. LORBER AND I WANT TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO CINDY ANDERSON WHO'S STILL WORKING AVIDLY ON OUR BEHALF TO ADVOCATE WITH OUR FEDERAL LEADERS ABOUT GAINING ADDITIONAL FUNDS FOR THESE THINGS.

SO THANK YOU CINDY FOR CONTINUING TO DO THAT.

ALL RIGHT.

VERONICA NOLAN.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH CHAIR ALDERTON.

IF I COULD ASK A FOLLOW-UP DR. HUTCHINGS.

DO YOU MIND EXPANDING WHEN YOU SAY PROGRAMS FOR SEAL VERSUS STAFF.

DO YOU HAVE MIND TAPPING IN TO WHAT THAT IS -- WHAT IS YOUR VISION TO SUPPORT THE STUDENTS DURING TIMES OF COVID AND AS TIME GOES ON MIGHT NOT BE NECESSARY? I WOULD BE CURIOUS TO HEAR MORE ABOUT THAT.

AND THEN I ALSO WANT TO PUT MY PLUG IN ANY TIME WE CAN GIVE SOCIAL SUPPORT SERVICES MORE STAFF I'M ALL ABOUT IT.

I TRUST THE DEPARTMENT WILL UTILIZE THE RESOURCES.

>> SOME OF THE NEEDS THAT STUDENTS ARE HAVING RIGHT NOW SOME OF THE ANXIETY THAT THEY ARE EXPERIENCING IS FROM BEING AT HOME AND NOT OUT OF THEIR HOMES AND HAVING SOME SINCE ARE SENSE OF NORMALCY.

THE HOPE IS THAT THE -- THE GOAL IS WE'RE NOT GOING TO BE ON ZOOM NEXT YEAR.

WE'RE GOING TO BE IN PERSON.

WE WOULD HAVE VACCINES.

WE MIGHT HAVE MORE -- PEACE OF MIND AS WELL AS OUR STUDENTS IN THE FUTURE.

SO I GUESS THE POINT THAT I WAS MAKING WAS THAT WE ARE HOPING THAT OVER TIME WE'RE NOT IN THE SAME SITUATION THAT IS CAUSING THE MORE SIGNIFICANT TRIGGERS THAT WE DIDN'T HAVE A YEAR AGO WITH OUR STUDENTS.

AND THAT WE SHOULD SEE SOME PROGRESS WE HOPE IN REGARDS TO HOW THE WORLD IS OPERATING AND WHAT OUR ROUTINES ARE GOING TO BE.

NOW DO I KNOW IF THEY ARE GOING TO GO BACK TO PRIOR MARCH 13? I DON'T KNOW BUT I HOPE WE'RE NOT GOING TO STILL BE IN OUR HOMES AND UNABLE TO COME TO SCHOOL BECAUSE THAT HAS REALLY BEEN SOME OF THE SIGNIFICANCE SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL CHALLENGES THAT KIDS HAVE BEEN HAVING.

IN REGARDS TO THE SOCIALIZATION COMPONENT.

SO AS THAT DECLINES OVER TIME WE SHOULD NOT NEED -- AS MANY SUPPORTS IN THAT PARTICULAR AREA.

WE'RE STILL GOING TO NEED SUPPORTS BECAUSE THAT IS PART OF HOW WE OPERATE BUT WE SHOULD NOT NEED ADDITIONAL SUPPORTS THAT ARE DEFINITELY NEEDED RIGHT NOW.

>> GOT IT.

THANK YOU FOR THE CLARIFICATION AND I COMPLETELY AGREE THAT THE AREAS THAT YOU OUTLINED IN TERMS OF TECHNOLOGY, FACILITIES AND SOCIAL SUPPORTS ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BE.

FOCUS AND THAT IS A GOOD REMINDER TO HIGHLIGHTS THOSE AND MY ACTUAL QUESTION WAS I KNOW THE BOARD SUBMITTED QUESTIONS FOR THE BUDGET.

DO YOU WANT US TO ASK -- THE PROCESS QUESTION.

SOME OF US THIS EVENING OR WHEN DO YOU THINK THOSE RESPONSES WILL COME BACK.

>> THOSE RESPONSES COME BACK NEXT WEEK SO WE JUST COMPILED THE LIST I THINK IT WAS A TOTAL OF 61 QUESTIONS FROM THE BOARD.

THOSE WILL BE POSTED I BELIEVE BY SATURDAY AND THEN THE BOARD HAS UNTIL TUESDAY MR. TURNER TO RESPOND OR NOT TO RESPOND BUT TO REVIEW.

>> CORRECT.

WE'RE TRYING TO GET THOSE POST HELD TOMORROW.

AT THE LATEST.

IT WILL BE SATURDAY AND THEN THE SUBMISSION OF ADD DELETES IS WEDNESDAY OF NEXT

[00:30:06]

WEEK -- LET ME JUST PULL UP THE CALENDAR.

>> I THINK IT'S TUESDAY AT NOON.

>> YES.

YOU'RE CORRECT.

TUESDAY AT NOON.

>> THANK YOU.

>> OKAY.

I HAVE DR. RIEF.

>> THANK YOU.

FOR THE PRESENTATION AND I WAS ALSO INTERESTED IN THIS SEAL SUPPORTS THAT ARE BEING PUT IN PLACE.

I WAS WONDERING IF WE CAN GET AN UPDATE ABOUT THE UNIVERSAL SCREENER THAT WAS USED FOR THE SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL NEEDS OF STUDENTS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SCHOOL YEAR AND IF WE'RE PLANNING TO FOLLOW-UP WITH ANOTHER SCREENER LIKE HOW -- CAN YOU TALK ABOUT THAT? IF WE'RE GOING TO CONTINUE USING SOMETHING LIKE THAT IN THE FUTURE.

>> THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.

AND DR. RIEF THANK YOU FOR ATTENDING THE EVENT LAST NIGHT.

YOU CERTAINLY HEARD THE CONCERNS OF PARENTS IN THE COMMUNITY RELATED TO MENTAL HEALTH.

AS THIS GROUP HAS HEARD WE DID IN OCTOBER HAVE UNIVERSAL SCREENING REPRESENTED TO SPECIFICALLY TO COVID TRAUMA AND THAT WAS A LITTLE BIT OF AN AUDIBLE BECAUSE WE HAD BEEN LOOKING AT UNIVERSAL SCREENERS IN GENERAL.

BUT MR. SAMPSON AND HIS TEAM WERE ABLE TO FIND THE SPECIFIC UCLA COVID TRAUMA SCREENER THAT WE GAVE IN OCTOBER AND IT WAS HELPFUL TO OUR STAFF AND I'LL ASK MR. SAMPSON TO SPEAK ON THAT IF HE IS AVAILABLE.

>> SURE.

I NEEDED TO COME OFF MY CLOSED VIDEO SCREEN THERE.

WE WERE ABLE TO PROVIDE THE SCREENER THROUGHOUT THE MONTH OF OCTOBER TO OUR STUDENTS IN GRADES 3-12 AND IN NOVEMBER WE PROVIDED THAT DATA DIRECTLY TO THE SCHOOLS AND PARTICULARLY ASKED THEM THROUGH THE MTSS PROCESS TO REVIEW THE LIST OF STUDENTS BASED UPON THE CUT SCORES THAT WERE PROVIDED TO DETERMINE WHICH STUDENTS NEEDED FOLLOW-UP AND INVESTIGATE FURTHER WHAT SOME OF THE ISSUES MIGHT BE AND THE INTERVENTIONS TO SUPPORT THOSE KIDS.

SO SCHOOLS WERE WORKING ON THAT THROUGHOUT THE MONTH OF DECEMBER.

WE'LL HAVE SOME MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE SPECIFIC SCREENER DATA TO SHARE WITH THE BOARD WHEN WE DO OUR MTSS AND SEAL PRESENTATION IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS AS WELL.

SO WE'LL HAVE SOME ADDITIONAL DATA AT THAT POINT.

WE'RE ALSO LOOKING TO PROVIDE INTERVENTIONS FOR STUDENTS THAT ARE EVIDENCE BASED AND RESEARCH BASED THAT WE'VE BEEN TRAINING ON AND COMPILING FOR SCHOOLS.

SO THAT OUR KIDS THAT HAVE ISSUES WITH TRAUMA THAT ARE ABLE TO GET SOME FOCUSED AND TARGETED SUPPORT WITH RESOURCES THAT ARE SPECIFICALLY GEARED TOWARD AND RESEARCHED ON THOSE TOPICS.

>> I'LL JUST ADD ON TO THAT BECAUSE THIS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF THE CARRY OVER OF THE FALL DATA IS AS WE GO THROUGH OUR SEAL SUPPORT MONDAY DEVELOPMENT INCLUDING WHAT STUDENT POPULATION WOULD WE ADDRESS? WE'RE USING THAT SCREENER AS A TOOL.

KNOWING THAT WE HAVE A LIST OF TIER III STUDENTS AT THAT TIME.

AND DO THEY REQUIRE SUPPORT BEYOND WHAT THEY ARE ABLE TO RECEIVE VIRTUALLY RIGHT NOW.

THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU, DR. CRAWFORD AND IT LOOKS AS THOUGH WE DON'T HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS.

I BETTER CHECK BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE WERE HAVING -- WERE HAVING A HARD TIME RAISING THEIR HAND SO THEY SEND ME MESSAGES.

MS. LORBER.

SHE HAS GOT ONE MORE.

OKAY.

>> THANK YOU.

I JUST COULDN'T SEE.

I TRIED TO CHECK THE LIST IF THERE WERE MORE HANDS RAISED SO I WAITED.

I FEEL LIKE I'VE GOT A LOT OF QUESTIONS.

I WANTED MORE SPECIFICITY IN THE INCREASE IN TRANSLATION SERVICES.

ARE WE REFERRING TO THE FACT THAT WE'RE DOING I KNOW IT DOESN'T REFER TO THE POINT -- THE HALFTIME FTES SO WHAT ARE WE REFERRING TO?

>> I THINK I BELIEVE THAT MR. HUFFMAN AND DR. NICKERSON ARE HERE BUT

THOSE ARE SOME OF THE ADDITIONAL ARABIC SERVICES -- IS THAT -- >> I THOUGHT

THAT WAS UNDER THE OTHER BUDGET BECAUSE WE HIRED -- >> THANK YOU.

THAT IS CORRECT DR. HUTCHINGS.

MS. LORBER WE HAVE THE OPERATING BUDGET FOR TRANSLATION AND

[00:35:04]

INTERPRETATION SERVICES BUT WE'VE EXCEEDED WHAT WE BUDGETED FOR THIS YEAR AND HAVE MANY MORE ADDITIONAL EXPENSES AHEAD SO -- THAT MONEY IS TO COVER THOSE ADDITIONAL EXPENSES WHICH PRIMARILY ARE AS NOTED IN ARABIC AND SPANISH.

>> I MIGHT BE ABLE TO CLARIFY FOR YOU MS. LORBER.

THE PREVIOUS WORK SESSION THAT IS WHERE WE DISCUSSED THE FTES WHERE WE ADDED IT.

WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERES NOT FOR THE FTES.

THIS IS TO GET THOSE SERVICES FROM A THIRD PARTY.

SO WE'RE ADDING THE FUNDS FOR THAT AS WELL AS WE'VE ADDED THE HALFTIME FTES AS WELL.

SO WE SEPARATED IT OUT BECAUSE LAST WEEK IT WAS THE FTES AND THIS WEEK IT'S FOR THE THIRD PARTY.

>> IT ALLOWS US TO -- BECAUSE THE RISING NEED FOR MORE LANGUAGES.

TO USE THE CONTRACT SERVICES OF OTHER LANGUAGES.

IT'S ALLOWING US TO EXPAND OUR TRANSLATION SERVICES.

>> AND TO MEET THE ADDITIONAL NEED THAT WE HAVE.

>> GOT IT.

THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU, EVERYONE.

I DON'T SEE ANY MORE QUESTIONS SO JUST TO CLARIFY.

>> I WAS RAISING MY HAND.

-- >> SORRY.

MY HAND RAISING FEATURE IS NOT WORKING THIS EVENING.

BUT I DID WANT TO ASK A FOLLOW-UP QUESTION ON SLIDE 3.

WHICH IS THE BREAKDOWN OF IMPROVEMENT OF INSTRUCTION.

I WAS INTERESTED IN THE CATEGORY OF KINDERGARTEN AND PREKINDERGARTEN.

AND I KNOW THIS IS NOT FTES HERE.

THERE IS $1.8 MILLION AND WE'RE DOING THE INVESTMENT IN THE LITERACY.

CAN YOU SPEAK MORE ABOUT WHAT THOSE FUNDS WILL BE USED FOR.

THAT IS THE -- >> THAT IS LARGELY THE TRANSFER TO ASSIST WITH THE VIRGINIA PRESCHOOL INITIATIVE.

THAT IS WHAT THOSE FUNDS ARE FOR.

>> GOT IT.

THANKS.

>> YOU'RE WELCOMED.

>> OKAY.

SO IS THAT REALLY THE LAST ONE NOW? SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE.

>> THE HAND FEATURE HAS DISAPPEARED.

IT'S GONE.

>> I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS.

>> I'VE GOT IT.

>> SOME PEOPLE HAVE IT AND SOME PEOPLE DON'T.

BUT WE'LL WORK IT OUT.

SORRY.

SO WITH THAT SAID -- JUST THE REMINDERS -- WOULD THAT RESPONSES TO THE BUDGET QUESTIONS THAT WERE ASKED -- AND SENT IN TO DR. HUTCHINGS AND MR. TURNER THOSE ARE GOING TO BE POSTED.

THOSE ANSWERS WILL BE POSTED TOMORROW WHICH IS FRIDAY.

AND THEN -- ADD DELETES NEED TO BE SUBMITTED BY NOON ON TUESDAY.

SO, THAT IS WHERE WE STAND WITH THOSE UPCOMING DEADLINES.

OKAY.

>> AND I WILL SEND OUT AN E-MAIL WITH THE TEMPLATE FOR ADD DELETES.

>> OKAY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

ALL RIGHT.

SO WE'RE GOING TO MOVE TO POLICIES.

[3. Revisions to C, D and G Policies]

SO MS. ABBRUZZESE YOU'RE UP.

>> GOOD EVENING BOARD.

WE'RE REVIEWING ANOTHER BATCH OF POLICIES.

THEY COME FROM THE C POLICIES WHICH ARE GENERAL ADMINISTRATION, D AND G WHICH IS PERSONNEL.

THIS WEEK AS WE DISCUSSED LAST WEEK WE'RE DOING A LITTLE MORE CLEAN UP OF SOME OF THE HOLD OVERS.

AND WE'LL JUST JUMP RIGHT IN.

THE FIRST ONE IS POLICY CBG AND I BELIEVE SUSAN IS GOING TO SHARE THEM UP ON THE SCREEN.

>> SORRY.

I LOST YOUR DOCUMENT.

>> I'M GOING TO PREVIEW YOU.

FIRST ONE IS CBG.

EVALUATION OF THE SUPERINTENDENT.

THIS POLICY WE'RE LOOKING AT AGAIN BECAUSE IT HAS COME UP IN OUR FIVE-YEAR REVIEW CYCLE AND IT WAS IMPORTANT TO UPDATE IT TO A LINE WITH THE NEW EVALUATION PROCEDURES.

SOME OF THE LANGUAGE WAS UPDATED AND DID NOT FIT OUR CURRENT PRACTICE.

THIS POLICY WAS UPDATED TO REFLECT THAT WITHIN THE NEW BOARD APPROVED DOCUMENT.

[00:40:10]

THE EVALUATION INSTRUMENT.

IT IS BASED ON THE BOE GUIDE FOR UNIFORM PERFORMANCE STANDARDS.

MEASURES THE SUPERINTENDENT'S ACCOMPLISHMENTS UNDER THE AREAS OF FOCUS EACH.

>> AND THE EVALUATION GOALS AND INCLUDES STUDENT ACADEMIC PROGRESS AS A SIGNIFICANT COMPONENT.

LISTS STRENGTHS AND OPPORTUNITIES FOR GROWTH.

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND AN OVER-ALL RATING.

WE UPDATED THIS TO REFLECT THE NEW EVALUATION CYCLE TO DISCUSS THE MID-YEAR EVALUATION AND THE NEW ANNUAL CYCLE ENDS EACH JULY.

THE NEXT POLICY IS CL.

THIS ONE IS ADMINISTRATIVE REPORTS.

THIS ONE AGAIN IS PART OF OUR POLICY CLEAN UP REALIZED LOOKING THROUGH SOME OF THE POLICIES THIS ONE HAS NOT BEEN REVIEWED BY THE BOARD SINCE 1996 AND IN FACT -- THE LEAD OF THE POLICY IN 2012 BECAUSE IT IS DUPLICATIVE -- THOSE DISCUSSIONS OF PROVIDING REPORTS WAS INCORPORATED AS FAR BACK AS 2012.

AND IT'S JUST ONE THAT WE NEED TO CLEAN UP ON OUR BOOKS.

NEXT POLICY IS CM.

SCHOOL DIVISION ANNUAL REPORT.

NO RECOMMENDED CHANGES.

I'VE JUST CLEANED UP THE CROSS-REFERENCES.

IT'S BEEN MORE THAN FIVE YEARS SINCE IT HAS BEEN REVIEWED BY THE BOARD.

>> JENNIFER, YOU'RE ON MUTE.

>> THANK YOU.

CAN YOU HEAR ME?

-- >> YEAH.

>> APOLOGIES.

I DON'T KNOW HOW IT HAPPENED.

WE'RE ON POLICY DB WHICH IS REGARDING THE ANNUAL BUDGET.

THIS POLICY HAS NOT BEEN REVIEWED BY THE BOARD IN FIVE YEARS.

THERE HAVE BEEN NO STATUTORY CHANGES THAT WOULD IMPACT THE CONTEMPT.

WE'VE CLEANED UP THE LEGAL REFERENCES TO PROPERLY REFLECT THE TEXT BUT THERE ARE NO CONTENT CHANGES RECOMMENDED AT THIS TIME.

NEXT IS POLICY DI.

THIS IS THE SAME STORY.

FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING AND REPORTING.

I THINK YOU'RE NOTICING A PATTERN HERE.

NO RECOMMENDED CHANGES.

NO CHANGES IN THE LAW.

IT HAS BEEN FIVE YEARS SINCE THE BOARD REVIEWED IT.

NEXT IS POLICY DJ.

THIS POLICY REGARDING SMALL PURCHASING DOES REFLECT A STATUTORY AMENDMENTS.

THE PROCUREMENT ACT WAS REVISED TO INCREASE THE CAP FROM $100,000 TO $200,000.

REGARDING SINGLE OR TERM CONTRACT THAT'S THE BOARD MAY ENTER INTO FOR GOODS OR SERVICES OTHER THAN THAN PROFESSIONAL SERVICES.

THIS IS GOING TO BE SMALL PURCHASES WHERE THE AGGREGATE OR THE SUM IS NOT EXPECTED TO EXCEED $200,000.

THIS IS REGARDING THE NUMBER OF WRITTEN QUOTES.

THE CAP WAS RAISED FROM $100,000 TO $200,000.

NEXT POLICY IS DJF.

PURCHASING PROCEDURES.

AGAIN THIS ONE DOES REFLECT A STATUTORY CHANGE.

THERE WAS A CHANGE TO VIRGINIA CODE 22.1-296.1.

THIS IS A SIMILAR CHANGE TO A POLICY WE LOOKED AT LAST WEEK WHERE THE LANGUAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED REGARDING FELONY CONVICTION.

YOU WILL SEE IN THE FIRST PARAGRAPH ESSENTIALLY THIS POLICY ADDRESSES THE FACT THAT THE BOARD CANNOT AWARD CONTRACTS TO CONTRACTORS IF THEIR EMPLOYEES ARE GOING TO HAVE DIRECT CONTACT WITH STUDENTS AND THEY'VE BEEN CONVICTED OF CERTAIN FELONIES AND ALSO ONCE WE HAVE A CONTRACT WITH AN OUTSIDE COMPANY THEY MUST CERTIFY THAT THEIR EMPLOYEES WHO ARE GOING TO HAVE CONTACT WITH STUDENTS DO NOT HAVE ANY OF THESE CONVICTIONS SO THE LANGUAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED TO ALLOW FOR THAT.

NEXT POLICY IS DN.

DISPOSAL OF SURPLUS ITEMS. THERE ARE NO CHANGES THAT ARE RECOMMENDED AT THIS TIME.

WE HAVE UPDATED THE CROSSED REFERENCES AND THE LEGAL REFERENCES AND YOU ARE ALSO SEEING THIS BECAUSE YOU WILL SEE OVER THE COURSE OF THIS WORK SESSION AND OUR NEXT WORK SESSION WE WILL BE BRINGING ALL OF THE FISCAL MANAGEMENT POLICIES

[00:45:04]

UP-TO-DATE AND AS THE APPROVAL DATE FOR THIS ONE BE BECOMING DUE I WANTED TO INCLUDE IT SO WE CAN FINISH IT AS A WHOLE AND MOVE ON.

ALL RIGHT.

THAT IS THE LAST D POLICY.

NOW WE'RE GOING TO MOVE ON TO THE PERSONNEL POLICIES.

THE G POLICY.

POLICY GC.

LICENSED STAFF.

THIS POLICY DOES REFLECT A CHANGE TO THE CODE 22.1-299.

I KNOW THIS WILL LOOK FAMILIAR TO THE BOARD.

WE DID DISCUSS THIS AT THE JANUARY 30, 2020 WORK SESSION.

THE TWO CHANGES IN THE CODE WERE REVIEWED AT THAT TIME.

THAT THE SUPERINTENDENT MAY REQUEST THE EXTENSION OF A TEACHER'S THREE-YEAR PROVISIONAL LICENSE FOR AT LEAST ONE MORE YEAR BUT FOR NO MORE THAN TWO YEARS AND THE SECOND CHANGE IS THAT THE SCHOOL BOARD MAY WAVE APPLICABLE LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AS SPECIFIED IN THE CODE.

IF THE TEACHER IS SEEKING A POINT MEANT AS A CTE TEACHER AND IS SEEKING THAT ENDORSEMENT THOSE TWO CHANGES TO THE CODE WERE DISCUSSED AS I SAID A YEAR AGO IN OUR WORK SESSION PRIOR TO THE SHUT DOWN.

THIS POLICY DID NOT RETURN TO THE BOARD BECAUSE IT WAS PAUSE THERE WAS A BOARD QUESTION ON THAT EVENING, WE WANTED TO GET THE ANSWER TO BEFORE BRINGING IT BACK AND THAT QUESTION IS HOW MANY EMPLOYEES DO WE HAVE IN THE DIVISION AT THIS TIME WHO HAVE PROVISIONAL LICENSES? WE HAVE 88 STAFF MEMBERS WITH PROVISIONAL LICENSES RIGHT NOW.

I'M INFORMED THAT THE VDOE IS STILL PROCESSING SOME OF THE NEW HIRE PACKETS AND THAT CAN TAKE UP TO 12-14 WEEKS SO WHEN THOSE PACKETS ARE PROCESSED WE'LL HAVE CLOSER TO 100 STAFF MEMBERS WITH PROVISIONAL LICENSES AT THIS TIME.

THE NEXT POLICY IS GCG.

THIS REFLECTS A CHANGE TO THE CODE 22.1-303.

YOU'LL SEE THE TWO CHANGES HIGHLIGHTED IN BLUE.

THE SCHOOL DIVISION IS NO LONGER PERMITTED TO EXTEND A PROBATIONARY TERM FOR A TEACHER.

THE PROBATIONARY PERIOD FOR AN ADDITIONAL YEAR.

IT'S A PROBATIONARY SERVICE TERM OF THREE YEARS AND PREVIOUSLY IN THE CODE YOU COULD HAVE EXTEND EDIT UP TO FIVE BUT NO LONGER CAN BE EXTENDED.

THE SECOND CHANGES THAT THE SCHOOL BOARD IS NO LONGER PROHIBITED FROM REEMPLOYING A PROBATIONARY TEACHER WHO RECEIVES AN UNSATISFACTORY POSITION.

AND THE FINAL POLICY FOR THIS EVENING IS GCPB.

RESIGNATION OF STAFF MEMBERS.

AGAIN THIS IS THE OTHER POLICY THAT WAS DISCUSSED ABOUT A YEAR AGO ON JANUARY 30 OF LAST YEAR AT THE WORK SESSION.

THIS REFLECTED A CHANGE TO THE CODE 22.1-304 WHICH YOU WILL SEE THERE IN BLUE REGARDING TEACHERS WHO RESIGN AND THE TIMING OF THE RESIGNATION AND THE TWO WEEK NOTICE.

THAT THE CODE REQUIRES TO BE PROVIDED.

THE QUESTION WAS ASKED IF THIS APPLIES TO ALL TEACHER RESIGNATION --S AND AFTER DISCUSSING THE MATTER WITH DR. WILKINS WE ASK TEACHERS TO PROVIDE TWO OR MORE WEEKS NOTICE AS A COURTESY TO THE PRINCIPAL AND THE DIVISION.

THE SUPERVISOR CAN MAKE THE NECESSARY STAFFING UPDATES SO NO MATTER WHAT TIME OF YEAR WE REQUEST TWO WEEKS IN ADVANCE ALTHOUGH WE KNOW THAT DOESN'T ALWAYS HAPPEN.

LIFE INTERVENES SOMETIMES BUT WE REQUEST THAT AS A COURTESY TO THE DIVISION.

OKAY I'M HAPPY TO ENTERTAIN YOUR QUESTIONS.

>> OKAY.

SO WE'RE GOING TO START WITH MR. SUAREZ AND THEN MOVE ON TO MR. GENTRY.

>> I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS -- IF YOU'LL INDULGE.

FIRST QUESTION IS ON I CAN GO IN REVERSE ORDER.

GCG AND THANK YOU FOR EXPLAINING THE RATIONAL FOR THE SECOND CHANGE.

I GUESS -- I UNDERSTAND STRIKING THAT BECAUSE THE BOARD IS NO LONGER COMPELLED BY LAW TO NOT REEMPLOY THE TEACHER IF THE TEACHER FAILS THE EVALUATION BUT I JUST

[00:50:03]

WANT TO PUT IT TO THE BOARD -- I WONDER IF THAT KIND OF CIRCUMSTANCE OUR POLICY IF A TEACHER GETS A NONSATISFACTORY EVALUATION THAT THE -- BASICALLY THE TEACHER SHOULD NOT BE EMPLOYED UNLESS THERE IS SOME SORT OF WRITTEN JUSTIFICATION OR SOMETHING PROVIDED TO THE BOARD.

WE AS A BOARD ARE TRYING TO MAINTAIN THE FIDELITY OF EVALUATIONS AND ENSURING HIGH EXPECTATIONS INTO THE DIVISION AND I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT WANT IT TO BE CATEGORICAL IF IT WAS NOT SATISFACTORY IF THE SUPERINTENDENT FEELS THAT THE STAFF MEMBER IS ON A TRAJECTORY TOWARD IMPROVEMENT OR HAS A POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND WE THINK THIS TEACHER WOULD NOT BE DETRIMENTAL -- I WAS JUST CURIOUS WHAT OTHERS THOUGHT.

>> I COULD SUGGEST WE COULD CHANGE IT TO SCHOOL BOARD MAY NOT REEMPLOY THE TEACHER.

>> YEAH.

I DON'T KNOW.

IT JUST SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE GOOD TO HAVE A POLICY IF THE PROBATIONARY TEACHER'S EVALUATION IS NOT SATISFACTORY THAT IS A PROBLEM AND NOW IT'S KIND OF OPEN TO INTERPRETATION.

SO MAYBE IT'S A FURTHER DISCUSSION AT ANOTHER TIME BUT -- BECAUSE THE LAW DOESN'T COMPEL US TO FULLY STRIKE THAT IN THIS WAY I UNDERSTAND WE CAN STRIKE IT BASED ON THE LEGAL CHANGE BUT IT JUST SEEMED TO ME TO GO A LITTLE TOO FAR.

>> CAN I JUST -- MY COMMENT -- >> WAIT A MINUTE BECAUSE I THINK DR. HUTCHINGS WANTED TO CHIME IN WITH AN ANSWER TO MR. SUAREZ.

>> I WAS GOING TO REITERATE WHAT MR. SUAREZ WAS SAYING.

I DO THINK THAT AN UNSATISFACTORY EVALUATION FOR A PROBATIONARY TEACHER WOULD CAUSE SOME MAJOR ALARM.

THERE ARE OTHER FACTORS THAT WOULD HAVE TO, CONSIDERED AS WELL FOR TERMINATION BECAUSE ONE THING THAT WE'RE TRYING TO PROJECT WITH OUR NEW TEACHER EVALUATION SYSTEM THAT WE'VE DEVELOPED IS THAT OUR VALUATION PROTOCOL IS A PROFESSIONAL GROWTH OPPORTUNITY AND THAT WE WANT STAFF TO UNDERSTAND IT'S NOT THE MECHANISM TO TERMINATE YOU.

IT'S A MECHANISM TO HELP YOU BE BETTER AS A PROFESSIONAL AND THAT IF YOU ARE IN THE UNSATISFACTORY RATING THERE ARE GOING TO BE SOME OTHER THINGS THAT MUST RESULT TO YOU GETTING TO THE UNSATISFACTORY AREA.

SO I'M JUST SAYING I HEAR YOU 100% THAT IT IS ALARMING FOR ANY PROBATIONARY PERSON TO BE -- BUT THE WAY WE'RE PUTTING OUR SYSTEM IN PLACE IS THERE ARE ADDITIONAL FACTORS SO IT'S NOT JUST AN UNSATISFACTORY EVALUATION.

>> AND TO BE CLEAR I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT YOU SAID THERE 100% AND I GUESS MAYBE TO PUT IT AND THIS COULD BE TABLED FOR ANOTHER TIME.

I WONDER IF WE WANT TO SAY SOMETHING AFFIRMATIVELY AS A BOARD WE'RE GOING TO SUPPORT THE TEACHER AND MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE SUCCESSFUL IN THE EVENT THAT THEY ARE RETAINED.

JUST SOMETHING TO THINK B.

-- ABOUT.

>> I THINK IT MIGHT BE WORTH A REVISIT IN THAT SENSE BECAUSE I AGREE -- WE DO -- IT'S A PROFESSION AND WE DO WANT -- HIGH CALIBER AND HIGH QUALITY INDIVIDUALS AND WITH THE PROBATIONARY TEACHER IT'S A PROBATIONARY LICENSE HOWEVER ON THE OTHER SIDE I WOULD WANT US TO HAVE IN PLACE SOMETHING THAT STATES AFFIRMATIVELY THAT WE'RE DOING OUR DEW DILIGENCE IN TERMS OF WHAT DR. HUTCHINGS WAS TALKING ABOUT WHICH WAS PROVIDING THAT PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT THROUGH OUR EVALUATION PROCESS SO THAT THE TEACHER EVALUATION ALONE DOESN'T -- I ALWAYS THINK YOU WANT TO

[00:55:04]

CRAFT THINGS IN A WAY THAT WHEN WE ARE NOT HERE 10 YEARS FROM NOW IT DOESN'T -- IT CAN'T FLIP IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.

SO I THINK REALLY GOOD POINTS AND MAYBE WE FIGURE OUT HOW TO REVISIT AND IF THERE IS A WAY TO INFUSE WHAT DR. HUTCHINGS WAS SAYING INTO THE POLICY.

THAT WOULD BE REALLY GOOD.

>> WE CAN BRING YOU BACK SOME REVISED LANGUAGE.

>> THANK YOU.

OKAY.

SO I HAVE -- AND THE AND LET ME FIRST ASK MS. LORBER ARE YOU CAN?

>> I'M FINE.

>> OKAY.

>> AND MEAGAN I HAVE A QUESTION ON ONE MORE POLICY BUT I CAN GO TO THE BACK.

>> LET ME GET MS. GENTRY IN.

>> SOUNDS GOOD.

>> THANK YOU.

I'LL JUST SINCE WE WERE TALKING ABOUT IT I DO THINK SOMETIMES WHAT IS REALLY HELPFUL ABOUT THE WAY OUR POLICIES ARE STRUCTURED IS THAT WE HAVE THE POLICY AND THEN WE HAVE THE REGULATIONS THAT LIVE UNDERNEATH THAT.

SO IT OCCURS TO ME THAT THE SORT OF NUANCE THAT I'M HEARING PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IN TERMS OF WHAT DO WE MEAN BY WHAT ACTUAL IMPROVEMENT PROCESSOR -- PROCESS -- OR ULTIMATELY SEPARATION -- THAT THAT COULD LIVE IN THE REGULATION AND I THINK THAT MIGHT -- BUT THIS WAY THAT THE TOP LEVEL REALLY JUST HOLDS TO THE VIRGINIA STATUTORY CHANGES AND THINGS LIKE THAT SO I'M GOING TO THROW THAT OUT THERE BUT I WILL LOOK FORWARD AS ALWAYS TO HEARING WHAT THEY BRING BACK IN TERMS OF SUGGESTIONS.

I JUST HAVE A QUICK CLARIFICATION FOR THE LAST POLICY THAT WAS DISCUSSED ABOUT THE RESIGNATIONS.

THE TIME PERIOD.

WORKING DAYS -- NONWORKING DAYS AGO? FOR THE TWO WEEK PERIOD? HOW IS TWO WEEKS DEFINED?

>> IT IS DEFINED AS TWO WEEKS IN TERMS OF CALENDAR DAYS.

>> OKAY.

ALSO NOT DEFINED AS WORKING DAYS.

THE LANGUAGE THAT YOU SEE HERE IN THE POLICY IS IS THE EXACT LANGUAGE FROM THE CODE.

SO.

>> OKAY.

I KNOW WE HAVE THE CODE BUT IF I HAD THAT QUESTION IT MAKES ME WONDER IF OTHER PEOPLE HAVE THAT QUESTION AND ALSO IF THERE IS A HOLIDAY PERIOD THAT FALLS IN THERE DOES THAT IN ANY WAY IMPACT THE TWO WEEK EXPECTATION?

>> THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.

WE'LL MAKE SURE WE CLARIFY THAT.

>> IF SOMEBODY WAS TO PUT IN A TWO WEEK RESIGNATION OVER OUR WINTER BREAK PERIOD WOULD THAT HAVE -- I'M WONDERING ABOUT THOSE KINDS OF THINGS.

THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU, MS. GENTRY AND I HAVE TO SAY IF TERRY WARNER IS HERE THAT FIRST COMMENT YOU MADE YOU BROUGHT ME TO TERRY OF WARNER BECAUSE SHE REMINDED ME OF THAT LAST NIGHT IS THERE IS ALWAYS OUR POLICY BUT WE HAVE THE TIME TO DEVELOP REGULATION.

SO SOMETIMES WE FORGET THAT.

BUT IT'S A FINE LINE.

SO ALL RIGHT.

IS THERE ANYONE WHOSE HAND THEY TRIED TO RAISE AND THEY COULD NOT RAISE IT? SPEAK NOW -- MR. SUAREZ, YOU CAN RAISE YOUR HAND.

GO AHEAD.

>> ONE MORE QUESTION.

THIS IS ON CBG -- THE SUPERINTENDENT EVALUATION POLICY.

AND THIS IS SORT OF A LAWYER HYPER TECHNICAL SLIGHT CONCERN THAT I WANTED TO RAISE.

IF YOU'LL INDULGE -- SO OBVIOUSLY HAVING BEEN ON THE COMMITTEE I APPRECIATE AND VERY MUCH VALUE THE FACT THAT THERE IS A COLLABORATIVE PROCESS WITH THE SUPERINTENDENT AND CREATING THE INSTRUMENT AND I DEFINITELY WANT THAT TO CONTINUE -- SO I JUST WANT TO PREFERENCE THIS COMMENT WITH THAT STATEMENT.

BUT I'M CONCERNED ABOUT THE CHANGE IN THE LANGUAGE FROM THIS JOINTLY AGREEABLE TO THIS JOINTLY AGREED UPON INSTRUMENT.

THIS IS NOT.

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT I WOULD FORESEE WITH DR. HUTCHINGS.

BUT IF THERE IS AN AD VERY SERIAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE SCHOOL BOARD AND THE

[01:00:06]

SUPERINTENDENT THIS LANGUAGE TO ME READS AS THOUGH THERE HAS TO BE A FORMAL AGREEMENT, A FULL AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE SUPERINTENDENT AND THE SCHOOL BOARD ON THE INSTRUMENT AND IF I RECALL CORRECTLY PROCEDURALLY WE VOTED ON THE INSTRUMENT AS A BOARD.

SO I FEEL LIKE THIS LANGUAGE NEEDS TO BE CHANGED TO SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT OF THIS JOINTLY DEVELOPED INSTRUMENT, AGREED AND ADOPTED BY THE BOARD -- OR MAYBE WE GO BACK TO THE AGREEABLE LANGUAGE WHICH IS MORE ASPIRATIONAL IN TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE SUPERINTENDENT AND THE SCHOOL BOARD BUT I DON'T WANT THIS LANGUAGE TO BE SOMETHING IF THERE IS -- NOT A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WHEN THE SUPERINTENDENT AND THE SCHOOL BOARD AGAIN 20 YEARS DOWN THE LINE THAT THIS WOULD BIND THE SCHOOL BOARD TO NOT AND PUT IT IN A DEADLOCK TO NOT HAVE AN EVALUATION.

THE BOARD CAN ALWAYS CHANGE THE POLICY BUT I PREFER TO NOT HAVE THAT KIND OF SITUATION ARISE IN THE FUTURE.

SO -- AND I DON'T KNOW IF THERE WAS A RATIONAL TO CHANGE AGREEABLE TO AGREED UPON.

JUST A HYPER TECHNICAL QUESTION.

>> DR. HUTCHINGS DO YOU WANT TO SPEAK TO THAT AT ALL ABOUT THE POTENTIAL TO CHANGE IT TO JOINTLY DEVELOPED.

>> I WOULD DEFER TO THE BOARD TO HEAR WHAT THE BOARD MEMBERS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT.

I KNOW PART OF THE DISCUSSION THAT WE HAD WHEN WE WERE DEVELOPING EVALUATION INSTRUMENT WAS THAT WE WANTED -- THE EVALUATION PROCESS TO BE A COLLABORATIVE EFFORT.

I WOULD ASSUME THAT WE WOULD WANT THE OUTCOME TO BE A COLLABORATIVE EFFORT AS WELL

SO I WOULD DEFER TO THE BOARD -- >> I MEAN -- I SEE GENTRY'S HAND.

I DON'T SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH JOINTLY -- WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY MR. SUAREZ.

>> I SAID JOINTLY DEVELOPED OR JOINTLY AGREEABLE AS IT WAS BEFORE AND I WAS NOT SURE IF THERE IS A RATIONAL.

AS A LAWYER WHEN I SEE AGREED UPON THAT SUGGEST THAT THERE IS A FORMAL AGREEMENT AND SINCE WE ADOPTED IT AS A BOARD SEPARATELY FROM THAT I'M WORRIED ABOUT MORE LEGAL COMPLICATIONS.

IT'S NOT THAT I DON'T WANT IT TO BE COLLABORATIVE.

I VERY MUCH DO.

>> IN TERMS OF THE PROCESS IT WAS JOINTLY DEVELOPED SO I DON'T SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

THAT SEEMS REASONABLE BECAUSE THAT IS HOW THE PROCESS WAS SET UP AND THAT IS HOW WE EXECUTED.

SO IF THERE IS NO NO ONE HAS A PROBLEM WITH THAT CHANGE I WOULD BE FINE WITH IT.

MS. GENTRY YOU WANTED TO COMMENT AS WELL.

>> I THINK THAT WOULD BE FINE.

WE NEED TO MAKE SURE WE'RE KEEPING THE SPIRIT OF JOINT.

EVEN IN NONSCHOOL WORLD THERE IS -- THE BEST PRACTICES WITH SUPERVISORS AND PLOY -- EMPLOYEES IS THAT THEY DO IT TOGETHER.

LET'S DEVELOP THE GOALS FOR THIS YEAR.

WE BOTH AGREE, RIGHT AND BEFORE THE YEAR STARTS.

SO IT OCCURS TO ME AND I'M GOING TO SAY SOMETHING THAT IS PRETTY OBVIOUS AND I'M SURE MS. ABBRUZZESE WOULD SAY THIS.

THERE ARE MULTIPLE RESOURCES AROUND THIS.

IF THEY'VE GOT SOME SAMPLE LANGUAGE THAT SOME OTHER DIVISIONS THAT CAME UP WITH WHEN THEY MADE ANY CHANGES TO THEIR SUPERINTENDENT EVALUATION POLICY -- IF THOSE WENT THROUGH -- THAT MIGHT LEAD TO SOME INSPIRATION.

THAT WAS THE ONLY SUGGESTION THAT I HAD.

>> SO JENNIFER, DOES THAT HELP YOU AT ALL.

DO YOU THINK CHANGING TO JOINTLY -- DEVELOPED -- >> I THINK THAT IS A GOOD

[01:05:02]

SOLUTION.

>> GREAT.

>> LET ME CHECK.

ANY OTHER HANDS BEFORE WE -- >> YES, MADAM CHAIR.

>> ALL RIGHT.

DR. RIEF.

>> THANK YOU FOR COMING BACK WITH A NUMBER OF STAFF -- WITH PROVISIONAL LICENSES.

I WAS CURIOUS, DO YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER BREAK DOWN OR CAN YOU TALK ABOUT WHO WOULD FIT INTO THAT CATEGORY.

IN THE POLICY IT TALKED ABOUT CAREER AND TECHNICAL EDUCATION, TEACHERS WHO WOULD HAVE A UNIQUE SKILL SET.

THERE MAY BE CAREER SWITCHERS BUT IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER BREAK DOWN OF THAT NUMBER I WOULD BE REALLY INTERESTED TO HEAR IT.

>> I DO NOT.

I DON'T KNOW IF DR. WILKINS WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK TO THAT OR DR. HUTCHINGS.

>> I CANNOT.

I'LL RESEARCH IT AND GET BACK TO THE BOARD.

THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU.

>> OKAY.

WITH THAT SAID -- WE HAVE REACHED THE END OF OUR WORK SESSION.

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.